“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone” | Syracusefan.com

“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone”

djcon57

Living Legend
This was said by JB.

So the obvious question...and granted we know the answer...

why would you play a zone against them?

did nc state play us today and say “hey I know Tucker is real good and their qb can’t pass...but lets just play a passive nickel and see what happens. I’m sure they won’t run”

They are a very solid shooting team, so I agree that part of the matchup isn’t ideal.

But again, to your point, what was the goal? Just hope we make more shots than them? I mean sure… expect that a fair amount this year. But still.

This was said by JB.

did nc state play us today and say “hey I know Tucker is real good and their qb can’t pass...but lets just play a passive nickel and see what happens. I’m sure they won’t run”

I hope no one around 5’2” challenges him on this stuff or else they’re going to be in trouble.

They are a very solid shooting team, so I agree that part of the matchup isn’t ideal.

But again, to your point, what was the goal? Just hope we make more shots than them? I mean sure… expect that a fair amount this year. But still.
And they only shot 40%, which is good, but honestly with the WIDE open looks it’s really not that great.

Colgate did great and credit to them, but we made this game incredibly easy for them to win.

This was said by JB.

did nc state play us today and say “hey I know Tucker is real good and their qb can’t pass...but lets just play a passive nickel and see what happens. I’m sure they won’t run"

To be fair, NC State might have won bigger if they did. Think about it, if they only practiced a nickel their nickel would be even better.

I’m serious I’ve never seen some of that defensive alignment ever in my time watching basketball. It simultaneously looked like colgate had 6 players, but also seemed like half the players were not on the court with how much court was visible, usually around the foul line where a guy was just routinely pivoting with the ball.

Fwiw, I’m not debating that Colgate is the best team we will see this year vs a zone, they might be?

This was said by JB.

Colgate is the premier zone busting school in the nation.
Syracuse is the greatest zone school in the nation.

The two best went head to head.

A true clash of the titans! We shall tell our children of this day. Men greater than us shall write poems, epic tales of the Boeheims, Swider, and Girard fighting valiantly against the...whomever the heck plays for Colgate. :)

Just kidding. They did seem really good against the zone. JB is likely quite right.

his main beef was Jesse did a poor job...he wasn’t exactly wrong there,
Jessie got zero help from Swider and Jimmy. Jimmy played the worse defense I’ve ever seen from a forward at SU. He was late and clueless most of the night. He also knocked two rebounds away from Jessie causing us to lose the ball both times. He also got blocked four times inside. This isn’t against ACC players but Colgate. They outscored us 98-68 after the 17-2 lead to start the game.

JB plays zone exclusively for a few reasons:

1. More practice time can be devoted to his voluminous offensive playbook
2. Players have more time to beast in the weight room
3. It’s hard to get excited with Xs and Os at the old chalkboard when you’ve been coaching for 50 years and there’s a golf simulator at home calling your name

his main beef was Jesse did a poor job...he wasn’t exactly wrong there,
It’s not Jesse .. it’s the system that the coach employs that results in the center having to play two players at once …

Jimmy was horrific in the zone today but we won’t hear about that

It’s not Jesse .. it’s the system that the coach employs that results in the center having to play two players at once …

A center really isn’t a position where he should have to go from under the basket to guard a guy on the other side of the court. It is nonsensical.

I'll start by saying that I think Jimmy's been outstanding in the zone all season.

However, it seemed like most of the time tonight he was guarding nobody. Allowing the entry pass, but allowing the corner three, not really stopping the wings or shutting off passing lanes...also, when he went to trap a couple times he seemed to be trying to allow the player enough room to dribble out of it.

That's just a very odd strategy for a trap.

I guess at some point I'd rather he aggressively make mistakes than give up everything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom