You can officially scratch Gross for the A.D. list after this comment | Syracusefan.com

You can officially scratch Gross for the A.D. list after this comment

retro44

Living Legend
"I've got something to add about the Meadowlands since we don't have an athletic director right now," Babers said. "I want this to be the last time we ever go to the Meadowlands to play Notre Dame University. The next nine times that we play Notre Dame University, we're playing them in the damn Dome!"

Dino Babers ...2016

I know the meadowlands isn't popular. STH's dislike the idea b/c it's not part of their package. Central NewYorkers .. the bulwark of the SU fan-base .. don't like to have to travel 4 hours to a "home" game. And of course, the idea that ND's so much better than we are that it shouldn't have to sully itself by playing in the Dome .. is a bit unpleasant, granted.

But there is an upside. For one, we're a school that's a national power in BB, but an aspirant in FB (at least right now). I think we have a national brand and we can get back there. But one of the ways we do that is by keeping our image up in national markets. We can buy cable coverage and radio coverage galore, but actually playing a team like ND in the NYC area is a great way to maintain relevance as we rebuild.

Second, many people don't realize that upstate NY and downstate are distinct regions. Those of us in upstate may not relish traveling ... but to college football fans whether we're at the Dome or NYC .. isn't a critical distinction. It almost makes it seem like NYC is our back yard.

So while there's a sacrifice for fans .. playing in the meadowlands has some positive aspects we should keep in mind.

Last edited:
It ended up being a 1-2-2 (H-A-N) deal... better than the 0-2-2 deal that it started as.
If the ACC-ND deal is extended, I could see SU continuing to get 5 games instead of 4. This time it would have to be 2-2-1. ND might fight for 1-1-3 or 1-1-2 instead, which SU would hopefully reject.

I would think that even most of the locals would be OK with 2-2-1 over a 10-year span.

reedny said:
I know the meadowlands isn't popular. STH's dislike the idea b/c it's not part of their package. Central NY's .. the bulwark of the SU fan-base .. don't like to have to travel 4 hours to a "home" game. And of course, the idea that ND's so much better than we are that it shouldn't have to sully itself by playing in the Dome .. is a bit unpleasant, granted. But there is an upside. For one, we're a school that's a national power in BB, but an aspirant in FB (at least right now). I think we have a national brand and we can get back there. But one of the ways we do that is by keeping our image up in national markets. We can buy cable coverage and radio coverage galore, but actually playing a team like ND in the NYC area is a great way to maintain relevance as we rebuild. Second, many people don't realize that upstate NY and downstate are distinct regions. Those of us in upstate may not relish traveling ... but to college football fans whether we're at the Dome or NYC .. isn't a critical distinction. It almost makes it seem like NY is our back yard. So while there's some sacrifice to fans .. playing in the meadowlands has some positive aspects we should keep in mind.

Have always agreed. But some have trouble seeing the big picture on this. It's the reason, for example, that Duke is playing four basketball games in the NY metro area this year -- and Duke is a household name in hoops. But they realize they continue to need to raise their profile in a large media market. I know people who can't even find Syracuse on a map. It's important, now and then, to get out and make a splash on a big stage.

I'm a little disappointed Babers doesn't see this.

Just as I was disappointed he thinks 44 should remain retired.

There was a time just a few short years ago when making these deals had a more pragmatic impact on AD revenues, providing a much-needed influx of millions in funding for athletic department operations.

And in the main, I agree that these are profile building games in terms of our NYC presence. Plus, for the last 10+ years we've generally sucked, and haven't had much clout in terms of "demanding" home-and-homes with top notch schools. Nor did home attendance warrant having these teams come to the Dome.

The financial dynamic has already changed now that we're sharing ACC revenues. Hopefully the on-field product--and the program's perception in the sports media--also changes as a function of Dino's coaching prowess, positioning us differently in regards to future scheduling negotiations.

Last edited:
It ended up being a 1-2-2 (H-A-N) deal... better than the 0-2-2 deal that it started as.
If the ACC-ND deal is extended, I could see SU continuing to get 5 games instead of 4. This time it would have to be 2-2-1. ND might fight for 1-1-3 or 1-1-2 instead, which SU would hopefully reject.

I would think that even most of the locals would be OK with 2-2-1 over a 10-year span.

Over the 12 year life of the deal, ND will play everyone 4 times, and 4 lucky teams will get a 5th game (14 teams x 4 games each = 56 games, plus 4 extra to get to 60).

In this 12 year cycle, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and Wake get the extra game.

If ND re-ups for another 12 year cycle, I doubt the ACC will give SU another extra. The ACC will share the wealth.

In this 12 year cycle, Syracuse, BC, Pitt, and Wake get the extra game.

If ND re-ups for another 12 year cycle, I doubt the ACC will give SU another extra. The ACC will share the wealth.
So, you're saying that ND would agree to another deal without having any input?
Also remember that SU was the only program that didn't get 2 home games out of the first 12-year agreement.

If the ACC would "share the wealth" then they'd grant SU an extra home game.

Putting theses two items together, I'd still predict that it would end up being a 2-2-1 arrangement.

Waiting for HC Brian Kelly to respond we will play that University of Syracuse team wherever. ;):)

I bleeping love Dino Babers. He gets it. No more Metlife home games. This ND series was awful once we joined the ACC and should have been cancelled then.

The ACC did Syracuse a solid it didn't have to do. We gave up 2 home games for cash that Gross needed years ago. Now it seems we have a HC who gets it.

So, you're saying that ND would agree to another deal without having any input?
Also remember that SU was the only program that didn't get 2 home games out of the first 12-year agreement.

If the ACC would "share the wealth" then they'd grant SU an extra home game.

Putting theses two items together, I'd still predict that it would end up being a 2-2-1 arrangement.
Why would the ACC give SU a 3rd home game again when Clemson/Florida State carry the FB banner and would want those home games.

The ACC bailed us out this 12 year cycle. They won't do it again and they shouldn't. As the other ACC teams deserve those extra games it isn't there fault SU was stupid and acted like a midmajor.
ACC owes SU nothing if ND re-ups with the ACC.

cuseguy said:
Have always agreed. But some have trouble seeing the big picture on this. It's the reason, for example, that Duke is playing four basketball games in the NY metro area this year -- and Duke is a household name in hoops. But they realize they continue to need to raise their profile in a large media market. I know people who can't even find Syracuse on a map. It's important, now and then, to get out and make a splash on a big stage. I'm a little disappointed Babers doesn't see this. Just as I was disappointed he thinks 44 should remain retired.

I think you're reading too much into it. He's just a football coach throwing out a sound byte to win over the local fans.

If his offense does what it has done other places then he can say we should return to our pink & green roots for all I care. Doesn't mean it would ever happen.

I know the meadowlands isn't popular. STH's dislike the idea b/c it's not part of their package. Central NY's .. the bulwark of the SU fan-base .. don't like to have to travel 4 hours to a "home" game. And of course, the idea that ND's so much better than we are that it shouldn't have to sully itself by playing in the Dome .. is a bit unpleasant, granted.

But there is an upside. For one, we're a school that's a national power in BB, but an aspirant in FB (at least right now). I think we have a national brand and we can get back there. But one of the ways we do that is by keeping our image up in national markets. We can buy cable coverage and radio coverage galore, but actually playing a team like ND in the NYC area is a great way to maintain relevance as we rebuild.

Second, many people don't realize that upstate NY and downstate are distinct regions. Those of us in upstate may not relish traveling ... but to college football fans whether we're at the Dome or NYC .. isn't a critical distinction. It almost makes it seem like NY is our back yard.

So while there's some sacrifice to fans .. playing in the meadowlands has some positive aspects we should keep in mind.

I was in favor of playing them in the Meadowlands when we actually needed the money. How many other teams in the ACC have to play them at a neutral site?

Now that they are contractually obligated for 5 games a year against ACC teams and SU is in the rotation, they shouldn't be able to negotiate terms like where the game is played. They should show up where they are told just like a league game as that is what they signed up for when they joined.

Alsacs said:
Why would the ACC give SU a 3rd home game again when Clemson/Florida State carry the FB banner and would want those home games. The ACC bailed us out this 12 year cycle. They won't do it again and they shouldn't. As the other ACC teams deserve those extra games it isn't there fault SU was stupid and acted like a midmajor. ACC owes SU nothing if ND re-ups with the ACC.

When we were in the BE, we were a midmajor. Needed the cash and exposure.

Agree on the rest.

"I've got something to add about the Meadowlands since we don't have an athletic director right now," Babers said. "I want this to be the last time we ever go to the Meadowlands to play Notre Dame University. The next nine times that we play Notre Dame University, we're playing them in the damn Dome!"

Dino Babers ...2016
  1. We get 9 home games in a row with ND?
  2. Those University of Notre Dame/University of Syracuse games are usually pretty good.

Have always agreed. But some have trouble seeing the big picture on this. It's the reason, for example, that Duke is playing four basketball games in the NY metro area this year -- and Duke is a household name in hoops. But they realize they continue to need to raise their profile in a large media market. I know people who can't even find Syracuse on a map. It's important, now and then, to get out and make a splash on a big stage.

I'm a little disappointed Babers doesn't see this.

Just as I was disappointed he thinks 44 should remain retired.

How does it raise our profile when our fans are outnumbered 3:1 or 4:1 at these "home" games? This was a money grab that made the football program look second rate and made rebuilding the program more difficult. Given our fiscal situation at the time, the deal was understandable.

Most fans don't think playing a neutral site game in the NY metro area is bad. They don't want it replacing and called a home game. It's not like basketball where the downstate alums make these games feel like a home game. It is a neutral site game, at best.

How does it raise our profile when our fans are outnumbered 3:1 or 4:1 at these "home" games? This was a money grab that made the football program look second rate and made rebuilding the program more difficult. Given our fiscal situation at the time, the deal was understandable.

Most fans don't think playing a neutral site game in the NY metro area is bad. They don't want it replacing and called a home game. It's not like basketball where the downstate alums make these games feel like a home game. It is a neutral site game, at best.
Just a piece of advice. Your argument makes too make sense and the response will just frustrate you.

The response will be either 1. SU has moved to the ACC and doesn't have many road games us fans can travel too so they owe us Northeast fans another game to attend or 2. the game helps our brand in NYC.

Trust me I have argued this plenty of times.

The Metlife home games are and will always be Mid-Majorish. The neutral site game against Penn State in 2013 was great.

When I saw the title to the thread...i thought that Cal Davis made a comment about hiring Gross.

when Tommy DeVito is leading the Orange into the F4 his SR year, it will be fun to look back and say...we played 3x during his HS years at Giants Stadium and landed him...and now look where the program is.

don't forget how you got there.

play Giants Stadium, Syracuse, it doesn't always have to be nd.

Last edited:
Was it the neutral site or the results that were mid-majorish?

If Babers can get Notre Dame to come to the "Damn Dome" (kind of catchy, isn't it?) the next 9 times the schools meet, let's just make him the AD right now.

SUFaninNJ said:
If Babers can get Notre Dame to come to the "Damn Dome" (kind of catchy, isn't it?) the next 9 times the schools meet, let's just make him the AD right now.
there's sort of a tempered insanity to Babers that I just love.

Why would the ACC give SU a 3rd home game again when Clemson/Florida State carry the FB banner and would want those home games.

The ACC bailed us out this 12 year cycle. They won't do it again and they shouldn't. As the other ACC teams deserve those extra games it isn't there fault SU was stupid and acted like a midmajor.
ACC owes SU nothing if ND re-ups with the ACC.

ND may want more NY exposure. Many Catholics to draw student population from within the State. That said, ND probably has a little say in who will get the extra games each rotation. I can see BC (largely Catholic region) and Pitt (historical purposes) getting selected a little more often than other schools, if ND has a say in the matter. If not, this exercise is moot.

What's our record so far in this Meadowlands series?

If we actually won any of these games people may be in more favor of them and the increased exposure they bring. We're the equivalent of the Brooklyn Brawler- a jobber that's a safe win for a high profile team. If we're going to get smoked by a blue blood football program I'd rather see it at the Dome than be told our home game is going to be 300 miles away and told to like it.