10 games left in the regular season | Syracusefan.com

10 games left in the regular season

RF2044

Living Legend
Now that January is just about in the rear view mirror, we're just shy of halfway through the ACC conference schedule -- 15-6 overall, 6-2 in conference, with 10 games remaining in the regular season [hard to believe]. Here they are:
  1. 2/2 @Pitt
  2. 2/5 FSU
  3. 2/9 BC
  4. 2/13 @NIT State
  5. 2/20 #15 Louisville
  6. 2/23 #2 Duke
  7. 2/26 @#9 UNC
  8. 3/2 @Wake
  9. 3/4 #3 Virginia
  10. 3/9 Clemson
A couple of quick observations:
  • That stretch from 2/13 - 3/4 is a murderer's row
  • We'll be facing 4 teams ranked #15 or higher in the last 6 games
  • 5 home / 5 away games
  • Next three games are critical to sustaining momentum -- can't afford to stub our toe, with a tougher stretch looming beyond that
  • Need to split remaining games to attain 11-7 conference record
  • If we do that and knock off one of the ranked teams, I think we're safely in

Going to be a tough road -- hope we're able to avoid the February swoon, and finish relatively strong. We've gotten off to the start we need in conference, just need to find a way to claw out 5-5 or 6-4 record, and we're sitting pretty.

We shouldn't have a problem getting 5 wins from the remaining games regardless.

6 will get us a pretty solid seed.

We cannot slip up saturday. I expect a large home crowd on tuesday to assist a ranked SU’s effort

I say this every week, but it is infuriating that we lost to 3 BAD teams. Beat UConn, beat ODU, beat GTech, and we're sitting at 18-3, 7-1 in ACC, and probably ranked #10 in the country.

I say this every week, but it is infuriating that we lost to 3 BAD teams. Beat UConn, beat ODU, beat GTech, and we're sitting at 18-3, 7-1 in ACC, and probably ranked #10 in the country.

Huge missed opportunities -- no doubt.

Luckily, we can overcome that bad start, but we need to avoid the dreaded February slump in the worst way. I'll be sweating bullets if we're .500 in the conference heading into the ACC tournament.

The GA Tech loss I can live with but the UCONN/ODU losses were brutal. The Duke road win cancels those bad losses out for me though. I thought we would do better with the OOC schedule this year but we are right about where I thought we would be in the ACC portion to this point. So many potential big wins left on the board. Just win baby!

Indeed. Or, you can it look at it this way. It will motivate the guys within to take nothing for granted in our remaining games, forcing them to perform at their highest level and finish exceptionally strong, and avoiding any February type swoon as RF mentioned.

The Due Factor has to be in play against UNC right? 0-7 is the current streak. Tough to beat a team 8 times in a row right? Is that a saying?

It's going to be leading up to that game. :)

You could pretty easily stomach any one of those losses, but losing 3 is pretty bad. The GaTech loss is palatable I guess because most everyone has a slip-up or two in-conference, but losing to UConn and ODU hurts. Although we didn't have Howard so that UConn loss doesn't count at all. Nope. Definitely won't count for evaluating us. Right? :)

I guess the nice thing is we more or less remain in control over whether or not we make it. We're not positioned all that poorly with a 6-2 start...we just have to win some games down the stretch.

I guess the nice thing is we more or less remain in control over whether or not we make it. We're not positioned all that poorly with a 6-2 start...we just have to win some games down the stretch.

...which is difficult given the remaining schedule, but achievable.

Although the results ain't always pretty, this team actually seems to have upside / room to improve. I could see us losing in the first round, or catching fire at the right time and making a final four run. Need to actualize that potential.

Agree mostly although i feel ga tech deserved it. Uconn and odu, got lucky.

Now that January is just about in the rear view mirror, we're just shy of halfway through the ACC conference schedule -- 15-6 overall, 6-2 in conference, with 10 games remaining in the regular season [hard to believe]. Here they are:
  1. 2/2 @Pitt
  2. 2/5 FSU
  3. 2/9 BC
  4. 2/13 @NIT State
  5. 2/20 #15 Louisville
  6. 2/23 #2 Duke
  7. 2/26 @#9 UNC
  8. 3/2 @Wake
  9. 3/4 #3 Virginia
  10. 3/9 Clemson
A couple of quick observations:
  • That stretch from 2/13 - 3/4 is a murderer's row
  • We'll be facing 4 teams ranked #15 or higher in the last 6 games
  • 5 home / 5 away games
  • Next three games are critical to sustaining momentum -- can't afford to stub our toe, with a tougher stretch looming beyond that
  • Need to split remaining games to attain 11-7 conference record
  • If we do that and knock off one of the ranked teams, I think we're safely in

Going to be a tough road -- hope we're able to avoid the February swoon, and finish relatively strong. We've gotten off to the start we need in conference, just need to find a way to claw out 5-5 or 6-4 record, and we're sitting pretty.
We are actually in better shape than I could have hoped for. If we just beat Clemson and BC at home and win at wake that leaves 7 games and we already have 9 wins at that point. That doesn't include at Pitt or FSU at home. Even if we lost to Duke and UVA at home and lost to NC State at their place we are looking good in conference.

I've never said this and hope to never say it again, but lose to Georgetown, lose to Duke, and a loss last night to BC and this would be a 12-9 squad with a very long "I'm sorry but it's time" thread.

The Due Factor has to be in play against UNC right? 0-7 is the current streak. Tough to beat a team 8 times in a row right? Is that a saying?
Were due a win because NC doesn't have the same type of team they've had the past 4 years against us. Not as many skilled big men down low to dominate us.

This ACC conference season is starting to remind me a lot of the 2008-09 Big East. By the end of January we had 9 games to go, we were only 5-4 in conference, and we still had to face Nova (a FF team that year) twice, UConn (another FF team that year), a Top 20 Marquette team, and WVU (who was the 7th BE team to make the tourney that year and finished 10-8 in conference and beat #2 Pitt in the BE tourney). Of those 5 key match-ups we won two - granted the weakest two, WVU and Marquette. This year I think if we win at least two of the next three games we will beat two of the six ranked teams we still have to play. Those total four wins plus Wake and Clemson will be enough to get us safely in the tournament despite having such a putrid OOC record.

Cheers,
Neil

Keep Buddy in the rotation and run the table.

the duke win cancels out the ga tech loss, and we're much better off it worked out that way than vice versa. if we're on the bubble the duke win will probably get us in.

no frank in the uconn loss, no way we lose that game now. the odu loss theres no excuse, plus we were up 10 at halftime.

need to at least win 2 of the next 3

This ACC conference season is starting to remind me a lot of the 2008-09 Big East. By the end of January we had 9 games to go, we were only 5-4 in conference, and we still had to face Nova (a FF team that year) twice, UConn (another FF team that year), a Top 20 Marquette team, and WVU (who was the 7th BE team to make the tourney that year and finished 10-8 in conference and beat #2 Pitt in the BE tourney). Of those 5 key match-ups we won two - granted the weakest two, WVU and Marquette. This year I think if we win at least two of the next three games we will beat two of the six ranked teams we still have to play. Those total four wins plus Wake and Clemson will be enough to get us safely in the tournament despite having such a putrid OOC record.

Cheers,
Neil

We finished 11-7 which was good for 6th and won 7 games in a row from the last 4 games in the regular season until the Big East final.

That's because we're not the # 10 team in the country.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom