1980 SU hoops poster

Sherman20

2018 Iggy Leading Scorer Winner
Awesome!

From those humble beginnings, a fairly nondescript coach built a storied program.
Boeheim and Syracuse had been a semi-regular presence among the top 20 in the years leading up to the opening of the Dome. I think they had been #2 for a while behind DePaul in 1979-80. As this poster says, the program had been to 8 straight NCAA tournaments. And we had the longest home winning streak in the country at Manley until the infamous Gtown game. So the program had started to gain serious momentum.

realorange

All American
Does anyone know what the University was projecting for basketball attendance when the Dome was on the drawing boards?

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Staff member
Does anyone know what the University was projecting for basketball attendance when the Dome was on the drawing boards?
I remember reading that the decision to move basketball to the Carrier Dome was made very late and against extremely strong resistance from Jim Boeheim. Jake was hoping they might possibly be able to average 15K playing in the Dome. Remember, Manley had a capacity of about 6K until around 1977 when it was expanded to hold 9600.

Good article that talks about the Dome and its impact on the program...

SYRACUSE PROGRAM MAKES JUMP FROM FORLORN TO FOREFRONT

HOFCeluck

Hot takes comin through
The Carrier Corporation “Demi-Dome (TM)” is sure to revolutionise the basketball aficionado experience for decades to come.

tbonezone

Living Legend
what happened behind the curtain stays behind the curtain. it was as much a social thing as a sports thing.

Top Bottom