2017 LSU Game | Syracusefan.com

2017 LSU Game

Nick44

All Conference
This year we have the 8th ranked schedule. In 2017, it could be ranked even higher.

At what cost would it be worth it for the University to buyout of the LSU matchup to help manage this schedule? $1M? $2M-$3M? What cost is worth it if it means you have a solid chance of winning 7-8 games in year 2 of Babers program versus 5-6 games? Is there a price that can be put on continued momentum?

Look, I get that adding the right opponents hasn't exactly been a strength of the athletic department the last several years. Not to mention we are still short of an opponent as it is. But next year we are staring down the barrel of Clemson, Pitt, at FSU, at Miami at Louisville and at LSU. I hope the new AD office looks at this possibility, if it is on the table.

This year we have the 8th ranked schedule. In 2017, it could be ranked even higher.

At what cost would it be worth it for the University to buyout of the LSU matchup to help manage this schedule? $1M? $2M-$3M? What cost is worth it if it means you have a solid chance of winning 7-8 games in year 2 of Babers program versus 5-6 games? Is there a price that can be put on continued momentum?

Look, I get that adding the right opponents hasn't exactly been a strength of the athletic department the last several years. Not to mention we are still short of an opponent as it is. But next year we are staring down the barrel of Clemson, Pitt, at FSU, at Miami at Louisville and at LSU. I hope the new AD office looks at this possibility, if it is on the table.

Ain't happening.

And I, for one, can't wait to go to Baton Rouge!!!

And play who instead?

We just scraped the bottom of the barrel to sign Middle Tennessee State for 2017, and we still need an FCS team.

I don't believe anyone else has an opening for 2017.

giphy.gif

And play who instead?

We just scraped the bottom of the barrel to sign Middle Tennessee State for 2017, and we still need an FCS team.

I don't believe anyone else has an opening for 2017.
Not sure if this applies to the 9/23/17 game date but I thought this was a well written article back in April - Syracuse Football: Nope, the 2017 Orange Non-Conference Schedule Still Isn't Done

I get that this is unlikely and less than ideal but the foolishness of TGD that led to this non-conference schedule is stunting the growth of this football program. They should look at any and all possibilities to fix the 2017 schedule.

I actually believe that the toughness of this years schedule may put us in a strong position to win at LSU next year.

Every single word of this thread can go straight to hell.

That is not how Syracuse does things. We go and get drilled so be it, but you rob yourself of the chance to surprise someone and propel yourself on a national stage. Even moreso than beating the other teams you mentioned would.

Nick seriously? This game will be on national TV...a decent chance it could be a coming out party for Dino's offense
Mark, seriously. I get all of that, and sure it could be the "coming out party" as it falls in that 4-6 week range that Dino always mentions when he talks about this offense.

But, did you catch the frustration in Dino's voice when he recently talked about the strength of our upcoming schedules in reference to the Penn State question? This is a results based business, as we all know, and I am not referring to the diehards like us when I say this. But, if he averages 5-7 wins per year over the next 1-3 years, his job becomes expotentially more difficult when he is unable to build upward momentum.

The LSU game is a must. Besides, the Orange will be much improved with a very fast offense. Mr. Fornette may move on to the NFL after this season. LSU could loose several key players to the NFL. Our team played LSU tough last year. Why is that we need to buy Buy this game?

Every single word of this thread can go straight to hell.

That is not how Syracuse does things. We go and get drilled so be it, but you rob yourself of the chance to surprise someone and propel yourself on a national stage. Even moreso than beating the other teams you mentioned would.

Clemson, FSU, Miami and Louisville are national stages that is plenty next year. The LSU home and home was stupid. This team has made 3 bowl games in the last 14 years. That is also how we do things. I am crazy excited about Dino taking over but I could have done without LSU on the schedule next year

Clemson, FSU, Miami and Louisville are national stages that is plenty next year. The LSU home and home was stupid. This team has made 3 bowl games in the last 14 years. That is also how we do things. I am crazy excited about Dino taking over but I could have done without LSU on the schedule next year

The LSU series was scheduled right after we won three bowl games in four years.

Pitt has won 10 games exactly one time (2009) in my lifetime. I was born in 1982. Miami hasn't won 10 games since 2003. These are slightly above average football programs, at best.

LSU is probably the most exciting environment to watch a college football game in America. Even if we go and lose by a few TDs, isn't the opportunity to go and play on that stage worth it?

This is what you need to do. Get a few of your buddies together. Plan a couple days in New Orleans, and then a day or two in Baton Rouge. I guarantee that you will have a better time with this itinerary than if you went to watch us play Western Michigan in the Dome in front of 28k sleepy fans.

Dumbest post in a while. Back out after committing to home and home? Our offense and ED could be clicking in year 2 of dinoball and its a great fan experience. Cant wait to experience death Valley. Great exposure for our program. Backing out with be very cowardly since they already honored their end of the bargain and showed up at the dome last season, which was a great experience.

Dont get me wrong. I get some of the things your saying Nick. More wins now can help us down the line but 1 thing is the LSU game is being used for recruiting. We have to sell to recruits that we will take on challenges and play some of best teams in the best venues in the country. Playing teams like LSU along with Clemson and FSU gives the players added motivated in the offseason. That's what we want. I look at the 2017 LSU game like BG at Tennessee this year. Babers 2nd year there. Its was there first game of the season so they weren't hitting on all cylinders yet. BG battled but didn't get key stops on defense. Keep in mind SU will have the whole defense back in 2017. That BG loss to Tennessee gave them confidence. They went to Maryland the follow week and beat them. They went 9-1 the next 10 games. The one loss during that stretch was by 3 points to a great Memphis team.

Dont get me wrong. I get some of the things your saying Nick. More wins now can help us down the line but 1 thing is the LSU game is being used for recruiting. We have to sell to recruits that we will take on challenges and play some of best teams in the best venues in the country. Playing teams like LSU along with Clemson and FSU gives the players added motivated in the offseason. That's what we want. I look at the 2017 LSU game like BG at Tennessee this year. Babers 2nd year there. Its was there first game of the season so they weren't hitting on all cylinders yet. BG battled but didn't get key stops on defense. Keep in mind SU will have the whole defense back in 2017. That BG loss to Tennessee gave them confidence. They went to Maryland the follow week and beat them. They went 9-1 the next 10 games. The one loss during that stretch was by 3 points to a great Memphis team.
I agree with your points and if the 2017 schedule didn't already have potentially 6 top 25 teams, I would be fine with this. But what's are best case scenario, we go 2-4 against the top 6 of are schedule, then finish 5-1 against the bottom 6 for a 7-5 season? That LSU game may help with recruiting but 7-5 is not going to excite the fair weather portion of this fan base or bring us any national attention. Plus, we've been playing these insane non-conference games for years and when have they ever paid off? With the exception of Missouri, in the last 10-15 years we've played USC x 2, PSU x 2, ND x 2 (pre-ACC), Washington x 2 and lost handily to all.

We've used this formula for years and IMO it hasn't paid off. Now we are in one of the most difficult divisions in CFB. I'm all for a challenging schedule, but not one that can cripple the growth of your program.

Nick44 said:
I agree with your points and if the 2017 schedule didn't already have potentially 6 top 25 teams, I would be fine with this. But what's are best case scenario, we go 2-4 against the top 6 of are schedule, then finish 5-1 against the bottom 6 for a 7-5 season? That LSU game may help with recruiting but 7-5 is not going to excite the fair weather portion of this fan base or bring us any national attention. Plus, we've been playing these insane non-conference games for years and when have they ever paid off? With the exception of Missouri, in the last 10-15 years we've played USC x 2, PSU x 2, ND x 2 (pre-ACC), Washington x 2 and lost handily to all. We've used this formula for years and IMO it hasn't paid off. Now we are in one of the most difficult divisions in CFB. I'm all for a challenging schedule, but not one that can cripple the growth of your program.

Is it the schedule or was it coaching and talent?

(My opinion is that it's a bit of both - that we need 1 FCS, 2 non P5, and a decent to marquee P5 team - unless we hit a Baylor like run, sans scandal, then you drop a non P5 for a P5 to build towards the playoff. In any regard 2017 will be difficult but maybe coaching and talent mitigate it a bit. Will be fun no matter what.)

I agree with your points and if the 2017 schedule didn't already have potentially 6 top 25 teams, I would be fine with this. But what's are best case scenario, we go 2-4 against the top 6 of are schedule, then finish 5-1 against the bottom 6 for a 7-5 season? That LSU game may help with recruiting but 7-5 is not going to excite the fair weather portion of this fan base or bring us any national attention. Plus, we've been playing these insane non-conference games for years and when have they ever paid off? With the exception of Missouri, in the last 10-15 years we've played USC x 2, PSU x 2, ND x 2 (pre-ACC), Washington x 2 and lost handily to all.

We've used this formula for years and IMO it hasn't paid off. Now we are in one of the most difficult divisions in CFB. I'm all for a challenging schedule, but not one that can cripple the growth of your program.
There's some truth to that. Can't front but what I would say is have faith. That's been Babers message since day 1. Faith in the plan "Belief without evidence"

we were competitive in some of the games you mentioned. A lot of those were scheduled while in the bigeast. 1 good p5 team,2 mac/cusa/sunbelt/army/navy /aac and 1 fcs is the scheduling model to follow

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom