You can officially scratch Gross for the A.D. list after this comment | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

You can officially scratch Gross for the A.D. list after this comment

You mean the part where we played them in a home game for them at Metlife and then they pulled out of the agreement to play a game at the Dome and another at State College?

Or do you like agreements where we play someone in an away game at Metlife for nothing except a money grab?

For the record, I don't blame Dr Gross for setting up some of the games at MetLife, given where SU was moneywise at the time. I agree with Coach Babers though. Now that we are in the ACC, it should never happen again, under any circumstance.
Are you serious?
Penn state at MetLife was split gate and we didn't lose a home game. You want to criticize them for killing the home/home?
ND treats us like a midmajor no criticism but the Big ten goes to 9 conference games and Penn state has to cancel the home and home and criticize them?
C'mon you are one of the top 5 posters on the board and I can't believe this post.
Penn State didn't screw us at all we played 1 game in MetLife and nobody lost anything more.
ND is the POS program.
Now F Penn state for their cult and that stuff but they did nothin wrong with the MetLife series.
They gave us a home/home in 2008/2009.
ND wouldn't play us home/home. It was 2 for 1.

he has as much as a say as I do.

and all 3 of us agree with his comments in regards to that particular situation.

Syracuse should not move 'home' games out of Syracuse.

but they can schedule and play 1-1-1

and yes, ill certainly be enjoying another game at Giants Stadium this year, 1 in the long standing and ongoing tradition of games of here, for sure...
Dino is in control. We finally have a HC who gets it.
I have been consistent find teams that don't require home games and play them at MetLife or as you have said 1-1-1 are fine as well.
Just no more 0-1-1 series.

Did he ever explain the travesty of the 2012 football season scheduling? That was one of the worst F-ups in scheduling I've seen.

We gifted away a home game with USC and were caught with our pants down by WVU moving to the Big 12 and not having any contingency plan like the other Big East teams were able to.
The 2012 schedule was a and that Mizzou game was awful. Dr. Gross knew he screwed up in 2012 but on the ND deal he defended it because he said the AD needed the revenue.

Once we joined the ACC though the contract should have been voided.

The 2012 schedule was a and that Mizzou game was awful. Dr. Gross knew he screwed up in 2012 but on the ND deal he defended it because he said the AD needed the revenue.

Once we joined the ACC though the contract should have been voided.
How much would that have cost?

When Gross got here, he set up a 4 game series with Notre Dame (2 games at Met Life in 2014 and 2016, 2 games at South Bend in 2015 and 2017). Allegedly ND wouldn't come to Syracuse unless we paid them more $$$ than we could afford. The best Crouthamel was able to do was a 1-2 arrangement (Syracuse in 2003, South Bend in 2005 and 2008).

Years later, SU agreed to join the ACC, and Notre Dame agreed to play 5 games a year against ACC opponents (which would require ND to play actual road games).

Since SU and ND couldn't back out of the contract with MetLife without incurring penalties, it was agreed to keep both MetLife games on the schedule. This was a win for SU (since we needed the guaranteed $$$ at the time), it was a win for ND (they get to play in front of their Subway Alumni), and it was a win for the ACC (NYC exposure). In exchange, the two games in South Bend were rescheduled to 2018 and 2025, and a game was added in Syracuse in 2022 to satisfy ND's ACC requirement.

Wisconsin was part of the Kickoff Classic series (one time neutral site game), and Penn State was a 1-1-1 deal. However, the home/road portion was cancelled, leaving behind just the neutral site game.

You left off two things that weren't wins for SU. It guaranteed ND would have the home crowd advantage at MetLife and it pretty much guaranteed 2 loses. I get the $$$ thing but wins IMO were/are more important for the program. A win in the Dome vs a mid level like an Illinois > a loss to ND at Metlife. I'll always hold that opinion.

You left off two things that weren't wins for SU. It guaranteed ND would have the home crowd advantage at MetLife and it pretty much guaranteed 2 loses. I get the $$$ thing but wins IMO were/are more important for the program. A win in the Dome vs a mid level like an Illinois > a loss to ND at Metlife. I'll always hold that opinion.

Almost every game we played in 2014 was a guaranteed loss. ;)

How much would that have cost?
Nobody knows without seeing the contract but if I had to take an educated guess. I would say Gross didn't want to revoke the contract because he wanted the revenue. We probably got good money for the Metlife games and Gross just wanted that revenue for all the spending he was doing in the AD.

However, this all speculation by me. Gross told me he didn't try to cancel the games because I asked him 5 times before he finally admitted no he didn't try but in the future he said SU wouldn't play ND at Meltife.

orange79 said:
[*]We get 9 home games in a row with ND? [*]Those University of Notre Dame/University of Syracuse games are usually pretty good.

U.S...eh?!

If MetLife is part of SU's future branding plans, perhaps we should consider an arrangement similar to the Red River Shootout and the Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, an annual game against another NE team. Whether it be PSU, Rutgers, UConn or Temple, the key would be to get SU fans to show up and fill half the seats. The problem with this is (1) we are not a large state school like UT/OU/UF/UGA, so we do not have as large of an alumni base or non-alumni state fan support of those schools or (2) the NE just does not care about college football like the South.

A win in the Dome vs a mid level like an Illinois > a loss to ND at Metlife. I'll always hold that opinion.
Did you miss Illinois' last visit to the Dome? ;)

Hopefully, after this year's MetLife Stadium game this issue will finally fade away... oy!