1st and 2nd half offense and defense. | Syracusefan.com

1st and 2nd half offense and defense.

JonB

Walk On
What do you guys think is the issue with the difference between the first and second halves? Teams are killing us on defense, and we suck more on offense. It is lack of coaching adjustments, poor training staff, better coaching adjustments by opponents, not playing the bench enough? There is clearly a trend with second halves. They are getting schooled on both sides of the ball in these losses. I do not have the numbers, but I told my buddy at halftime, “time to blow this lead in the second half.”
Boeheim used to kill teams in the second half. What the hell is going on?

For the few second halves I was able to stay awake, as soon as we go into “we have a lead, let’s not lose and burn some clock” it starts to go downhill. I’m sure there is a more technical reason, but it falls into my philosophy that no lead is ever safe when we are playing. Jacking three with no time left in shot clock, missing, not getting rebound is recipe for second half disaster. Or conversely, waiting until no time left on shot clock, wildly driving to rim missing layup (of course) and not getting rebound.

matador defense - looks like they are playing on roller skates. SU is so foot slow to contest shots, Gerard, both Boeheims, Swider. Pssst - press SU they can’t deal with it

For the few second halves I was able to stay awake, as soon as we go into “we have a lead, let’s not lose and burn some clock” it starts to go downhill. I’m sure there is a more technical reason, but it falls into my philosophy that no lead is ever safe when we are playing. Jacking three with no time left in shot clock, missing, not getting rebound is recipe for second half disaster. Or conversely, waiting until no time left on shot clock, wildly driving to rim missing layup (of course) and not getting rebound.
I am with you - I went to bed when we were up 10 lol I saw the trend beginning and was like "yeah my sleep is more important" and I am happy I got that extra 45 mins of sleep. Thats where we are at these days lol

Our D is the problem in most of these blown leads in my opinion. Teams can't pressure us aggressively if they don't score and our 2nd half D is matador. Jesse covered a lot of our problems in the 1st half last night but he wore down which didn't help.

This team reminds me of football teams that can execute the 10-15 plays that are scripted and practiced to start the game but can’t handle things when changes are needed.

Whether that be due to coaching, personnel, the weather, whatever, that’s what it reminds me of.

In the first half Miami was in a total fog. They didn’t play hard and they just passed the ball around the zone and took jump shots. In the second half they drove around us and got in our faces on defense. They pressured our forwards into submission.

In the first half Miami was in a total fog. They didn’t play hard and they just passed the ball around the zone and took jump shots. In the second half they drove around us and got in our faces on defense. They pressured our forwards into submission.
I don’t think I’ve seen a lead that size evaporate that quickly

Few things. Miami was much more aggressive on D in the 2nd half. They became more physical. The refs allow lots of hand check poking and pushing and it threw off Syracuse. Lots of reach-ins too. A lot of help from multiple defenders. When Buddy did his backing into the lane... off-ball defenders helped by swiping at the ball and frequently dislodging it or at least making it uncomfortable for Buddy. Caused lots of disruption and turnovers.

On the flip side, Syracuse's zone is not physical but then again, it seems that when playing zone, being physical creates a different standard for the refs. The same level of contact playing man results in fouls when done in a zone. That said, I would like to see Syracuse adjust their zone and trying out the prodding done frequently by tight man-to-man defenders. Aggressive hand checks that other teams get away with against Syracuse. At least give it a try.

Last edited:
The second half for Miami is basically a blueprint of how to play v Syracuse this year.

It's 90% coaching adjustments. Of course, the other team has to execute as well.

I don’t think I’ve seen a lead that size evaporate that quickly

That was a bit of a shock - I was updating my GF on the score and every 10 seconds it felt like I was throwing in some crazy update.

We're only up 10 now!!

Crap, we're only up 5 now!

Down 2!!!!

There was a bit of laughter tossed in as we dribbled off our legs and fell down a lot.

That was a bit of a shock - I was updating my GF on the score and every 10 seconds it felt like I was throwing in some crazy update.

We're only up 10 now!!

Crap, we're only up 5 now!

Down 2!!!!

There was a bit of laughter tossed in as we dribbled off our legs and fell down a lot.
Our guys always fall down. Very slowly usually. It’s a tradition going back to Devo

Benny came in the first half and played great defense. Even though the stat board does not reflect his impact, he was preventing a lot of ball movement. We had a great lineup with Girard, Symir, Benny, Cole/Jimmy, and Jesse for part of the first half where everything was clicking on both ends. A lot of our run in the first half was the result of good defense and Miami being on their heels and not ready on defense. The announcers attributed the 1-3-1 adjustment in the second half as slowing the Miami run, but it was the 1 minute Benny got in the second half. JB went back to the starters, and Miami took over the game again. JB lacks the awareness that his offspring are having an off night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom