10 years since we were in the Bottom 10 | Syracusefan.com

10 years since we were in the Bottom 10

Rocco

Watching you.
A few things to cheer everyone up on the heels of back-to-back close road losses:

1.) We should be 6-0. We had victory in our hands both games, but lost at the bitter end. When was the last time we were this competitive in every game? Oh yeah, those combined losses in ACC road battles were by only 11 points. 11.

2.) Our younger talent is beginning to stockpile a bit. Recruiting is clearly on the up and up since 2015 and will continue to find its stride as younger talent gets better looks at our program. Talk to anyone close to the program and they'll tell you first hand how much better the entire team is. Across the board improvements in depth and talent.

3.) We have a much needed bye week. This goes for both the players/coaches AND the fans. Everyone is hot after those close losses, but remember, cooler heads make more sound decisions and have better reactions. Take a breather.

4.) Our offense is not perfect, but we're averaging over 43 points per game. That is absurdly better than anything we've done in the last 15 years. People wanted to see a run and gun exciting offense, well we got it.

5.) Many on here think we lose out, but remember, there is STILL a possibility, albeit a small one, that we win out and finish the season 10-2. The biggest thing is at least getting to a bowl game, which I think is base case. The 15 extra practices and the small amount of additional exposure it gives our program are worth its weight in gold.

6.) The momentum is currently against us, but people we're really starting to take note of Syracuse Football. The biggest takeaway here is that not all hope is lost for the "casual" fan in the future. If we were 6-0, the Dome would've been frigging rocking. That is still alive in the future just when everyone thought the football fan was lost forever.

7.) Dome renovations will make the in-game experience better for the fan. Although I'm not a fan of the tailgating environment, once you're in the Dome, it will only get better over the next few years.

8.) We have Devito, a stable of young RBs and WRs and a loaded secondary that will be around for 3+ more years. Staff is well aware of the glaring future weaknesses on this team and are extremely busy behind the scenes making moves. I suppose this is where some blind faith needs to be had.

9.) It's been 10 years since we appeared on ESPN's Bottom 10 list. Those days were humiliating. Gameday did a segment about how far our program had fallen. We are so amazingly far removed from that list, we're still getting votes in the Coaches' poll this week while we're 4-2!

10.) Babers has these guys bought in. The energy is there. The practices are animated and lively. They know the potential and believe it.

11.) We have Babers. Let's enjoy him while we got him because if heaven-forbid he ever left, we would instantly miss him. He is the best option for Syracuse right now and has been able to turn around a program that primarily had D2 talent when he took it over. Sure, there were several talented players, but the majority were not capable of playing at this level. Building out depth in a competitive college football conference is so much more challenging than anyone would believe. He's done an admirable job, even though we're all getting greedy thinking we should be playing in the CFP. For bang for the buck, he's the best Syracuse will ever do. Supporting him and the program is gigantic.

Now go smile, we're not 2-4 or in the Bottom 10 anymore.

The only nitpick I have is that we could be 6-0 instead of should be. We played well enough to win both of those games, but we didn't make the plays we needed. There wasn't anything fluky about either loss, like a kicker missing 3 kicks, or a weird play. We were physically beaten at the end of both games, although if we didn't play so poorly over a 20 minute stretch in the Pitt game after we went up 14-0, I think we win that one by a couple of TDs.

A few things to cheer everyone up on the heels of back-to-back close road losses:

1.) We should be 6-0. We had victory in our hands both games, but lost at the bitter end. When was the last time we were this competitive in every game? Oh yeah, those combined losses in ACC road battles were by only 11 points. 11.

2.) Our younger talent is beginning to stockpile a bit. Recruiting is clearly on the up and up since 2015 and will continue to find its stride as younger talent gets better looks at our program. Talk to anyone close to the program and they'll tell you first hand how much better the entire team is. Across the board improvements in depth and talent.

3.) We have a much needed bye week. This goes for both the players/coaches AND the fans. Everyone is hot after those close losses, but remember, cooler heads make more sound decisions and have better reactions. Take a breather.

4.) Our offense is not perfect, but we're averaging over 43 points per game. That is absurdly better than anything we've done in the last 15 years. People wanted to see a run and gun exciting offense, well we got it.

5.) Many on here think we lose out, but remember, there is STILL a possibility, albeit a small one, that we win out and finish the season 10-2. The biggest thing is at least getting to a bowl game, which I think is base case. The 15 extra practices and the small amount of additional exposure it gives our program are worth its weight in gold.

6.) The momentum is currently against us, but people we're really starting to take note of Syracuse Football. The biggest takeaway here is that not all hope is lost for the "casual" fan in the future. If we were 6-0, the Dome would've been frigging rocking. That is still alive in the future just when everyone thought the football fan was lost forever.

7.) Dome renovations will make the in-game experience better for the fan. Although I'm not a fan of the tailgating environment, once you're in the Dome, it will only get better over the next few years.

8.) We have Devito, a stable of young RBs and WRs and a loaded secondary that will be around for 3+ more years. Staff is well aware of the glaring future weaknesses on this team and are extremely busy behind the scenes making moves. I suppose this is where some blind faith needs to be had.

9.) It's been 10 years since we appeared on ESPN's Bottom 10 list. Those days were humiliating. Gameday did a segment about how far our program had fallen. We are so amazingly far removed from that list, we're still getting votes in the Coaches' poll this week while we're 4-2!

10.) Babers has these guys bought in. The energy is there. The practices are animated and lively. They know the potential and believe it.

11.) We have Babers. Let's enjoy him while we got him because if heaven-forbid he ever left, we would instantly miss him. He is the best option for Syracuse right now and has been able to turn around a program that primarily had D2 talent when he took it over. Sure, there were several talented players, but the majority were not capable of playing at this level. Building out depth in a competitive college football conference is so much more challenging than anyone would believe. He's done an admirable job, even though we're all getting greedy thinking we should be playing in the CFP. For bang for the buck, he's the best Syracuse will ever do. Supporting him and the program is gigantic.

Now go smile, we're not 2-4 or in the Bottom 10 anymore.

Anyone that thinks this team is going to lose out is an idiot.

Anyone that thinks this team is going to lose out is an idiot.

I don’t think we will lose out, but we’ve already played our 3 easiest games.

We’re 3-0 in the “gimmies” and 1-2 in the “non-gimmies”. We’ve got 6 more, none as good as Clemson but all at least relatively on par with FSU and Pitt. There’s not one “easy” game left where we are clearly more talented the way we were in 3 of our first 4 wins.

We need more great efforts like we got against FSU.

Much needed perspective. Thank you.

To take it a step further, the two plays that kept us from 6 - 0 were an almost Tyree-esque catch on a poorly thrown fourth down pass and a first down by inches aided by a very generous spot. Granted we don't LOOK like a 6 - 0, Top 10 team, particularly in the last 5 quarters of football but that's how close we are to being one.

Last edited:
My only concern, with all the positives you listed we still don’t know whether we see the team that played Pitt for the rest of the season or not. Last year during our slide there was so much that went wrong but it was every game. So we do we look like that again most for most of our remaining games or not. That’s the question that’s unanswered until we finish the season.

My only concern, with all the positives you listed we still don’t know whether we see the team that played Pitt for the rest of the season or not. Last year during our slide there was so much that went wrong but it was every game. So we do we look like that again most for most of our remaining games or not. That’s the question that’s unanswered until we finish the season.

This is where coaching comes into play, along with seniors leading the locker room. Dino and his staff need to keep their guys focused on getting better and not losing vision, but can only do so if veterans like Dungey and Slayton keep their fellow teammates engaged.

Cooler heads will lead to better results. The timing of the bye week is a massive blessing.

I hope in the bye week we really work on tackling. This can be such an easy fix if handled the right way, and could make a huge difference down the stretch. So many plays our guys are wrapping there arms just fine but both of their legs are on the ground and the back is getting serious extra yardage. LEG DRIVE!

Wake Forest just lost 63 - 3. At home. Think about that for a second.

We aren't losing out.

This team losing out would be a worse meltdown then the last two years combined, I can't even fathom that happening, this team despite its flaws has shown its much better then those two squads when you look at it from an overall team perspective. 6-6 seems like a minimum ceiling, anything less would be a disaster.

Last edited:

I like your optimism, and I've seen enough to be optimistic going forward. I always thought people were getting way ahead thinking 9+ wins. The goal was, still is, and should be for the rest of the way to get to a bowl game.
That being said, it seems like every year we have a "should be" record. Every team in colege has a "should be record". When a team is actually good, there "should be" record is identical, or very similar to their real record.
We aren't good yet. We're average.

I like your optimism, and I've seen enough to be optimistic going forward. I always thought people were getting way ahead thinking 9+ wins. The goal was, still is, and should be for the rest of the way to get to a bowl game.
That being said, it seems like every year we have a "should be" record. Every team in colege has a "should be record". When a team is actually good, there "should be" record is identical, or very similar to their real record.
We aren't good yet. We're average.

In CFB, average gets you to a bowl. We’ve been bad or “improving” slowly since 2013.

I’ll take it. Especially knowing what we have next year.

I hope in the bye week we really work on tackling. This can be such an easy fix if handled the right way, and could make a huge difference down the stretch. So many plays our guys are wrapping there arms just fine but both of their legs are on the ground and the back is getting serious extra yardage. LEG DRIVE!

Yes, having been saying this for weeks. We look to tackle up top every time and it’s beyond frustrating to watch.

I don't understand how people keep mentioning losing out like the last 2 years. Situation is totally different. Those years we were absolutely shredded with injuries and had no depth. This year we have the depth and are as healthy as you can hope for being half way through the season.

I am still sick over Saturday. We really let one get away from us. It kills me that we are two 4th down plays away from being 6-0. Now instead of being 6-0, top 15, and the whole town buzzing about the potential the season has, or even at 5-1, the attitude is completely opposite because of these back to back losses. Now it's same old same old and people expecting to lose out because that's what happened prior years. I am here to report that there is no way in hell we are losing out. If we lose out I will never post on this board again. In fact I still think this is a very good team, and still have a great chance to get 8 wins.

This may end up being the season of what could have been. This is a once in every 10-15 years chance that the ACC has imploded like this. Not going to be many years that we catch FSU, and Louisville being the worsr they have been in 10 years, and BOTH of our division crossover games being the worst in that division. Throw in getting NCST at home and there was a huge opportunity for a massive season. I do think it's still there for the taking. We have remained healthy, have the best pass rushing duo since the Freeney days, and are turning teams over like we have never seen before. We are 1 above average MIKE away from being undefeated. I also thought a 9-10 win season was attainable because we had a 4th year starting QB that was getting Heisman love. Unfortunately, he is having the worst season of his career. His completion % has plummeted, and all the attention he gets running the ball has even bottled that up to an extent.

We still have a chance for a very good season. Anything less that 8 wins and I will be pretty disappointed. Let's hope Dungey and the LB's get it figured out so we can maximize our potential against a very manageable schedule.

Look on a much calmer note it was a great post Rocco cause I have been over the edge a bit. Pulled me of the ledge so to speak. I truly hope they are fixing the lb spot somehow cause it’s the last 2losses that got me. This team has so much more potential.

We could be 6-0 but we shouldn't be 6-0. We could not get crucial 4th down stops when we needed them, we couldn't convert our own 4th downs and we allowed 2 running to run for 200 yards each. 200 yards each. Could be.

This team losing out would be a worse meltdown then the last two years combined, I can't even fathom that happening, this team despite its flaws has shown its much better then those two squads when you look at it from an overall team perspective. 6-6 seems like a minimum ceiling, anything less would be a disaster.

Completely agree with this. I still think we win 8+ games, but this team needs to decide how they're going to come back and fight for it. This bye week is huge.

This is a stellar team that is quite capable of beating the next 6 opponents. That's all that really matters.

Completely agree with this. I still think we win 8+ games, but this team needs to decide how they're going to come back and fight for it. This bye week is huge.

This is a stellar team that is quite capable of beating the next 6 opponents. That's all that really matters.

I don't know if I'd say stellar, but it's the best team top to bottom, all three phases, since '12.

Solid top 40 as is, and if they get better in either the pass game or run defense, I'd say solid top 25. Don't have to fix both to do that.

We could be 6-0 but we shouldn't be 6-0. We could not get crucial 4th down stops when we needed them, we couldn't convert our own 4th downs and we allowed 2 running to run for 200 yards each. 200 yards each. Could be.
This is an important distinction. Clemson really outplayed us on both sides of the ball, but our special teams advantage helped us hold the lead until the very end.

Despite the weirdness of the Pitt game, we had every opportunity to close the game out. We're good but not great. Good but flawed teams like SU lose games like Pitt all the time in college football. We're not nearly good enough to compete for an ACC title yet, but we can still regroup and have an excellent season for year 3 under this staff. Win the next two at home and we're back in the conversation for the Top 25.

The question I keep asking myself is if we played this schedule last year, would we be any worse than 4-2? If the answer is yes, than we've made progress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom