12 men penalty | Syracusefan.com

12 men penalty

florange44

Scout Team
It seems to me that when there is a 12 men on the field penalty on the defense, anything that happens on the play should be null and void and the screen defense gets a 5 yard penalty. Unless the offense wants to decline.

In our case it didn’t matter but to have offsetting penalties in that situation isn’t right.

Ami missing something? Did the ref get it right?

Florange44

It seems to me that when there is a 12 men on the field penalty on the defense, anything that happens on the play should be null and void and the screen defense gets a 5 yard penalty. Unless the offense wants to decline.

In our case it didn’t matter but to have offsetting penalties in that situation isn’t right.

Florange44

I agree. The play shouldn’t even count and 5 yards for us. Isn’t it a dead ball penalty?

Florange44
Only problem is that would give the team that didn’t have the 12 men on the field free reign to do whatever they wanted to an opposing player.
Could basically lay a guy out if you knew they had 12 men on the play.

Only problem is that would give the team that didn’t have the 12 men on the field free reign to do whatever they wanted to an opposing player.
Could basically lay a guy out if you knew they had 12 men on the play.
Good point. Maybe 5 yds on the defense automatically except for unsportsmanlike penalties?

I like how it was trying to be glossed over, where right after the play was finished they were like there is no flag for 12 men in the field.

One ref is always responsible for the player count, his "mistake" cost Syracuse time and distance. He was probably the same ref who decided to end the game with the penalty at the end. B1G games often have such inexplicable officiating.

Maybe for prevent defense we can roll 15 out next season?
bold GIF

Especially since these were Big 12 referees.
I was appalled that a ref would throw a flag to effectively end the game. We all watch sports for the drama, the unexpected ending, the "hail Flutie". The B!G throws their money and power around, look at their attack on their old partners and friends the Pac 12. Unless the Syracuse player had done something completely barbaric, you swallow the whistle there. The D made a last stand and they should have had to punt that ball.

I was appalled that a ref would throw a flag to effectively end the game. We all watch sports for the drama, the unexpected ending, the "hail Flutie". The B!G throws their money and power around, look at their attack on their old partners and friends the Pac 12. Unless the Syracuse player had done something completely barbaric, you swallow the whistle there. The D made a last stand and they should have had to punt that ball.

And we had no timeouts left, so Minnesota punts the ball with less than 20 seconds left in the game.

Unless you were expecting Pena to have the runback of his life, or Shrader to hurl the ball 80 yards, or the Stanford Band to play defense, this wasn't going to go our way.

Anything short of ripping a helmet off and munching on their nose huh?

And we had no timeouts left, so Minnesota punts the ball with less than 20 seconds left in the game.

Unless you were expecting Pena to have the runback of his life, or Shrader to hurl the ball 80 yards, or the Stanford Band to play defense, this wasn't going to go our way.
There could have been a bad snap or a blocked punt, those things happen especially on a muddy field. Crazy and wonderful things happen in a football game. Like the immaculate reception.

I agree. The play shouldn’t even count and 5 yards for us. Isn’t it a dead ball penalty?
It's not a penalty until the ball is snapped, rignt? I don't think they blow the play dead. It usually ends up being a free play. This ended up being unusual because an offensive player horse collared a defender. That may be the first time that has ever happened on a play where the defense had 12 men on the field.

It's not a penalty until the ball is snapped, rignt? I don't think they blow the play dead. It usually ends up being a free play. This ended up being unusual because an offensive player horse collared a defender. That may be the first time that has ever happened on a play where the defense had 12 men on the field.
When a guy doesn't get off the field in time I believe the play is blown dead at the snap. There should have been more time on the clock.

When a guy doesn't get off the field in time I believe the play is blown dead at the snap. There should have been more time on the clock.
I don't think I've ever seen it blown dead. The flag is thrown at the snap and it's played out. I've seen offenses occasionally score when the defense had 12 men on the field. I think I saw that when there was 13 once. I believe it was a sportcenter highlight where they had a good time mocking the defense.

That's beside the point.

One ref is always responsible for the player count, his "mistake" cost Syracuse time and distance. He was probably the same ref who decided to end the game with the penalty at the end. B1G games often have such inexplicable officiating.
Additionally, it was probably the ref who threw the flag for offside on the onsides kick, in case Syracuse recovered the ball. 3 calls that the rmiss or make that all hurt Syracuse's chances with the still hanging in the balance. Coincidence? One call maybe, two calls, very questionable, three calls.... dirty rats.

Three drives were demolished by penalties, the first on the false start (no replay), the 4Q drive with Holding on 57 with no replay but looked in real-time and upon rewind like a typical pancake block that happens all the time in the SEC and they give helmet stickers for, and the "motion penalty" on #7 that they did replay which left both announcers scratching their heads over...

So since the penalty tally was 6 to 2 and they seemed to come at advantageous times for Minnesota, and they took 3 mins to count to 12 after not wanting to call or review that play, color me suspect. (but that's my nature)

if guys are getting off the field they normally let the play go and throw a flag. when d is playing with 12 they normally just call a substitution penalty and blow the whistle.. When the refs dont notice or are unsure it goes to review.

the final penalty where clark was getting abused 20 yds from the play would have been interesting to see the finish of that call as to what happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom