1917 | Syracusefan.com

SWC75

Bored Historian
I finally saw ‘1917’ today after months of advertising. I didn’t disappoint. It was harrowing but very emotionally involving with excellent performances. There were all kinds of dramatic vignettes that drove home the inhumanity of war and the humanity of its participants. At the end, with the breathless “one take” action of the film, I wound up feeling like I have delivered the vital message, (although I could never have made it). Definitely the movie of the year in a year with some great movies.

Some of it reminded me of “They Shall Not Grow Old”, (especially a late scene where some troops waiting to go into action listen to one of their comrades sing a song in the woods), but the film has an ambiance all its own, one that changes as the terrain they grow through changes. Both are very much worth seeing.

Visually stunning, and trying to resolve how they did the One Take thing while watching it is pretty cool.

its the most complete movie that was nominated.

It really is a movie to be seen in the theater. some really nice set pieces.

i read on some sites people saying its a movie to just wait and see at home? i cant imagine getting the same vibe from the visuals and the sound at home? Other people i talked to said it was too boring not enough action.. When i walked out and talked with some of the strangers we were like on the edge the whole thing not really knowing what was gonna happen all sorts of action i thought.

i read on some sites people saying its a movie to just wait and see at home? i cant imagine getting the same vibe from the visuals and the sound at home? Other people i talked to said it was too boring not enough action.. When i walked out and talked with some of the strangers we were like on the edge the whole thing not really knowing what was gonna happen all sorts of action i thought.
No way, its a movie to see in RPX. Thought it was beautiful and there were some moments that were very very powerful.

As a world war one avid reader, I thought it did a great job depicting the hopelessness of an albeit pointless war.