Yesterday was a classic example of SU needing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Yesterday was a classic example of SU needing

UNC's raw materials are better than SU's raw materials. We have 2 guys who would be in the rotation at UNC. The others would not be on the team.
Which 2? Lydon and Battle? You think Luke Maye is better than Roberson? I don't even think Roy does

UNC beat us because their greatest strength happens to also be our greatest weakness, but we have some talented starters.

Longtimesu said:
OK thanks! Now I'm curious. Who did coach those guys? And who coached the SF's?

Rob Murphy for a long time and before him Troy Weaver, before that Louie Orr and before that Wayne Morgan...

Which 2? Lydon and Battle? You think Luke Maye is better than Roberson? I don't even think Roy does

UNC beat us because their greatest strength happens to also be our greatest weakness, but we have some talented starters.

Not a 1 to 1 comparison. Maye is a sophomore. He also had 15 rebounds vs Florida State.

if you're gonna teach somebody to ride a horse it's somewhat helpful that you've actually saddled up yourself.

if you're gonna teach somebody to ride a horse it's somewhat helpful that you've actually saddled up yourself.
If you're suggesting only a big man can successfully coach big men, you'd obviously be wrong. And if you're suggesting only former college players can successfully coach in college, you'd be wrong again.

i said "somewhat helpful". there's a difference between prerequisite and preferable. but you can certainly learn more in the paint than in a book.

Last edited:
The lack of Big has nothing to with the big man coach. These kids are not fans of the zone, it does not highlight their skill set.

In a different sport, there a plenty of golfing teachers who couldn't begin to play the game their students can but they are adept at seeing the strengths and errors in their game.

I doubt that is a lot different in basketball.

In a different sport, there a plenty of golfing teachers who couldn't begin to play the game their students can but they are adept at seeing the strengths and errors in their game.

I doubt that is a lot different in basketball.

they have at least swung clubs i hope. nobody on this staff ever played frontline. they may know it in theory but not practice.

Dump and chase. It wouldn't surprise me if Roy has a practice drill actually called dump and chase. He recruits a few water bug PGs, teaches his bigs to get out and fill the lanes, and voila, 85 PPG. Having a shooter or 2 for a bail out 3 is icing on the cake.
Winning basketball isn't rocket science. Teach solid fundamentals and drill it into the players. If you can recruit the players for your system, you will likely be successful. JBs system can only afford a one and done every few years because the zone looks terrible when we don't have the synergy that takes a couple of years to develop. The zone is kind of like Babers offense in the way the players need to "just know" where to be on the court. If they have to think, they are toast because it isn't hard to beat if it's mediocre, as this season has shown.
I wish we were more sound on fast breaks, though. I go crazy when we have a 3-1 or 4-2 breaks only to not score. Those should be automatics.

"the zone looks terrible when we don't have the synergy that takes a couple of years to develop."

well we won our only championship with 3 frosh, 3 sophs, 1 jr and 1 sr (mr. kueth duany) how much synergy was that ?

"the zone looks terrible when we don't have the synergy that takes a couple of years to develop."

well we won our only championship with 3 frosh, 3 sophs, 1 jr and 1 sr (mr. kueth duany) how much synergy was that ?
The NC was as much a product of a versatile and dynamic offense (and strong rebounding at both ends) as it was JB's zone.

Roberson would 100% start for UNC. He would have had a much different career on a different team that plays man to man. As others have said unc chucks and rebounds. That's made for TR

Roberson would 100% start for UNC. He would have had a much different career on a different team that plays man to man. As others have said unc chucks and rebounds. That's made for TR

Rebounding is one thing. It's his offense that holds him back. He's not a better passer, finisher, or shooter than Bradley, Meeks, or Hicks.

Rebounding is one thing. It's his offense that holds him back. He's not a better passer, finisher, or shooter than Bradley, Meeks, or Hicks.

All of those guys can knock down the mid-ranged jumper with ease. Robey has better instincts for rebounding than pretty much everyone in the ACC that I've seen.

we have 2 offensive players in lydon and a-trey who are both liabilities on defense . roberson's D somewhat balances that out.
we don't need him to score. we need him to board and defend. i know it's not as glamorous but somebody has to do it !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom