2-point shootouts? NCAA looks to limit OT football games | Syracusefan.com

2-point shootouts? NCAA looks to limit OT football games

I think it's time for change in the college OT. too many times games are 21 all and end up 49-48 where the final score in no way reflects what kind of game it really was.

Adopting the modern NFL model makes sense. Could be tweeks. Play with no clock .

Start with the ball at the 50. If you score - TD or FG - the other team gets the ball at the 50 to try and tie or win. If tied, flip who goes first and repeat. If still tied, same process but no FGs allowed. It’s TD or nothing.

I think it's time for change in the college OT. too many times games are 21 all and end up 49-48 where the final score in no way reflects what kind of game it really was.
Is 'knowing what kind of game it really was' that important though? If you watched the game, you know what kind of game it was. If you didn't, you can check the box score. If you don't want to do that, it wasn't that important to you.
1548803929011.gif

Start with the ball at the 50. If you score - TD or FG - the other team gets the ball at the 50 to try and tie or win. If tied, flip who goes first and repeat. If still tied, same process but no FGs allowed. It’s TD or nothing.

I agree with the 50 being the new starting point, but not the TD or nothing. That could be a marathon too. 4th down stops.

If you back it to the 50 and require 2 point conversions from the start of OT, there's likely to be no marathon. Coaches still have to make 4th down decisions, there will be longer field goals and more misses.

Although, how many marathon OT games were there, outside of the one that everyone knows about?

how many games go 1-2 OTs vs 3+ and how many go 5+?

Even then 3 one play scores gets you to 4 OTs and thats not the same wear and tear of 3 7-8 plays drives for TD. How many plays before OT matters too.

all along start at the 25 was dumb,, At least make most teams have to get a 1st down to kick a FG, but then they worry about teams even getting FGs. of course teams will go for it on 4th until the get a scoring chance and may even pass up more FGs starting from further back, who knows

Your Kaiser’s NFL Playoff OT plan is this:

I
- 10 minute “5th Qtr”
- No Kickoffs. Ball on your 30.
- No FGs 1st possession. Unconverted 4th, Punt, Turnover or TD.
- TD must be 2pt conversion

If still tied:

II
- 1st and Goal at the 10
- All types of scoring available
- 2pt conversion only

Wash rinse repeat II till winner

I don’t want to see a soccer game break out...

Just back it up to the 35. Goodness sakes. I betcha more often than not overtime will be over after each team has one possession. Can't believe they are so worried about this

Start at the 40, keep the rest of the rules the same.
Teams that can score a TD will likely win in 1 or 2 possessions.

It would be interesting to see OT stats over the life’s of the current format.

Keep the current OT rules, just make it so there are no OT FGs or extra points.

Is 'knowing what kind of game it really was' that important though? If you watched the game, you know what kind of game it was. If you didn't, you can check the box score. If you don't want to do that, it wasn't that important to you. View attachment 151637

Problem is more from a stats perspective and a qb that had 1 td in regulation, having 5 at the end of ot. Its skewed and whacky. it's gimmicky and regular play is a better option with rules going against a tie.

Your Kaiser’s NFL Playoff OT plan is this:

I
- 10 minute “5th Qtr”
- No Kickoffs. Ball on your 30.
- No FGs 1st possession. Unconverted 4th, Punt, Turnover or TD.
- TD must be 2pt conversion

If still tied:

II
- 1st and Goal at the 10
- All types of scoring available
- 2pt conversion only

Wash rinse repeat II till winner

I don’t want to see a soccer game break out...
Do it at the same time, at opposite ends of the field.

Yeah maybe after the first 2 OTs. But you already have to go for 2 at that point the game won't be shortened that much if anything it might go way more possessions think of how many rounds shootouts in hockey can go.

2 tiered targeting is dumb. They already review it so the kid can stay in the game if its not that bad.

Even the NHL got rid of ties.

Soon the NFL will too.

All games should have a winner and loser.

And Pat Dye should get syphilis. Again.
Plus HIV, Ebola, Bird Flu, Herpes, Cholera, and Dengue fever.

FIFY.

I personally think the current NFL OT format is a perfect balance. The old NFL format was way too skewed towards who won the coin toss, and I find the current college system just too drawn out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom