Zach Mahoney | Syracusefan.com

Zach Mahoney

money3189

Hall of Fame
Keep seeing his name pop up in the practice notes. We don't know for sure how things are shaping up because we are not at their practices but I think people are under estimating him to be the backup to ED. I keep hearing about his accuracy but people keep forgetting he had to find passing windows against the top defenses in the country LSU, Clem and BC. Is that being considered?

Last edited:
Keep seeing his name pop up in the practice notes. We don't know for sure how things are shaping up because we are not at their practices but I think people are under estimating him to be the backup to ED. I keep hearing about his accuracy but people keep forgetting he had to find passing windows against the top defenses in the county LSU, Clem and BC. Is that being considered?
First I really like what Zach did for us
Now if you look at his stats the concern for accuracy is valid, he was 54-117. That's 46% of his passes being completed.
Hopefully he has improved, but my biggest hope is we wont' have to find out :)

First I really like what Zach did for us
Now if you look at his stats the concern for accuracy is valid, he was 54-117. That's 46% of his passes being completed.
Hopefully he has improved, but my biggest hope is we wont' have to find out :)
Well aware of the percentages. Number are numbers. What I asked was, shouldnt the fact that he started against elite defenses be considered? He was thrown into fire with out a lot of preparation. Didn't have a chance in tune up games. My next question will be, if this staff is better at developing QB's, Dungey and Wilson can improve but Mahoney can't? His ceiling is closed?

Well aware of the percentages. Number are numbers. What I asked was, shouldnt the fact that he started against elite defenses be considered? He was thrown into fire with out a lot of preparation. Didn't have a chance in tune up games. My next question will be, if this staff is better at developing QB's, Dungey and Wilson can improve but Mahoney can't? His ceiling is closed?
Sure you have to take in the fact that he played against the top two teams in the ACC and the #1 defense in the nation.
I think Lewis will be better at developing QBs then what we've seen.
Mahoney ceiling is not closed. He is still "new" to playing at this level.
I hope all our QBs improve to the point where we have a 1 and then 2a with a 2b.

Sure you have to take in the fact that he played against the top two teams in the ACC and the #1 defense in the nation.
I hope all our QBs improve to the point where we have a 1 and then 2a with a 2b.
feel the same way

does it factor in drops? the passes he will be asked to make may be far different too. until we actually see an offense who knows? he was wild but who can remember what throws he was better at . they also made it pretty clear he had changed his throwing motion and fell into old habits at times. another year could change that for the better to.

I've said all along that we shouldn't count-out Zach Mahoney.

Here's the bottom line...the kid is a winner with a great work ethic and a very high FB IQ. He might not be able to run the entire offensive package, but IMO, he wins the back-up role.

My recollection is that he doesn't throw a really catchable ball. Lots of point down passes. Other than that, kid is great, but he is not Dungey.

I think if you haven't learned to pass by the time you get to college you are never going to be a P5 calibre passer. Seems as if that is a big ask to improve that much in one spring and one fall practice. I seem to remember that Lester said he had mechanical issues. Those things tend to resurface under pressure just like changes in a golf swing.

Zach is an option QB and we won't be running that system anymore. Odds are really stacked against him.

there are guys who didnt know how to throw when they got to the pros and figured it out.

If his accuracy issues are mechanical then sure they can be fixed by coaching and hard work on the other hand if his accuracy issues are Lach of ability well then if he is going to contribute it's also up to the coaches to put him in a position to maximize his ability either way he has certain thing you just love like moxy and a toughness and poise. He found ways to make plays against high level defenses.

Having said that I think he will be the third string qb and hopefully he only sees duty in mop up games we have won by the third quarter because 2nd team acc qb Eric Dungey has led us to many victories

He was well below what those Ds gave up on average. Alos three of the games he played at home where one typically plays better.

LSU against P5 on average 54.5% vs Mahoney 42.1%
Clemson in conference 47.3% vs 38.1%
NC State in conference 56.6% vs 47.6%
BC in conference 55.5% vs 44.0%

He was just about 10 points below each team's average.

He was well below what those Ds gave up on average. Alos three of the games he played at home where one typically plays better.

LSU against P5 on average 54.5% vs Mahoney 42.1%
Clemson in conference 47.3% vs 38.1%
NC State in conference 56.6% vs 47.6%
BC in conference 55.5% vs 44.0%

He was just about 10 points below each team's average.
Good way to look at it. Now what other QB's did those teams go against in comparison to Mahoney? How many games and years of experience the other QB's had? QB's like Marquise Williams, Jacoby Brissett, Everett Golson, Brad Kaaya and Justin Thomas.

#2 on the post spring depth chart like I expected.
Imo, says more about the other two than Zack... Cul is a frosh coming off knee surgery, and "Chino" Wilson is what he is...
We don't have nearly the quality of talent at any position that we think we do...

Imo, says more about the other two than Zack... Cul is a frosh coming off knee surgery, and "Chino" Wilson is what he is...
We don't have nearly the quality of talent at any position that we think we do...
I agree. Don't want to make it seem like Im bashing the kid but I was never sold on Austin. Im sure he is a great young man, but he was beat out by freshman AJ long (who is not a P5 QB), and a walk on Juco. Mahoney allows us to redshirt Culpepper , but Culpepper will eventually pass him up.

I'll eat some crow on this. I didn't think he'd be there, or, that this coaching change would be good for him.

Still, personally, think he lacks a couple of key attributes. But, you've got to give it to him, he's getting it done.
Yes, Zach has limitations. No doubt about that. His mental toughness and preparation got him where he's at. Austin has great physical attributes but something in the mental part is missing.

Dude couldnt make a ten yard pass.

Made some big time plays though.

get ready for a Roger Staubach/Craig Morton platoon this year.

I'll eat some crow on this. I didn't think he'd be there, or, that this coaching change would be good for him.

Still, personally, think he lacks a couple of key attributes. But, you've got to give it to him, he's getting it done.
Same here. I'm more than happy to see him play into a role and earn his keep.

I didn't want him to get a scholarship for the sole reason he didn't suck in games we didn't win last year.

I think Zach's accuracy isn't as bad as people think. A number of his throws weren't even close. To me, this wasn't a matter of being inaccurate, it was just something mechanical that failed.

It seems when he has time to get set up and has his fingers on the laces he throws a good ball. But if he's rushed and things aren't in place then the ball comes out erratically.

Good QB's are good at throwing the ball no matter where it is in their hands. Some just need practice at throwing "knuckleballs".

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom