2017-18 Fall Ball / Mumps Ball / Preseason Ball | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2017-18 Fall Ball / Mumps Ball / Preseason Ball

Copied from my laxpower post

I would guess Solomon, Rehfuss, Bomberry (with sprinkling of Voigt and eventually Seebold).

Martin would be interesting. He had a unique skill set coming out of HS in that he was seemingly first a face off guy, then developed his offensive game, all while being a very good multi-sport athlete. The skills required of the face off wings are GBs, being able to handle the ball, play defense when you lose the face off. It seems like he has that skill set, but I think what the SU coaches are finding is they need guys on the wings who play with a certain attitude (relentless pursuit of the ball, physicality) as well. I think Schwasnick and Paduda earned time because of their attitude when playing on the wings, not because of their abundance of skill. They tried Martin with a long stick last year, but it didn't result in any playing time. I always root for the midwest kids on the roster, so I hope he makes an impact on the field at some point.

Chavez got a little playing time last year. Dilts was a crease defenseman in high school. He's probably not a vacuum on GBs. Edwards didn't come in very highly regarded.

Hopefully this is an area of focus, because none of the FOGOs are going to win 60%.
Thanks. I agree, as another midwest transfer, I too root for those players to shine. Dilts is from Indiana, so I will hope he finds a place as well, but I think cracking the 2 deep on defense is going to be very difficult in the future. I forgot all about Brett Kennedy, and have read good things about him, prior to his injury. Perhaps, he fills a spot this year? Cunningham, T. Bomberry, and #21, are all young with years remaining. Throw in Dipietro and our D is set for several years. If we can find a goalie to groom this year, the team in 2019 should be very set on that end.

Thanks for the breakdown above Jeremy. I agree Bomberry is probably better suited for middie than attack, but I also fear that there isn't a definite 3rd starting caliber attackman on the roster or at least ready for primetime at the moment. That's why I thought he could make the move. Would love to hear what happened with Logan. Kid was going to get playing time this year, and his GF goes to cuse. Homesickness I guess? Still seems strange not to stick it out.

Any word on whether Henry Grass who is still in the student database comes back to the team?

Winaskaus transfer impacted plans. Expect Voight as 3rd att assuming Bomberry plays mid otherwise he's the 4th, Dordevic likely 2nd line mid but has played attack. Expect Swas, Helmer at ssdm with Hutchings, Ford n perhaps Olaunmoye providing depth there

A starting attack of Rehfuss, Solomon, and Bomberry might be the weakest SU attack that I can even remember in 30 years besides maybe last years version of Evans Solomon and Bomberry. Its not a knock on those guys but man that doesn't scream SU at all. I think SU has to see what Seebold or one of the other Frosh has after Wisnaukas bailed.

I believe Sullivan is also playing SSDM, Ford last I knew was buried on the O depth chart.

Sullivan got a little time at SSDM last season, and he is blazing fast. I hope he earns more time.

Ford was apparently moved to attack last season. That seemed strange, but yeah, he was buried.

Man we could really have used a big time offensive transfer this offseason similar to Bomberry last year. Things will be shaky on the offensive end and while I think our defense should be pretty good if goalie play is similar to last year, we are going to struggle at the face-off X potentially and may be playing a lot of defense.

Is it too late to get a transfer? Are there any out there on the market SU might be interested in? Disappointed nothing ever came to fruition with the Zach Miller situation.

For this year to be a success it has to be the year of a great defense. Mellen, Bomberry, Cunningham, and Fusco all back. Plus some wild cards like Hutchings. Put Mellen on most #1's and he's gonna shut them down we forgot how good he was as a freshmen now he's essentially a junior. Bomber physicality makes attackman shy away from the middle cuz they know a hits coming. And Fusco plays with more passion than anyone on the team. He gets guys fired up. Sure goalie and D mids are question marks when are they not for us in the recent past. I'm excited to watch this D this year.

For this year to be a success it has to be the year of a great defense. Mellen, Bomberry, Cunningham, and Fusco all back. Plus some wild cards like Hutchings. Put Mellen on most #1's and he's gonna shut them down we forgot how good he was as a freshmen now he's essentially a junior. Bomber physicality makes attackman shy away from the middle cuz they know a hits coming. And Fusco plays with more passion than anyone on the team. He gets guys fired up. Sure goalie and D mids are question marks when are they not for us in the recent past. I'm excited to watch this D this year.

I expect Kennedy or one of the younger guy will likely pass Cunningham on the 1st team by the spring.

Imagine if we could get Austin Staats on this years team. I agree defense should be solid, especially if Willie Klan or Porter/Strang can fill the goalie spot. Staats, Solomon, Rehfuss would be a solid attack line, and allow Seebold and the other freshman Jeremy noted, like Curry to redshirt.

I am completely lost on who will be on the middie lines. How many more chances do we give to Matt Lane, Ryan Simmons, and or Nick Weston, if he is even still on the team.

1st line: Bomberry, Lane, Trimboli
2nd line: Quinn, Carlin, Weston? Romano? Dearth? O'Sullivan or is he a SSDM now?

I truly have no idea how this will shake out.

Imagine if we could get Austin Staats on this years team. I agree defense should be solid, especially if Willie Klan or Porter/Strang can fill the goalie spot. Staats, Solomon, Rehfuss would be a solid attack line, and allow Seebold and the other freshman Jeremy noted, like Curry to redshirt.

I am completely lost on who will be on the middie lines. How many more chances do we give to Matt Lane, Ryan Simmons, and or Nick Weston, if he is even still on the team.

1st line: Bomberry, Lane, Trimboli
2nd line: Quinn, Carlin, Weston? Romano? Dearth? O'Sullivan or is he a SSDM now?

I truly have no idea how this will shake out.

To me this is the year Desko and the staff have to throw caution to the wind and play young guys from the word go, when you bring in 6 of the top 50 midfielders of whatever the stat was you definitely have talent that is ready to play right away despite what will surely be some growing pains.

As for the midfield lines I see it as follows
Trimboli, Bomberry Quinn/?
Lane, Dearth, Simmons, Dordevic, O'Sullivan, Westin
Fight for the second line will be fascinating to watch. Westin I believe is back as he took a red-shirt last year. He was pretty much a non factor his first three years so unless he makes a big senior jump he's probably going to fall far down the depth chart.

Simmons was probably the most consistent guy on the 2nd line which isn't saying a lot considering how bad it struggled at times but he had a few nice games and brings a wealth of experience. Assuming Dearth isn't moved to SSDM I think he has a good grip on a second line spot. I really like Dordevic to just don't know where he is health wise after his knee injury last spring. I would put Curry here to but I think ( my opinion only) he's a candidate to be bumped to Attack. Lauder is a dark horse here as well.

O'Sullivan has not been moved to SSDM, he doesn't have the size to play that position. He is built like Salcido and does have great speed. He could break out with a year under his belt. Not writing off Romano but he has been recruited over at this point, he's really going to need to show something in fall ball or early winter/spring practice to have any shot of seeing the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred after this season or after this semester if the writing is on the wall.

To me this is the year Desko and the staff have to throw caution to the wind and play young guys from the word go, when you bring in 6 of the top 50 midfielders of whatever the stat was you definitely have talent that is ready to play right away despite what will surely be some growing pains.

As for the midfield lines I see it as follows
Trimboli, Bomberry Quinn/?
Lane, Dearth, Simmons, Dordevic, O'Sullivan, Westin
Fight for the second line will be fascinating to watch. Westin I believe is back as he took a red-shirt last year. He was pretty much a non factor his first three years so unless he makes a big senior jump he's probably going to fall far down the depth chart.

Simmons was probably the most consistent guy on the 2nd line which isn't saying a lot considering how bad it struggled at times but he had a few nice games and brings a wealth of experience. Assuming Dearth isn't moved to SSDM I think he has a good grip on a second line spot. I really like Dordevic to just don't know where he is health wise after his knee injury last spring. I would put Curry here to but I think ( my opinion only) he's a candidate to be bumped to Attack. Lauder is a dark horse here as well.

O'Sullivan has not been moved to SSDM, he doesn't have the size to play that position. He is built like Salcido and does have great speed. He could break out with a year under his belt. Not writing off Romano but he has been recruited over at this point, he's really going to need to show something in fall ball or early winter/spring practice to have any shot of seeing the field. I wouldn't be surprised if he transferred after this season or after this semester if the writing is on the wall.
I think one of my posts caused some confusion. Devon Sullivan is a candidate for SSDM. He is blazing fast and played a litle there last season. Riley O'Sullivan played some 2nd and 3rd line middie last season and he is smallish and very quick. He's a match up problem if anyone puts a short stick on him. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the 1st or 2nd line in 2018.

Weston is not back, he graduated. I'll comment more on players when I have time to sit in front of the computer

Bigger concern is, women's scrimmages this weekend canceled and there is a chance everything gets shut down for the fall

Last edited:
Geez, this Mumps issue may really be screwing up the fall. Hope this disturbance doesn't continue much further n affect season preparation to any degree. Fall play obviously would assist sorting out some larger questions at G, att and middy lines .Can not reasonably expect team to go 13-3 again because highly unlikely that any team could repeat such a high number of one goal wins . Schedule may also be a bit tougher given some changes and Albany, Duke and Va. have likely improved. Not a pessimist as Cuse can be good come playoffs but be nice to get into full gear with full squad sooner than later

Geez, this Mumps issue may really be screwing up the fall. Hope this disturbance doesn't continue much further n affect season preparation to any degree. Fall play obviously would assist sorting out some larger questions at G, att and middy lines .Can not reasonably expect team to go 13-3 again because highly unlikely that any team could repeat such a high number of one goal wins . Schedule may also be a bit tougher given some changes and Albany, Duke and Va. have likely improved. Not a pessimist as Cuse can be good come playoffs but be nice to get into full gear with full squad sooner than later

Schedule is going to be very difficult this year. Its been revamped. Siena is gone and Bingo is now the first game of the year form what I have heard. Was hoping we would ditch Albany but alas no. Rutgers is on as well. UVA, Duke, ND, are all going to be loaded along with an improved Cornell team with Teat and company. Not sure if St. Johns is still on or not, that might be the only gimme game. Army's D should be really good but I think there offense might really struggle.

I think Rutgers replaced St Johns, and we get Colgate and Hobart at home.

I think Rutgers replaced St Johns, and we get Colgate and Hobart at home.

Siena might be gone as well or they got bumped back, Heard Bingo is the opening game.

Weston is not back, he graduated. I'll comment more on players when I have time to sit in front of the computer

Bigger concern is, women's scrimmages this weekend canceled and there is a chance everything gets shut down for the fall
Alumni vs current team is canceled. Old vs young alumni game will still take place. I'm assuming at this point the remainder of fall ball is canceled as well

I heard Rutgers and Navy for the spring

Wow Navy to. I know SU has a history of playing a top SOS each year and has never backed down from any team but man you have to schedule a few sure wins. Next years schedule is ridiculous. ND, Duke, UVA, UNC, Albany, Hopkins, Cornell, Army, Rutgers (top 10 team likely), and Navy. Jesus.

Wow Navy to. I know SU has a history of playing a top SOS each year and has never backed down from any team but man you have to schedule a few sure wins. Next years schedule is ridiculous. ND, Duke, UVA, UNC, Albany, Hopkins, Cornell, Army, Rutgers (top 10 team likely), and Navy. Jesus.
That's just what I heard, it could be false but I will hear more definitively in the coming weeks and will gladly pass on the news

Word is that mlax fall season is officially over due to the mumps issue n some other Cuse sports have also been impacted. Not sure if they are even continuing practice

Word is that mlax fall season is officially over due to the mumps issue n some other Cuse sports have also been impacted. Not sure if they are even continuing practice

Brutal...

Are you serious?

Sheesh - if it wasn't for bad luck, we'd have no luck at all.

Yes it is. Hearing players can't even use any facilities for practicing or conditioning for a month. That would stunt the staff n kids on several fronts .
This might not be the case, but could all the players redshirt and come back for the following season? If so could be a blessing in disguise, of course I will miss lax but our roster in 2018 would be sickkkkkk.

This might not be the case, but could all the players redshirt and come back for the following season? If so could be a blessing in disguise, of course I will miss lax but our roster in 2018 would be sickkkkkk.
The actual season is still going to happen. They're not shutting down the program for the year. I don't think that would even be possible. They are just not doing the scrimmages this Fall it seems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom