“Calipari may have maxed out at Kentucky” | Syracusefan.com

“Calipari may have maxed out at Kentucky”

Question is - has it been long enough for the title to stick or does that get wiped out...

Be interesting to see how he would fit in today's NBA. The coaching style that guys his age patented doesn't seem to play well with the current player.

Smart on his part.

The playing field is going to be much more level after NLI, taking away his mechanisms to cheat indiscriminately.

I don't know if that's really true. It just makes the things he currently does legal. I think he will still have more $$ to throw around than 99% of other programs. It will just be legal now.

Smart on his part.

The playing field is going to be much more level after NLI, taking away his mechanisms to cheat indiscriminately.
I don't think this is going to be the case. I think if anything it is going to go the opposite direction where the bluebloods offer MORE exposure yielding more ROI on NLI than less known schools.

I don't think this is going to be the case. I think if anything it is going to go the opposite direction where the bluebloods offer MORE exposure yielding more ROI on NLI than less known schools.

Or they might have more incentive to stay "local," to capitalize on their brand short-term, in order to cash in.

Ultimately, all schools will soon be developing marketing plans and outlining their strategies for how the players can best tap into NLI as part of the recruiting process. As on many topics, Calipari was very forward thinking about this, and used it as a competitive advantage differentiator on the recruiting trail. So while you might be right about the blue blood cache, I'm just pointing out that everyone will be doing it soon.

Maybe but that depends on the NCAA vs the state legislatures.

Whether or not the interest from NBA teams is mutual is also an important factor here. I would love lots of jobs that I can’t get.

Yeah. Plus Calipari has proven he can recruit. Not so sure he has shown to ever be even close to as good a coach as he is a recruiter. NBA doesn't care about how good coaches are at recruiting.

Yeah. Plus Calipari has proven he can recruit. Not so sure he has shown to ever be even close to as good a coach as he is a recruiter. NBA doesn't care about how good coaches are at recruiting.
Well, he can certainly manipulate within (and outside) the system to get the players he wants. The guy can coach, you don't get to where he is by just being a bag man, but yeah - a lot of his success is due to having great players. Maybe he'd be better as a GM.

Well, he can certainly manipulate within (and outside) the system to get the players he wants. The guy can coach, you don't get to where he is by just being a bag man, but yeah - a lot of his success is due to having great players. Maybe he'd be better as a GM.

GM would be his sweet spot in my opinion. And yeah i mean you don't get the jobs he has if you can't coach at all. That said he isn't the type of coach I can see NBA teams jumping all over themselves for. He is a decent coach nothing special. Stevens for instance elevated a program full of 3 star guys developing them and twice almost winning a title.

I think he may be looking a Quin Snyder and envying that kind of spotlight.

He’s players coach. I could definitely see him getting looks from NBA teams and for some reason I can convince myself he’d be more successful this time around.

Or they might have more incentive to stay "local," to capitalize on their brand short-term, in order to cash in.

Ultimately, all schools will soon be developing marketing plans and outlining their strategies for how the players can best tap into NLI as part of the recruiting process. As on many topics, Calipari was very forward thinking about this, and used it as a competitive advantage differentiator on the recruiting trail. So while you might be right about the blue blood cache, I'm just pointing out that everyone will be doing it soon.

I also don't think it will curb boosters and schools from continuing to work outside the rules one bit. I think the schools that do it (i.e. cheat) well will be able to use the NLI as cover, sort of like Mark McGuire leaving his "technically this isn't illegal" andro out in the open as a plausible reason for how he got so huge when everyone knew he was doing other stuff as well.

"Hey, all these kids driving $100k cars are paying for them with their own money from NLI profits!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom