2010 and 2012 hurt more and more as years go by | Syracusefan.com

2010 and 2012 hurt more and more as years go by

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
we're not gonna have teams that good again in the boeheim era, and who knows how long it will take to be 1 seed good again post boeheim.

its still infuriating those 2 teams didnt get a fair shot at winning it all. i see teams like duke and unc and now virginia who get 1 and 2 seeds every year and that type of bad luck never happens to them. yet it happens to us 2 out of 3 years. and it happens again this year to a much lesser team. im still bitter, ffffffff this bs!

we're not gonna have teams that good again in the boeheim era, and who knows how long it will take to be 1 seed good again post boeheim.

its still infuriating those 2 teams didnt get a fair shot at winning it all. i see teams like duke and unc and now virginia who get 1 and 2 seeds every year and that type of bad luck never happens to them. yet it happens to us 2 out of 3 years. and it happens again this year to a much lesser team. im still bitter, ffffffff this bs!

Virginia had a key player go down last year and lost to a 16
Duke has lost to Mercer, Lehigh, and a 2nd round exit to SC since 2012.

Bad losses happen to everyone

Virginia had a key player go down last year and lost to a 16
Duke has lost to Mercer, Lehigh, and a 2nd round exit to SC since 2012.

Bad losses happen to everyone

im not talking about bad losses, im talking about losing starters 1 day or 1 game before the tournament

im not talking about bad losses, im talking about losing starters 1 day or 1 game before the tournament

Then why did you include Virginia? Who that literally happened to last year lol

I'd be curious how the tournament would be if it were a double elimination.

We got jipped out of a title twice but we did unexpectedly go to final fours in 13 and 16 so that almost made up for it.

Was it SU's decision to suspend Fab for the tournament or the NCAA?

We got jipped out of a title twice but we did unexpectedly go to final fours in 13 and 16 so that almost made up for it.

Ah, not really.

Those runs were fun because they were so completely unexpected, but capped off otherwise meh seasons.
And I honestly didn’t expect to win it all either time, even after we got to the FF.

2010 & 2012 were GREAT TEAMS.
Had all the pieces needed to cut down the nets...

until they didn’t. :(

/ pours yet another one out for AO’s knee and Fab’s, uh, brain?

Ah, not really.

Those runs were fun because they were so completely unexpected, but capped off otherwise meh seasons.
And I honestly didn’t expect to win it all either time, even after we got to the FF.

I thought the 13 team had a chance we should have beat Mich and lville we played tough in the bet just ran out of gas.

Were we worried about Kansas's bad luck in 2003 when they lost Wayne Simien who didn't play in the championship game?

I get it though; the team in 2010 would have won imo and I really believe the 2012 team with Fab could have beat Kentucky; but these things happen in college sports and good teams can make up for it. The 2010 team still could have/should have won.

Were we worried about Kansas's bad luck in 2003 when they lost Wayne Simien who didn't play in the championship game?

I get it though; the team in 2010 would have won imo and I really believe the 2012 team with Fab could have beat Kentucky; but these things happen in college sports and good teams can make up for it. The 2010 team still could have/should have won.

In fairness, Simien didn’t play about half of the season, including the whole tournament. That Kansas team was good enough to make it the whole way to the championship game without him. It’s not like he got hurt the night before.

That being said, the OP has selective memory. UNC lost their PG in 2012 and Duke had bad luck with Kyrie Irving in 2011.

I always feel like 2010 is the title that got away. KSU would have been playing us after a 3OT game. MSU had a key injury. That Duke team that won a title was terrible. With AO, I think we roll right through.

The other reason I feel much worse about 2010 is that the injury hit AO. Loved him. He developed so much and was such a good player that fit so well. That team just worked and seemed to be the best version of what we could be in the more recent era.

2012... well, 1) UK was always there and 2) We knew we were rolling the dice with Fab. Sometimes you get burned.

2010... That stupid GTown game.

Ah, not really.

2013 was eminently winnable. If we get the block/charge call on the Triche drive, the Michigan game may go the other way. And I believe we were the only team that could have handled LVille--3 weeks earlier we had them on the ropes. And then the Cards could have avoided the embarrassment of vacating a title. :)

2013 was eminently winnable. If we get the block/charge call on the Triche drive, the Michigan game may go the other way. And I believe we were the only team that could have handled LVille--3 weeks earlier we had them on the ropes. And then the Cards could have avoided the embarrassment of vacating a title. :)

We beat Louisville at their place that year.

Ah, not really.

Idk, I expected the 2013 team to win it after we beat Indiana. We were a couple of plays away from beating Michigan (one of them being a HORRIBLE call) and we would have faced a Louisville team that we had already beaten that year AT Louisville, not to mention we were beating them soundly in the Big East tourney before running out of gas. Yes that team hit a wall towards the end of the regular season but we were a top 10 team most of the year and were hitting our stride again. Plus that was an absolute elite defense, one of our best zones ever.

i see teams like . . . unc . . .who get 1 and 2 seeds every year and that type of bad luck never happens to them . . .

In one of the two years you reference (2012) Carolina was certainly the best equipped team to take out the eventual champ Kentucky. They had played them tough in Rupp earlier in the season, only to lose to them on a last second bucket. Of course Kentucky improved a lot over the season, but with Kendall Marshall finding his outside shot late in the season to keep defenses much more honest, UNC were poised to give them another tough game. Marshall getting hurt in rd. 2 was amplified by his backup at point (Dexter Strickland) already being out for the season with a torn ACL. Plenty of bad luck for them that year.

Huge overreaction, but I like your passion.

It sucks to lose a starter during the conference tournament, but say it again with me:

Syracuse was a very good team without Onuaku.

They crushed Gonzaga and were playing their best basketball of the year. They brought their C game against Butler, still had them on the ropes with 3 minutes to go, and let them off the hook.

They were good enough. They didn't lose because of the injury. They lost because they had a bad game at the wrong time.

And it's a shame, because Duke was weak, Michigan State lost Kalin Lucas after Onuaku got hurt (to me, it's way worse to lose a point guard than a center who takes 7 shots per game), and Kansas State played two overtimes with Xavier in the late game on Thursday night. We should've rolled to the championship game. But we spotted Butler a 11-0 lead, our two go-to scorers pulled a disappearing act down the stretch, and Boeheim mismanaged our tempo after we regained the lead.

Ah, not really.

we could have won it in 13

In fairness, Simien didn’t play about half of the season, including the whole tournament. That Kansas team was good enough to make it the whole way to the championship game without him. It’s not like he got hurt the night before.

That being said, the OP has selective memory. UNC lost their PG in 2012 and Duke had bad luck with Kyrie Irving in 2011.

Understood -- but the point is they made up for it; good teams do. Both 2010 and 2012 teams could have went further regardless of the untimely setbacks. There was no reason the 2010 team couldn't have got past Butler and into the FF without Arinze, they just blew it against Butler. And I'll be on record to say the officiating cost them severely in 2012 against OSU. However, you can look back at a bunch of teams in the tourney who could say they would have won if not for injuries here or there.

Understood -- but the point is they made up for it; good teams do. Both 2010 and 2012 teams could have went further regardless of the untimely setbacks. There was no reason the 2010 team couldn't have got past Butler and into the FF without Arinze, they just blew it against Butler. And I'll be on record to say the officiating cost them severely in 2012 against OSU. However, you can look back at a bunch of teams in the tourney who could say they would have won if not for injuries here or there.

I agree. That Butler game was an extremely frustrating two hours. Should’ve won regardless of Onuaku being unavailable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom