‘Ryan, I’m changing everything,’” Hackett recalled recently. | Syracusefan.com

‘Ryan, I’m changing everything,’” Hackett recalled recently.

That is a super article...

That article makes me think that ZA has more of a chance to start next year. He's been hand-picked by Hack for this offense.

That article makes me think that ZA has more of a chance to start next year. He's been hand-picked by Hack for this offense.
agree with this completely...gret article and ZA has a great shot next year, Kinder not out of the question with his athleticism

Great article. Eye-opening that Hackett and Marrone would make such a radical system change on a dime like that. Very encouraging, and yet another reminder that everyone on this board is full if it. :)

It sounds like they did this because of how comfortable they are with Nassib. Wondering what that means for next year?

The article confirms a couple of things, one not so good, the other very good.

The pro-style NO Saints offense we were running just did not fit the team. For whatever the reasons, it seems clear that we not getting any results and those critical of it were correct.

However, the fact that Hackett (and Marrone) junked it just two weeks before the season, much less at all, speaks very well for their intelligence and guts. They did not dogmatically stick with a system they knew and hoped for the best - they took a chance and changed it. This is very impressive.

It also seems obvious that those that defended the talent and blamed the system (coaches) were correct. It was not a question of not having skill players or less quality than others - it was the system simply did not work.

It also seems clear that Hackett and Marrone have grown in the job and, painful as the process was, the result has been worth it.

Our future looks more promising than at any other time in the past 10 years. Is there anyone on the planet that can honestly this?

We will miss Nassib (whose stock will rise further with this article) but the candidates for the job next year are all more mobile than he is and should fit the new system just fine. Over time as they develop it will be be fun to watch.

Job very well done.

Not a slam dunk for Zach next year. You have to consider everything a coach says. It was only a week ago that he fave praise to Nassib and the way the offense ran because of how well he knew the offense to the point of getting the right play called if Hackett didn't.

Zach might be the right athlete for the offense but he will have a long long ways to go to reach the mental part.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

And that fact that in 2 weeks... they junked the old system and implemented a whole new system that hasn't just been a band-aid.

Not a slam dunk for Zach next year. You have to consider everything a coach says. It was only a week ago that he fave praise to Nassib and the way the offense ran because of how well he knew the offense to the point of getting the right play called if Hackett didn't.

Zach might be the right athlete for the offense but he will have a long long ways to go to reach the mental part.

Not saying he is a shoe-in, but he has a legit chance.

I'd be more inclined to believe Marrone. It takes NFL teams weeks to install plays and schemes during training camp, and those are pros spending their entire day on it.

SU probably just changed the tempo, some of the communication and gave Nassib more power to change things on the fly. Maybe they changed the types of plays they were calling, or added a few, but it's next to impossible to think that the entire offense learned an entirely new playbook in two weeks.

Got to think about what changed -- going to almost all shotgun, quicker tempo, ways the plays are called in a no-huddle. Some of the shotgun was in the playbook; the blocking schemes, the WR routes.

As to whether we could have done this in 2011 and whether it is schemes/coaches versus talent -- we didn't have Sales, Gulley, Hickey. Without spare parts and the ability to rotate in key spots, you can't play up-tempo as your base offense.

ZA has a legitimate chance. His HS team runs a similar spread style offense.

Very, very impressed with Ryan...not bad for a QB outside the top 50.

Got to think about what changed -- going to almost all shotgun, quicker tempo, ways the plays are called in a no-huddle. Some of the shotgun was in the playbook; the blocking schemes, the WR routes.
Personnel changes. Last season our base offensive set was two TE. We saw little of that this season. We also had our fullbacks on the field a lot last season.

Personnel changes. Last season our base offensive set was two TE. We saw little of that this season. We also had our fullbacks on the field a lot last season.
True. When you go to shotgun, you typically have only one RB with the QB.

The change made sense for several reasons. We had a 5th year QB in his third year as a starter, no quality FB, and good numbers at WR and RB. Up tempo shotgun fit our personnel.

True. When you go to shotgun, you typically have only one RB with the QB.

The change made sense for several reasons. We had a 5th year QB in his third year as a starter, no quality FB, and good numbers at WR and RB. Up tempo shotgun fit our personnel.
Well, lets hope our personnel continues to fit being an up tempo outfit.