11/14/2002 - anyone remember that game? | Syracusefan.com

11/14/2002 - anyone remember that game?

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick combined to shoot 5-24.

Team shot 36% from the field, 25% from 3, and 45% from the FT line. We scored 63 and lost to Memphis. Obviously we were screwed and would have a terrible offense that year right?

I know some might be gun shy from last year, but let’s not get too nuts because a couple good shooters shot bad while missing our PG...in a 32 point win.

Memphis 70 - 63 Syracuse: Final | 2002-11-14 | College Basketball | Yahoo! Sports

Team shot 36% from the field, 25% from 3, and 45% from the FT line. We scored 63 and lost to Memphis. Obviously we were screwed and would have a terrible offense that year right?

I know some might be gun shy from last year, but let’s not get too nuts because a couple good shooters shot bad while missing our PG...in a 32 point win.

Memphis 70 - 63 Syracuse: Final | 2002-11-14 | College Basketball | Yahoo! Sports

I remember watching that game at the Erie Blvd Tully’s and thought that the team was trash, Anthony was a black hole, and we would be lucky to make the NIT.

So yeah pretty lukewarm take.

I’m completely with you. This team is going to kill it. We gave up 34 points.

Right? If we shot well, we win by 50. And our 3rd leading scorer from last year didn’t even play.

Buddy could easily go 5-11 for 15 points next game with the same minutes and shot attempts.

Hughes will have some 20 point games and average doubles IMO.

Carey and Marek off the bench...that’s two guys with starter ability IMO. We’re good.

I remember watching that game at the Erie Blvd Tully’s and thought that the team was trash, Anthony was a black hole, and we would be lucky to make the NIT.

So yeah pretty lukewarm take.

Yeah, we weren’t impressive. Way out of sync. Melo made that pass fake to turn his defender around and hit the jumper, and I remember a run keyed by Pace. Other than that we were pretty listless.

First game I got to in person maybe a month later was Georgia Tech and we put up 90+ and looked like the best team in the country.

I remember watching that game and thinking I didn't know how good we were going to be but that team was going to be fun to watch. It was clear to me we had ballers.

I remember watching that game and thinking I didn't know how good we were going to be but that team was going to be fun to watch. It was clear to me we had ballers.

Yeah, there was talent. Bad first game. Things really rounded into form between game 1 and Christmas time though.

This team can win even when it shoots bad because the defense is so good. And the offense is going to be solid, IMO.

Yeah, we weren’t impressive. Way out of sync. Melo made that pass fake to turn his defender around and hit the jumper, and I remember a run keyed by Pace. Other than that we were pretty listless.

First game I got to in person maybe a month later was Georgia Tech and we put up 90+ and looked like the best team in the country.

Yeah I was at the Dome for Gtech as well. I thought it was the funnest game I had ever been to. And then the Pitt game happened.

Yeah I was at the Dome for Gtech as well. I thought it was the funnest game I had ever been to. And then the Pitt game happened.

Yeah, Gt was a lot of fun as we clicked on all cylinders and made it look easy. That Pitt game was the best crowd I’ve been a part of. It was just wild in there. That might’ve been the best Pitt team ever. We had to dig really deep to come back and pull that one out. Classic Big East war.

yep. tyus is playing out of position and being asked to initiate & facilitate for others. it's not his game.

first real game under the bright lights of the carrier dome for buddy & eli. unless & until a bigger sample size proves otherwise, i'm guessing their 0-8 night from the arc will prove to be an outlier. most nights they'll hit at least 3 of those.

Yeah, Gt was a lot of fun as we clicked on all cylinders and made it look easy. That Pitt game was the best crowd I’ve been a part of. It was just wild in there. That might’ve been the best Pitt team ever. We had to dig really deep to come back and pull that one out. Classic Big East war.

The two regular season games I remember best from that year were that Pitt game and the Notre Dame game in the Dome. We stopped Pitt from hitting #1 in the rankings with that win and JB had to get on the mic to tell everyone to stop storming the court until the game was actually over. Hak lost his mind at the end of the Notre Dame game and chucked the ball straight up in the air hoping that the last 10 seconds of the game would somehow elapse before the ball came back down...which they did not...leading to a mad scramble for the ball in the last few seconds of the game.

I remember that game well, and went to MSG to see it. Life was so much different back then without all the Internet chatter. You really went into it with less knowledge/background than we have now. We knew Melo was a stud, and think he almost scored 20 in the first half. Didn't know anything about Gerry and my first take - "wow a freshman white guy at PG, bold." Good example of how it takes teams time to gel.

Such a special year - undefeated at Dome, the Pitt ending, laying an egg in the BE tourney, then running the table.

The two regular season games I remember best from that year were that Pitt game and the Notre Dame game in the Dome. We stopped Pitt from hitting #1 in the rankings with that win and JB had to get on the mic to tell everyone to stop storming the court until the game was actually over. Hak lost his mind at the end of the Notre Dame game and chucked the ball straight up in the air hoping that the last 10 seconds of the game would somehow elapse before the ball came back down...which they did not...leading to a mad scramble for the ball in the last few seconds of the game.

Same! I was on the court after both of those games! Twice in the Pitt game! I didn’t bother the first time because I knew they were putting time back on the clock. The second time I was pretty sure it came after the buzzer and I guess figured we’d help make the decision for the refs?

Same! I was on the court after both of those games! Twice in the Pitt game! I didn’t bother the first time because I knew they were putting time back on the clock. The second time I was pretty sure it came after the buzzer and I guess figured we’d help make the decision for the refs?
Remember Boeheim getting on the microphone and telling the crowd to get off the court?

Remember Boeheim getting on the microphone and telling the crowd to get off the court?

Haha, yes.

I badly want to come across that game on YouTube one of these days. I’ve never seen the video of that game. Would love to experience it again.

I remember this game. Melo did that move where he faked a pass and then turned and shot a 3. It was amazing. Also I do remember thinking Gerry wasn't that good after watching that game and had concerns about our guard rotation without Edelin. It turned out Gerry had an ok career.

Haha, yes.

I badly want to come across that game on YouTube one of these days. I’ve never seen the video of that game. Would love to experience it again.
McNeal with the putback!!!

I was at MSG for that...the much-touted Melo's first game in Orange.
I remember moaning about all the missed free throws and open looks (by others)...but thinking how that kid can score almost any time he wants to.

Amazing. I also loved when he had to do that against Gtown when someone threw an orange at the backboard.

The 89 GTown game when something landed on the court, he told the crowd he was going to ask the refs to give his team a technical if it happened again and said “I don’t care about this game!”

His fists pumps after Douglas’s reverse dunk to clinch it said that he did indeed care about that game.

Present. I had also re-enrolled and there was a dance team member who was also in my Physical Chemistry Lab course and she had the T-Shirt cannon and misfired it nailing a dude in the third row flush, if anyone remembers that.

Melo had 27. I think we were up 57-54 at one point late.

I mostly listened to games on 1180 WHAM in rochester as I was 14 and my parents didn't have cable. I was a big fan though. I didn't listen to the Memphis game, but I remember listening the Pitt game on my grandfather's radio at his basement workbench. I remember Carmelo taking over late and Matt Park (I think it was him then?) saying after every bucket that he was "putting the Orange on his back." And then the McNamara shot to win it--it was great over the radio.

Among other things, I remember Dickie V going ape about Melo. At the time I thought it was all hype, and maybe it was, but maybe he saw something that I didn't think was all that obvious.

I mostly listened to games on 1180 WHAM in rochester as I was 14 and my parents didn't have cable. I was a big fan though. I didn't listen to the Memphis game, but I remember listening the Pitt game on my grandfather's radio at his basement workbench. I remember Carmelo taking over late and Matt Park (I think it was him then?) saying after every bucket that he was "putting the Orange on his back." And then the McNamara shot to win it--it was great over the radio.

Mark Johnson?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom