Zach Allen to TCU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Allen to TCU

Something tells me Shafer knew this was coming. He was pretty vocal at his press conference about taking care of in-house kids first and had a little bitter feel to his follow up "we only want kids who want to be here."

I guess we have to trust Shafer. I really want to wish Zach a great career, but it's tough. You don't just change your spots in 48 hours. That's hard to swallow. He says one thing and does another. That's not cool, no matter the situation. At least be upfront and say you're having second thoughts. Don't tell everyone in the Twitterverse that you're committed, sign your scholarship papers, call all your fellow recruits and pledge loyalty, etc. At some point you har to man up. I hope for him that TCU doesn't get him in trouble.

The ship has obviously sailed on Zach, and that sucks. But as has been mentioned, he was still talking to his fellow commits and trying to reassure them after the Marrone/Hackett stuff.

So what does it say to those other commits when the kid trying to convince them to stay committed flips to TCU literally the day he's supposed to travel to SU to enroll?

The ship has obviously sailed on Zach, and that sucks. But as has been mentioned, he was still talking to his fellow commits and trying to reassure them after the Marrone/Hackett stuff.

So what does it say to those other commits when the kid trying to convince them to stay committed flips to TCU literally the day he's supposed to travel to SU to enroll?
It's pretty clear Post-Marrone that a few assumptions were made.

1. We couldn't drag our feet about naming a head coach.

2. Hackett could be convinced to stay.

3. Keeping Hackett would mean holding the recruits together.

This is a pretty big statement but I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that things haven't gone according to plan so far.

Wayyyyyyy too early to say, but we really need to beat Penn State.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I finally had the strength to go over to the TCU board after being depressed about the news. The funny thing when TCU offered him on the 9th all the TCU fans were saying why are we offering and why should we care if he sticks with SU because he isn't the caliber of recruit we want anyway. Now as of today all the posts are more positive saying he will be a good addition and will give TCU depth.

Zach good luck with a fan base that never wanted you and thinks your a career back-up just sayin :crazy:

Really hope TCU is the opposite of everything he hopes it will be. Off him.

A good kid who wanted to make the Cuse fans happy. Its not Shaf's fault but we really needed to have an OC in place right away, the Hacket poaching was a total F job and Marrone buried us. Worst part is ZA wont be the last to decommit. Need to go hard after Wilson now.

Yup this is it. Things were fine until DM's first picks to be OC in Buffalo didn't want to move there and DM decides to wreck his Alma Mater poaching Hackett.

Allen is gone. If we keep Wilson we can have hope we held onto the better of the two and just get on with it with Loeb next year.

I don't see why Reagan isn't the pick for OC. The other names sound putrid. And he is moving the ball with poor talent. Would be coach in waiting for when/if Shafer gets a better job offer.

Lost in all of this is the fact that Zach lied to Wolfgang. Has anyone stopped to consider that poor kid's feelings?

He must be devastated right now.

Lost in all of this is the fact that Zach lied to Wolfgang. Has anyone stopped to consider that poor kid's feelings?

He must be devastated right now.

Zach lied to a lot of people this week. Including himself. Should not have listened to those snakes at TCU. I think they played on his fear of moving away from home to an unsettled situation. Shafer will get this situation settled down. All he needs is a little time. Zach could have waited. It was his choice to lie about everything and then cop out.

Zach lied to a lot of people this week. Including himself. Should not have listened to those snakes at TCU. I think they played on his fear of moving away from home to an unsettled situation. Shafer will get this situation settled down. All he needs is a little time. Zach could have waited. It was his choice to lie about everything and then cop out.
Actually, he couldn't have waited. Either he changed his mind now, or he'd be locked in once he started class on Monday. He had literally no time left to wait, since he wanted to be enrolled for the spring. Once he started classes, he'd have to sit out a year if he left.

Actually, he couldn't have waited. Either he changed his mind now, or he'd be locked in once he started class on Monday. He had literally no time left to wait, since he wanted to be enrolled for the spring. Once he started classes, he'd have to sit out a year if he left.

He could have trusted Shafer and waited. I know it's easy for me to say, but he could enroll here and tryout for the starting position on what will still be a high powered offense, or he can make a hasty decision he may look back on with regret as he calls plays into guys TCU recruited over him. It was his choice. Hopefully he made a good one, but rash decisions never really turn out well.

Loyal, except when it really matters. I wish him well, but he's a kid who doesn't know s*** about loyalty... Much like Marrone (except for the kid part).

He could have trusted Shafer and waited. I know it's easy for me to say, but he could enroll here and tryout for the starting position on what will still be a high powered offense, or he can make a hasty decision he may look back on with regret as he calls plays into guys TCU recruited over him. It was his choice. Hopefully he made a good one, but rash decisions never really turn out well.
I agree that he may have changed his mind had he gotten to SU and met with whoever we hire as our OC and QB coach. Still, we shouldn't be overly surprised that he was a kid who clearly loved Marrone and Hackett, and not necessarily SU. After all, this is a kid who verbaled after taking a freaking Skype tour of the school, which indicates to me that it was all about the connection to those coaches than any connection to the school itself.

Whole reason he was coming is because he was loyal to the first school that offered him. Can't blame him after the coaches bounced.

One other weird thing...he traded a private school with a questionable big boy conference future for another private school with a questionable big boy conference future.

Fcuk zach.

Enjoy the bluebonnet bowl from the bench. we'll be laughing at you from the Orange.

He's an 18 yr old kid making one of the most importan decisions of his life and career. The coching staff was a primary reason he wanted to go thousands of miles from home to cny to go to college. I'm sure he is very disappointed how things worked out and I'm sure it was a hard decision. Kid was clearly excited to come here. The deal changed. He did wha he felt was best for him. Give the kid a break.

Marrone leaving hurt. Marrone taking Hackett sounded the death knell. In the end, they are all doing what they feel is best for their families and careers. Good luck to all. So much unnecessary bitterness and rancor. Yup, it blows. But nobody did anything wrong here.

A local guy was saying how ridiculous all of this anger is over the coaches leaving like this, telling me that this is just business, & the fanbase has no right to be bitter.

I can't think of many other professions where a job change can cause such an avalanche of destruction, leading to instability & possible economic collapse. In other industries, there are non-compete clauses which restrict the activities & movement of a former employee, but for some reason, it ceases to exist in the sports world.

Doug Marrone has basically caused a serious problem in the Syracuse area with his decision to leave & take some of the staff with him. Like I said, in other industries, you can't do this without punitive civil actions sanctioned against you.

This is something that must be addressed in sports to encourage loyalty & honor in this profession. One way to deal with this, is to require a certain amount in monetary damages if they leave before securing any of the unsigned recruits. The amount should be prohibitive enough to make them think twice before leaving prematurely.

Any other ideas to bring more dedication & honor into the athletic ranks would be welcome.

My question is then does he have to enroll? A sudden change of heart like this should not be taken lightly. In reality this is a huge decision. Could he not enroll at TCU or Cuse on Monday? Sure you miss spring ball but atleast you figure out which school you really want to go to. Now that would be in the kids best interest. Maybe after another 2 weeks of thinking about it he still goes to TCU. Mayhe he comes here. Maybe he goes somewhere entirely different. Just seems odd that someone who seemed so committed would make such a sudden change. I would tell him to take his time. Not F you for not coming to the school I'm a fan of. All of those out there who keep spewing that garbage need to take a long look in the mirror and tell themselves to go get a life.

I finally had the strength to go over to the TCU board after being depressed about the news. The funny thing when TCU offered him on the 9th all the TCU fans were saying why are we offering and why should we care if he sticks with SU because he isn't the caliber of recruit we want anyway. Now as of today all the posts are more positive saying he will be a good addition and will give TCU depth.

Zach good luck with a fan base that never wanted you and thinks your a career back-up just sayin :crazy:
I am a TCUFan and assume you are talking about Killerfrogs (the free site). Just like any free site, it is going to have its share of knuckleheads who are there to give their schtick rather than have intelligent discussions and opinions. You have to go to the paid sites (Rivals, Scout, etc.) if you want to filter that stuff out and find the fans who actually know what they are talking about or you will get a mixed bag. Knowledgeable TCU fans are excited that Allen has chosen TCU. The TCU coaches also certainly want him as they could have offered about 4 other QBs. Frankly, the door only opened for TCU with the coaching changes. Plus, during that time, he was offered by two Big12 programs (none had offered previously I believe) which were close to home. His father played at UT and he grew up watching the Big12. Plus, Temple is only about 2 hours from TCU which makes it easier for family and friends to see his games.

As far as his talent, that is really hard to judge. You really never know for sure how players will develop but TCU does have a pretty good track record at developing QBs and other players for that matter. Allen will certainly have to work to get playing time at TCU but should have a solid supporting cast to play with on offense. Based on his size, he should be redshirting his first year anyway to put on some weight.

We lose ZA and Southerland in the same afternoon. I have no idea how I should feel about SU sports today.

The same way you have felt for the last 35 years (or however old you are). All programs go through this but it seems like the Cuse more than others. This is exactly what Shafer was talking about (and I am going to paraphrase him with some poetic license) We're upstate NY'ers. We get up in the winter. We go out and shovel 3 feet of snow, go work 8 hours in the quarry, shovel another 3 feet when we get home, have a 12 pack of Genny Cream Ale or Utica Club, then get back up again the next morning and shovel another 3 feet of snow. And that's the week before Memorial Day.

But why was he calling recruits to convince them to stick with SU? I could understand if he was laying low, but his actions said otherwise.
I don't understand why he was very public this week either. Just as well.

He will play behind Pachall and Boykin for the remainder of his career. So sad.