“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone” | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

“Colgate is a better team than about anyone we will play against a zone”

Needed to sag off totally, take away the baseline
im sure then clogate would put someone there who can make wide open 8 footers. overall it was shocking how wide open they were all game.

Colgate is a well-coached patient team.
They didn’t make mistakes.
They Took care of and Moved The ball and that moved the zone (or at least as much as SU players bothered to move).

The sad thing is that all the Orange could do to try to stop them was use a press that was about as ineffective as its zone. Changing defense is not an option.

One thing a man defense might have done was keep shots from being as wide open as they were.

Notwithstanding all the zone successes it is bizarre to think that a major college team will not (cannot?) play man to man…apparently under any circumstances.

Sorry I didn’t have a chance to watch the game. Did we ever try to press? I know our team is not very athletic but it should still be more athletic than Colgate. Sure the press yields open shots but it also changes the tone of the game.

The 2003 team bailed itself out several tomes with the press and they were not the best zone team here by a long shot.

If I remember correctly, we fouled them twice on the first possession they had where we went press.

Also, the ball handlers were able to break it a few times on their own and for other times they were able to pass around it.

Hopefully it gets better, but right now it doesn’t seem like a valuable tool just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom