young Mike Tirico | Syracusefan.com

young Mike Tirico

stuckinbig11

All American
I have been watching old SU football games on TW sports out of Rochester. Tonight, they showed a game against Temple with Marvin Graves at QB. I don't know the year, but we won 19-9. They had a short segment from the sideline with a young Mike Tirico reporting. Amazing, he was just a kid.

Did he used to host that show sports nuts? I think it was on Sundays before the 12:30 NFL shows. Was a local trivia type show.

He used to live over in Fairway East in Liverpool off of Soule Rd. Was a very nice and down to earth guy

He has had his issues at ESPN early on (off camera with some serious charges brought against him, read the ESPN book) and I am glad to see him doing well. When Ron Curtis passed away he came back to Syracuse to do a round-table at Ch 5 and I ran into him. He was very nice and I spent 5-10 min speaking to him.

I really like stumbling across these old SU games on TW (Buffalo). It makes for a big-time program feel.

I really like stumbling across these old SU games on TW (Buffalo). It makes for a big-time program feel.

We get them in NYC too. Amazing to see how much the game has changed in 24 years.

Also, Rob Moore and Rob Carpenter were flatout studs. Hope one of the WRs on the current roster can get to that level at some point during their careers.

My wife and I rode in a Sheraton elevator with him prior to an SU homecoming game (the one where Pitt completely throttled SU under Coach P). My wife had a boot on her foot because she had broken a bone a few days prior from falling on the last step down carrying my infant daughter down the stairs. Anyway, he asked about it and seemed genuinely concerned about the well-being of my wife, but especially my daughter, who was fine. It was more than just the typical celebrity small-talk conversation, which leads me to think he is a really nice, grounded guy.

It was more than just the typical celebrity small-talk conversation, which leads me to think he is a really nice, grounded guy.

I got that impression as well with my interaction with him. Seems he has "grown up" over the years. Because after he left Syracuse and went to ESPN he had many issues. Stalking charges, multiple sexual harassment charges, and multiple groping incidents of female co-workers at the work-place. Just some very ugly stuff.

He'll always be the WTVH sports guy to me. To this day I still associate him with the Price is Right, which always led into the noon newscast, both of which my grandparents religiously watched.

I still remember Mike predicting that our 1989 team, with Derrick Coleman, Billy Owens, Sherman Douglas and Stevie Thomspon was going to lose to Colorado State. Wrong. :rolleyes:

He was in a couple of my classes (Constitutional Law - Michael Sawyer) . Always thought it was odd that he wore a suit to class when the rest of us looked like we just rolled out of bed.

Prime Sports channel on Cablevision in Lincoln use to show the SU sports broadcasts on Sunday mornings (along with other eastern football games) 92 season

It was great, saw the West Virginia brawl among others that year. Fun times

He was in a couple of my classes (Constitutional Law - Michael Sawyer) . Always thought it was odd that he wore a suit to class when the rest of us looked like we just rolled out of bed.

I know that he worked at channel 5 while a student - wonder if he was at work just before or had to head to it right after class. I remember this one time poor Mike was covering the State Fair and got sick right on camera. They eventually turned off the video but the audio was loud and clear.

Cheriehoop said:
I know that he worked at channel 5 while a student - wonder if he was at work just before or had to head to it right after class. I remember this one time poor Mike was covering the State Fair and got sick right on camera. They eventually turned off the video but the audio was loud and clear.
One time he got the squirts on The Sports Reporters. Lupica threw up and Albom peed himself

Prime Sports channel on Cablevision in Lincoln use to show the SU sports broadcasts on Sunday mornings (along with other eastern football games) 92 season

It was great, saw the West Virginia brawl among others that year. Fun times
You just had to see the snow for yourself, didn't you?

Freshmen year he had hoops season tix a few rows in front of me...while the rest of us were jumping around like idiots, he was always taking notes...

He used to live over in Fairway East in Liverpool off of Soule Rd. Was a very nice and down to earth guy

He has had his issues at ESPN early on (off camera with some serious charges brought against him, read the ESPN book) and I am glad to see him doing well. When Ron Curtis passed away he came back to Syracuse to do a round-table at Ch 5 and I ran into him. He was very nice and I spent 5-10 min speaking to him.

I started reading the ESPN book and got about halfway through but I know what you are referring to. But about the book, I couldn't finish it. I just hated the way it was written with moving from one person talking for a few paragraphs and then moving to the next person for the whole book.

I have been watching old SU football games on TW sports out of Rochester. Tonight, they showed a game against Temple with Marvin Graves at QB. I don't know the year, but we won 19-9. They had a short segment from the sideline with a young Mike Tirico reporting. Amazing, he was just a kid.

de0068b968ae4643f5af37867fb3aa889d4b9b97.jpg

I like to watch the old games too. Last night, they showed the 1990 game where Syracuse played Michigan State. It was a close, hard fought game that eventually ended in a tie.

One of the star players for that Michigan State team was their middle linebacker, a junior named Chuck Bullough. The same Chuck Bullough that is now the DC for Syracuse.

Game Story

de0068b968ae4643f5af37867fb3aa889d4b9b97.jpg

I like to watch the old games too. Last night, they showed the 1990 game where Syracuse played Michigan State. It was a close, hard fought game that eventually ended in a tie.

One of the star players for that Michigan State team was their middle linebacker, a junior named Chuck Bullough. The same Chuck Bullough that is now the DC for Syracuse.

Game Story
I watched that game also. The spoiler was that I remembered early-on that it would end in a 20-20 tie--but not as disappointing as it was back when it happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom