100 Years of Syracuse Lacrosse | Syracusefan.com

100 Years of Syracuse Lacrosse

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
100 Years of Syracuse Lacrosse: The Laurie Cox Era

In each of Syracuse's eight home contests this season, the Orange will be honoring one segment of the 100-years of men's lacrosse at Syracuse. Saturay, we take a look at the Laurie Cox Era, Syracuse's first head coach, who took the Orange through its first-15 seasons...

proxy.jpg

Thanks for posting this. My grandfather was a goalie on the 1924-26 teams. I can pick him out in the '25 photo but would have to look closer on the others. I want to get some copies of these to give to my mom who has two of his usila medals (one silver one gold) but no pictures.

100 Years of Syracuse Lacrosse: The Second John Desko Era

As part of the season-long celebration of Syracuse's centennial anniversary season, the men's lacrosse program will be honoring different segments of the 100 years at each game. On Saturday as the final enstallment, we celebrate the second segment of current head coach John Desko's tenure with the Orange where he won back-to-back NCAA titles and conference championships in six of the seven seasons they've been in a league.

Syracuse 100: Top 10 Moments in Orange History

ESPN Analyst, IL contributor and former Orange attackman Paul Carcaterra, ’97, is one of the sport’s foremost historians of Syracuse Lacrosse. Here, he lays out his Top 10 moments since 1979, which he identifies as a turning point year, bridging what SU Lacrosse was to what it became...

proxy.jpg

Last edited:

SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Syracuse University Athletics is featured prominently in Time Warner Cable SportsChannel's (TWCSC) upcoming programming schedule. The station will air two Orange specials multiple times on channel 323 throughout the state of New York from now until June 5.

The first is the Syracuse University Men's Lacrosse Centennial Celebration, presented by Sedgwick Business Interiors and the 1979 Syracuse men's lacrosse team in memory of David Mulherin.

Founded in 1916, the program turned 100 in 2016 and marked the occasion with a special event on Friday, April 1 at the Oncenter in downtown Syracuse. Master of Ceremonies Fred Cambria guided the audience through the team's remarkable and glorious history. Many of the program's legendary figures were in attendance, and the lineup of guest speakers included Hall of Fame head coach Roy Simmons Jr., Paul and Gary Gait, Pat McCabe, Joel White, Jeff McCormick, Paul Carcaterra and Mark Winter, among others.

Syracuse Lacrosse Centennial Celebration
Monday, May 23 - 8 p.m.; 9:30 p.m.
Tuesday, May 24 - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday, May 25 - 11:30 a.m.; 9:30 p.m.
Thursday, May 26 - 11 a.m.
Wednesday, June 1 - 11:30 a.m.
Thursday, June 2 - 1 p.m.
Friday, June 3 - 7 a.m.
Saturday June 4 - 11 a.m.
Sunday, June 5 - 4:30 p.m.

Centennial Team Selected by Fans

After more than 2,000 votes were cast, OrangeNation has picked its favorite players from the first 100-years of Syracuse lacrosse.

Thirty two former student-athletes were named to the team, which was selected strictly by a fan vote on Cuse.com. In order to be a nominee, a player must have been inducted into the hall of fame, and/or earned a major postseason award, and/or been named an All-American in multiple seasons.

On attack, Mike Levielle, Tom Marechek, Tim Nelson, Casey Powell, Mike Powell, Ryan Powell, Kevin Rice and John Zulberti were selected to the roster.
The eight selections on attack all are 200-point scorers at SU and are ranked in the top-15 of the program's all-time scoring list. The group has combined for three Tewaaraton Awards, four Lt. Raymond J. Enners Awards, and 12 Lt. Col. Jack Turnbull Awards in their years with the Orange.

At midfield, Matt Abbott, Jim Brown, Steven Brooks, Roy Colsey, Gary Gait, Paul Gait, Dom Fin, Brad Kotz, Charlie Lockwood, Jojo Marasco, Jovan Miller, and Joel White all were voted onto the team by the fans. The group combined for three Enners Awards and six Lt. Donald C. MacLaughlin Jr. Awards, while both Gaits, Kotz and Nelson were all named to the NCAA 25th Anniversary Team.

On defense, Marshall Abrams, Ric Beardsley, Solomon Bliss, John Glatzel, Pat McCabe, Jeff McKee, Brian Megill, Steve Panarelli and Sid Smith were selected by the fans. Three were awarded the William C. Schmeisser Award for best defenseman in the NCAA during their time with the Orange.

In net, John Galloway, Rob Mulligan and Matt Palumb were voted in, with Galloway winning the only two Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr. Awards in the program's history, while Palumb was the 1988 NCAA Championship Most Outstanding Player and Mulligan was on the NCAA Championship All-Tournament team in 2000 and 2001.

Centennial Team Selected by Fans

After more than 2,000 votes were cast, OrangeNation has picked its favorite players from the first 100-years of Syracuse lacrosse.

Thirty two former student-athletes were named to the team, which was selected strictly by a fan vote on Cuse.com. In order to be a nominee, a player must have been inducted into the hall of fame, and/or earned a major postseason award, and/or been named an All-American in multiple seasons.

On attack, Mike Levielle, Tom Marechek, Tim Nelson, Casey Powell, Mike Powell, Ryan Powell, Kevin Rice and John Zulberti were selected to the roster.
The eight selections on attack all are 200-point scorers at SU and are ranked in the top-15 of the program's all-time scoring list. The group has combined for three Tewaaraton Awards, four Lt. Raymond J. Enners Awards, and 12 Lt. Col. Jack Turnbull Awards in their years with the Orange.

At midfield, Matt Abbott, Jim Brown, Steven Brooks, Roy Colsey, Gary Gait, Paul Gait, Dom Fin, Brad Kotz, Charlie Lockwood, Jojo Marasco, Jovan Miller, and Joel White all were voted onto the team by the fans. The group combined for three Enners Awards and six Lt. Donald C. MacLaughlin Jr. Awards, while both Gaits, Kotz and Nelson were all named to the NCAA 25th Anniversary Team.

On defense, Marshall Abrams, Ric Beardsley, Solomon Bliss, John Glatzel, Pat McCabe, Jeff McKee, Brian Megill, Steve Panarelli and Sid Smith were selected by the fans. Three were awarded the William C. Schmeisser Award for best defenseman in the NCAA during their time with the Orange.

In net, John Galloway, Rob Mulligan and Matt Palumb were voted in, with Galloway winning the only two Ensign C. Markland Kelly Jr. Awards in the program's history, while Palumb was the 1988 NCAA Championship Most Outstanding Player and Mulligan was on the NCAA Championship All-Tournament team in 2000 and 2001.
I know there are some stellar players there, but hard to leave Joel White off the defense list.

I know there are some stellar players there, but hard to leave Joel White off the defense list.

Looks like Joel is on the midfield list. I can see that.

Panarelli being on the list is embarrassing.

Panarelli was a stud, great in transition.

Incorrect. Panarelli was a gifted athlete who was far too cocky and made horrendous,unnecessary mistakes constantly. He embodied everything that was wrong with the program bottoming out in 2007, especially given that he was a captain and the perceived leader of that group. I can still him getting smoked by Seibald in the Dome in a tie game from the sideline with less than 10 seconds left (Seibald never even had to change direction the defense was so bad). As much as Levielle, Brady and Guads (and Hal Luther) and great freshmen class brought the program back in 08, having Steve graduate was the first big step in the change of culture.

Some huge omissions in this list. I don't care what the fans voted, the SID should have taken some liberties with this list. My knowledge of SU lax doesn't go back into the 70s and earlier, but how are Kevin Donahue, Kevin Sheehan, Todd Curry, Chad Smith, Greg Burns, Rob Kavovit, and Chris Cercy not on this list? I am not going to call out the guys who don't belong, but come on with some of these guys.

Some huge omissions in this list. I don't care what the fans voted, the SID should have taken some liberties with this list. My knowledge of SU lax doesn't go back into the 70s and earlier, but how are Kevin Donahue, Kevin Sheehan, Todd Curry, Chad Smith, Greg Burns, Rob Kavovit, and Chris Cercy not on this list? I am not going to call out the guys who don't belong, but come on with some of these guys.

cough cough Jovan Miller cough Marasco cough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom