? | Syracusefan.com

?

BillSU

All American
I need some honest opinions.

I have followed Lacrosse over the years but only to see the scores / rankings and have the knowledge that we are the winningest university with 11 mens national championships.

It’s only been two years since Gary Gait, the best lacrosse player ever, became head coach of the men’s team. I know he’s a winner and has won everything you can win as a player, his history as a professional, coaching MD, coaching the women at SU. His record is almost incomparable to anyone.

I want to know if it’s because of parity - other schools have become just as good over the years with great high school players heading to other schools? Were we expected to get better on the men’s side with Gary Gait now coaching? Do players across the nation like Joey Spallina still want to play for Syracuse, or is it just too soon to tell?

Parity has rdefinitely changed the game the last 10 yrs. I think after seeing the young talent on this team and Will Mark coming back that some top grad transfers will want to come play for SU next yr. They know all of our freshman will be improved next yr and this team is a Fogo and few players away from being a top team in the country next yr.

Parity has rdefinitely changed the game the last 10 yrs. I think after seeing the young talent on this team and Will Mark coming back that some top grad transfers will want to come play for SU next yr. They know all of our freshman will be improved next yr and this team is a Fogo and few players away from being a top team in the country next yr.
Thank you. I thought the lacrosse fans would respond but maybe they don't have opinions on this team and where it's going?

Most are excited about the future. Face offs held this team back as they would have made the tournament this yr and won a few more games. Their not ready to compete for a title yet but the future is bright. A lot of young talented players who should take the next step next yr. If they can land a solid FOGO in the portal and few solid players til fill a few holes then being Will Mark is back in cage next yr for his final season they can make some noise. Like I said most SU fans are excited about the future.

Thank you. I thought the lacrosse fans would respond but maybe they don't have opinions on this team and where it's going?
Your thread title doesn’t exactly draw the eyes.

Also, the answers to your questions are everywhere in the other threads.

Another thing that I feel is hurting Syracuse is the cost of tuition, room & board. Lacrosse teams only have 12.5 scholarships and a roster is usually 45-50 players. $75,000 is a big pill to swallow if you're not getting any aid. Many of these kids can go to an Ivy League school (or Duke, UVA, Notre Dame, Georgetown which are also prestigious institutions) and play for that price and you at least have an Ivy degree/equivalent when you're done. I'm not discounting a Syracuse degree (I'm an alum myself), but many of the top programs also provide elite educations.

The flip side is you can go to a state school for much cheaper and compete at the D1 level and not have $300k of debt when you're done.

Another thing that I feel is hurting Syracuse is the cost of tuition, room & board. Lacrosse teams only have 12.5 scholarships and a roster is usually 45-50 players. $75,000 is a big pill to swallow if you're not getting any aid. Many of these kids can go to an Ivy League school (or Duke, UVA, Notre Dame, Georgetown which are also prestigious institutions) and play for that price and you at least have an Ivy degree/equivalent when you're done. I'm not discounting a Syracuse degree (I'm an alum myself), but many of the top programs also provide elite educations.

The flip side is you can go to a state school for much cheaper and compete at the D1 level and not have $300k of debt when you're done.
syracuse has a pretty good financial aid situation (school schollies and grants). not ivy good, but pretty good. plus, i believe recently you can now stack athletic schollies, which it was either or before. and they have the haudenosaunee. anyone that's paying full sticker isn't doing it with all debt.

a school like villanova doesn't even have the full 12.6 and little tradition. and they're knocking on the door of the nc$$ again.

I have followed Lacrosse over the years but only to see the scores / rankings and have the knowledge that we are the winningest university with 11 mens national championships.

It’s only been two years since Gary Gait, the best lacrosse player ever, became head coach of the men’s team. I know he’s a winner and has won everything you can win as a player, his history as a professional, coaching MD, coaching the women at SU. His record is almost incomparable to anyone.

I want to know if it’s because of parity - other schools have become just as good over the years with great high school players heading to other schools? Were we expected to get better on the men’s side with Gary Gait now coaching? Do players across the nation like Joey Spallina still want to play for Syracuse, or is it just too soon to tell?
syracuse had a real chance to keep capitalizing in their early acc years, but arguably what "happened" was regular season success didn't carry over to the nc$$. they had the best acc intra-conference record for years. they've owned duke (i wish).

that chipped away at recruiting, and by all accounts that may now be on the upswing. in large part due to desko's staff (and maybe spallina), though jd won't see the fruits. gait may. rome wasn't (re)built in a day.

It's as simple as this... Get a FOGO in the portal that can actually win face-offs and the wins will come next year. Look at the Duke game as exhibit A, when we won 7-8 Faceoffs the team came right back. Keep guys from portaling and this team can score. Lax is a brutal sport if you cannot possess the ball.

A big problem as well in the later part of Deskos tenure was he relied on the Syracuse brand to recruit instead of actually going out and recruiting. And when Desko did get a high profile recruit or recruits they decommitted or left after a semester.

Tuition also plays a part but there are plenty of kids whose parents will spend the money. For me as long as we keep this young nucleus and add good transfers who can lead (Kirst like) and a experienced FOGO then we'll be a tourney team in the very near future.

Gary who has his flaws, built the women's team into a constant title contender, I think he can do the same with the men, you can see it with how close some of our games have been.

I have nothing to offer regarding the state of the program, but just putting Jim Brown's name out there for the lacrosse player ever.

Your thread title doesn’t exactly draw the eyes.

Also, the answers to your questions are everywhere in the other threads.
At least I got some replies.

Thank you for your suggestion - I will look at some other threads.

A big problem as well in the later part of Deskos tenure was he relied on the Syracuse brand to recruit instead of actually going out and recruiting. And when Desko did get a high profile recruit or recruits they decommitted or left after a semester.

Tuition also plays a part but there are plenty of kids whose parents will spend the money. For me as long as we keep this young nucleus and add good transfers who can lead (Kirst like) and a experienced FOGO then we'll be a tourney team in the very near future.

Gary who has his flaws, built the women's team into a constant title contender, I think he can do the same with the men, you can see it with how close some of our games have been.
I didn't ask but was wondering about Deskos involvement in recruiting.

Why would a high profile recruit leave after a semester? Team and facilities not good enough? Coaching?

$75,000 is a lot.

I did not do my research and did not realize lacrosse teams only get 12.5 scholarships for a full roster of 40 - 50 players. Not a good ratio IMO.

I didn't ask but was wondering about Deskos involvement in recruiting.

Why would a high profile recruit leave after a semester? Team and facilities not good enough? Coaching?
Desko had a tendency to redshirt Freshman. Which I think rubbed a lot of guys and their families the wrong way. Like why are we paying 50k+ for my kid to sit... Which isn't totally Deskos fault, but still might have played a role.

At least I got some replies.

Thank you for your suggestion - I will look at some other threads.

Bill not a shot at you but this question has been asked and answered about a half dozen times in various forms since Dekso was forced out/Gait Hired. That's probably why your not getting an overwhelming amount of responses.

$75,000 is a lot.

I did not do my research and did not realize lacrosse teams only get 12.5 scholarships for a full roster of 40 - 50 players. Not a good ratio IMO.

It's 12.7 scholarships but as Wgdsr noted almost no one is paying full tuition or even close to it. SU has very good aid and grant packages as well.

Bill not a shot at you but this question has been asked and answered about a half dozen times in various forms since Dekso was forced out/Gait Hired. That's probably why your not getting an overwhelming amount of responses.
Did not know that. Thanks for the information.

Jeremy - I can't let this go.

With his record below you are saying he was forced out? Says he retired but I'm guessing there is more to it than that - like the star player for the women's team was retained as head coach after a stint at Harvard and BC and StarGait wasn't going anywhere and was appointed HC? Or something like that?

John Terry Desko is a retired lacrosse head coach. Desko coached the men's lacrosse team at Syracuse University for 22 seasons from 1999 to 2021. Desko took over as head coach in 1999 from Hall of Fame coach Roy Simmons Jr.[1]

Early life[edit]
The Desko family grew up in Camillus, a suburb of Syracuse.[2] He played high school lacrosse at West Genesee, the 15-time state champions.[3][4]

College career[edit]
Desko started out in the midfield but was switched to defense by assistant coach Jay Gallagher.[1][2] He earned All-America honors as he helped Syracuse to a 10–5 record in 1979 and the school's first NCAA playoff berth.[5] His two younger brothers, Dave and Jeff, were also All-American lacrosse players at Syracuse.[6][7][8][9]

As Coach[edit]
Simmons offered Desko an assistant job when assistant coach Jay Gallagher decided to leave Syracuse. Desko made only $1,000 a year as a coach, and waited tables in his spare time. He stayed on as an assistant for next 19 years.[1] After taking over the top job from Roy Simmons Jr. in 1999, he became the first person outside of the Simmons family to coach Syracuse lacrosse since 1931.[1]

Desko won five NCAA Championships as head coach and six more as an assistant coach.[3] In his first eleven years as head coach, he coached the Syracuse lacrosse team to seven NCAA finals appearances and nine Final Fours. The most recent championship came in May 2009, when Desko led the Orange to their 10th National Championship with a 10–9 overtime comeback victory over Cornell.[10][11]

Under Desko, Syracuse won 4 straight Big East championships from 2010 to 2013.[12][13] After joining the ACC in 2013–14, Syracuse won back-to-back ACC Tournament championships in 2015 and 2016. Syracuse was also the regular season champion in 2018.[14]

Desko also coached Team USA to a runner-up finish at the 2006 World Lacrosse Championship.[15][16]

On June 6, 2021, Syracuse Women's Lacrosse team head coach Gary Gait was named as head coach of the Syracuse Men's Lacrosse team,[17] replacing Desko, who retired after 22 seasons as head coach.[18]

Jeremy - I can't let this go.

With his record below you are saying he was forced out? Says he retired but I'm guessing there is more to it than that - like the star player for the women's team was retained as head coach after a stint at Harvard and BC and StarGait wasn't going anywhere and was appointed HC? Or something like that?

John Terry Desko is a retired lacrosse head coach. Desko coached the men's lacrosse team at Syracuse University for 22 seasons from 1999 to 2021. Desko took over as head coach in 1999 from Hall of Fame coach Roy Simmons Jr.[1]

Early life[edit]
The Desko family grew up in Camillus, a suburb of Syracuse.[2] He played high school lacrosse at West Genesee, the 15-time state champions.[3][4]

College career[edit]
Desko started out in the midfield but was switched to defense by assistant coach Jay Gallagher.[1][2] He earned All-America honors as he helped Syracuse to a 10–5 record in 1979 and the school's first NCAA playoff berth.[5] His two younger brothers, Dave and Jeff, were also All-American lacrosse players at Syracuse.[6][7][8][9]

As Coach[edit]
Simmons offered Desko an assistant job when assistant coach Jay Gallagher decided to leave Syracuse. Desko made only $1,000 a year as a coach, and waited tables in his spare time. He stayed on as an assistant for next 19 years.[1] After taking over the top job from Roy Simmons Jr. in 1999, he became the first person outside of the Simmons family to coach Syracuse lacrosse since 1931.[1]

Desko won five NCAA Championships as head coach and six more as an assistant coach.[3] In his first eleven years as head coach, he coached the Syracuse lacrosse team to seven NCAA finals appearances and nine Final Fours. The most recent championship came in May 2009, when Desko led the Orange to their 10th National Championship with a 10–9 overtime comeback victory over Cornell.[10][11]

Under Desko, Syracuse won 4 straight Big East championships from 2010 to 2013.[12][13] After joining the ACC in 2013–14, Syracuse won back-to-back ACC Tournament championships in 2015 and 2016. Syracuse was also the regular season champion in 2018.[14]

Desko also coached Team USA to a runner-up finish at the 2006 World Lacrosse Championship.[15][16]

On June 6, 2021, Syracuse Women's Lacrosse team head coach Gary Gait was named as head coach of the Syracuse Men's Lacrosse team,[17] replacing Desko, who retired after 22 seasons as head coach.[18]

It's noted as a retirement officially but make no mistake Desko would still be the SU coach right now if it was up to him. Gait being hired was how the situation worked out but SU didn't approach him it was the other away around.

Desko didn't make it past the first round after 2017, mind you With some seriously talented squads. Also the Chase Scanlan situation, one in which plenty of people told Desko not to bring Scanlan in because of past problems he had... He also kinda just became stale, and former players were starting to grow pessimistic on his coaching/ recruiting. The loudest was after his last game a 18-8 drubbing by G'town... But definetly the Scanlan situation was the Dagger, and was the reason Wildhack needed to Force Retire him.

Desko didn't make it past the first round after 2017, mind you With some seriously talented squads. Also the Chase Scanlan situation, one in which plenty of people told Desko not to bring Scanlan in because of past problems he had... He also kinda just became stale, and former players were starting to grow pessimistic on his coaching/ recruiting. The loudest was after his last game a 18-8 drubbing by G'town... But definetly the Scanlan situation was the Dagger, and was the reason Wildhack needed to Force Retire him.

2017: Lost to Towson 7-10
2018: Lost to Cornell 9-10
2019: Lost to Loyola 13-15
2021: Lost to Georgetown 8-18.

As to the Scanlan deal, the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.

2017: Lost to Towson 7-10
2018: Lost to Cornell 9-10
2019: Lost to Loyola 13-15
2021: Lost to Georgetown 8-18.

As to the Scanlan deal, the truth is sometimes stranger than fiction.
Just watched John Desko's retirement speech. It seemed cordial to me.

Seems like there are two sides to every story. What a great career he had.

Congratulations to him and here's to moving towards great seasons ahead for SU LAX.

desko wasn't getting it done late . he knew the expectations when he took the hire. gait also ain't getting it done but it's only year two and we took a small step forward. he'll get a little leash but c'mon THIS IS SYRACUSE !
and lax is a sport in which we rule !

Love him or hate him, Quint made a comment during one of our last few games about how the socioeconomic situation has changed in lacrosse. It's just true. A lot of kids playing for clubs have parents who can drop a lot of cash into developing their sons (and daughters, for that matter), and they're inclined to push them to Ivies if they have the opportunity handed to them. It didn't used to be that way when we were funneling kids in from the CNY and LI pipelines. I really believe the ship will be righted under GG. It's just a different environment and was never going to happen in 2 seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom