#1 Seed Still In Play? | Syracusefan.com

#1 Seed Still In Play?

HakAttack

Shirt World Hater, Script Jersey Lover.
Give me your scenarios where we get a #1 seed. IMO, we would steal the last one if we win the ACC tournament. That would make us 30-4. Has a team with 30 or more wins from any of the six power conferences ever entered the NCAA tournament NOT seeded #1?

Last edited:
We win the ACCT beating both Duke and UVA.
Villanova losing in the BET quarterfinals or semifinals and preferably to St. John's for our resume wins over both.
Wisconsin loses in the B1G tournament to anybody not Michigan.
Michigan loses in the B1G tournament to anybody not Wisconsin.
Kansas loses in the Big XII tournament.
Then maybe we are the 4th 1 seed.

Win ACC tournament by beating NC State Friday, Duke Saturday, and UNC Sunday. Villanova and Wisconsin don't win their conference tournaments.

I really don't think it matters what other teams do. If we win the ACCT, that would put us at 30-4 along with wins against Duke and Virginia/UNC in the tourney. We beat Villanova earlier (badly) and Wisconsin's loss last night didn't help their cause. I just don't see how we could be denied if we win our tourney because of the teams we would have to beat and what our resume would look like.

That being said, I'm just excited about our prospects moving forward provided that Grant remains healthy. That was fun yesterday. As long as we're in the East, we should be just fine.

I really don't think it matters what other teams do. If we win the ACCT, that would put us at 30-4 along with wins against Duke and Virginia/UNC in the tourney. We beat Villanova earlier (badly) and Wisconsin's loss last night didn't help their cause. I just don't see how we could be denied if we win our tourney because of the teams we would have to beat and what our resume would look like.

That being said, I'm just excited about our prospects moving forward provided that Grant remains healthy. That was fun yesterday. As long as we're in the East, we should be just fine.
Agree, if Syracuse wins the ACC, it definitely gets a 1 seed. Its resume is too good, especially when the committee takes the injuries into account.

Just win the ACCT and we get a one. Doesn't matter what anyone else does. We will beat Duke and most likely UNC/Virginia. 2 of our losses will be without Grant so I would think the Committee would take that into account.

Just win the ACCT and we get a one. Doesn't matter what anyone else does. We will beat Duke and most likely UNC/Virginia. 2 of our losses will be without Grant so I would think the Committee would take that into account.

This This This.

If we win the ACCT, regardless of what other teams do, nobody really has an argument against us being a #1 seed.

If we can't win the ACCT we probably should not think we are going to win a NC. This team has to peak right now.

If we can't win the ACCT we probably should not think we are going to win a NC. This team has to peak right now.

Why not? Has no bearing on the NCAA's. We got smoked in 2003 and that worked out ok.

Why not? Has no bearing on the NCAA's. We got smoked in 2003 and that worked out ok.

Only because people are looking for yesterday to be the sign of a turn around in our fortunes. We don't have to win the ACCT for that to be the case, but we certainly have to win the 1st round, probably second round and play well in the championship. If we don't do that we probably are still facing many of the problems that were so obvious over the last 5 games prior to yesterday.

We win the ACCT beating both Duke and UVA.
Villanova losing in the BET quarterfinals or semifinals and preferably to St. John's for our resume wins over both.
Wisconsin loses in the B1G tournament to anybody not Michigan.
Michigan loses in the B1G tournament to anybody not Wisconsin.
Kansas loses in the Big XII tournament.
Then maybe we are the 4th 1 seed.

lol

Even if SU wins the ACCT, I doubt they get the #1 seed, if 'Nova wins the BET. Two bad losses + one more loss puts SU below 'Nova. I think it is a toss up, if 'Nova loses in the finals to Creighton. If they lose in the quarters, then SU definitely has it.

I don't see SU's schedule being so much better than 'Nova's that you can overlook the bad losses. 'Nova has zero bad losses.

Even if SU wins the ACCT, I doubt they get the #1 seed, if 'Nova wins the BET. Two bad losses + one more loss puts SU below 'Nova. I think it is a toss up, if 'Nova loses in the finals to Creighton. If they lose in the quarters, then SU definitely has it.

I don't see SU's schedule being so much better than 'Nova's that you can overlook the bad losses. 'Nova has zero bad losses.

One thing you didn't factor into that analysis is that we beat 'Nova head-to-head. Would make that choice interesting if your scenario played out.

If we both make [or win] the finals, then I'd say that on paper SU would have the opportunity to score more impressive wins this week than Villanova would, as well, as a function of our respective conferences.

Not on paper. I am more concerned with how well the team is playing.

One thing you didn't factor into that analysis is that we beat 'Nova head-to-head. Would make that choice interesting if your scenario played out.

If we both make [or win] the finals, then I'd say that on paper SU would have the opportunity to score more impressive wins this week than Villanova would, as well, as a function of our respective conferences.

You are absolutely correct. I would love to see what the committee would do in the scenario that SU & 'Nova would win out!

Antiprodigy said:
Even if SU wins the ACCT, I doubt they get the #1 seed, if 'Nova wins the BET. Two bad losses + one more loss puts SU below 'Nova. I think it is a toss up, if 'Nova loses in the finals to Creighton. If they lose in the quarters, then SU definitely has it. I don't see SU's schedule being so much better than 'Nova's that you can overlook the bad losses. 'Nova has zero bad losses.

What good wins does nova have? Kansas and Iowa?

yea but cuse has the head to head...

We beat NOVA, i would have to think the Committee takes that into account. We also did not have Grant vs GT.

We beat NOVA, i would have to think the Committee takes that into account. We also did not have Grant vs GT.

The committee can't ignore Grant. He was terrific against Florida State.

If Cuse wins the ACC tourny, and beats Duke 'n UVa/UNC... absolute lock for a #1 seed... Nova has 2 good wins all year. 1-3 v. RPI Top 25. They've played a mickey mouse schedule IMO (which is somehow rated tougher than Cuse's in the RPI)... They avoided having to play Uconn, L'ville, and Pitt this year w/ conference re-alignments. Got tattoo'd by the Cuse, and BlueJays (2x) by an avg of 20+ per loss. They don't impress me one bit. And I think they caught Kansas early in the season when teams were still finding themselves.

-Kansas is out for a #1 w/ now 8 losses.
-Wisky's loss last night probably killed their shot at a #1, but I think if they win the B1G Tourny would give us a run for a #1, given the impressive list of their quality wins, and currently 5-1 v. the RPI Top 25... as our/their bad losses are almost similar.

Agree with this completely. I can't imagine a scenario in which we win the ACCT and don't get a 1-seed.

And I totally just typed "BET" there at first because apparently I'm still getting used to this situation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom