2017 US Open | Syracusefan.com

2017 US Open

ScrabbCuse

Starter
The US Open starts tomorrow. Thoughts? Predictions?

With all the men who have dropped out, it's going to be tough to pick against Federer or Nadal. My one gripe is that with Murray dropping out yesterday, why wasn't Federer moved to the bottom half of the draw? Marin Cilic was moved to Murray's place leaving both Federer and Nadal in the same bracket. A possible situation in which the final might be lackluster compared to the semifinals.

On the women's side, I like Muguruza. She's peaking at the right time and her confidence is at an all time high. Halep is an absolute head case who can't seem to get over the hump. I feel a little sorry for her that as the 2 seed she has to play Sharapova in the first round. She doesn't really have anyone else to blame though as she had numerous chances the past few weeks to get the number 1 ranking.

Should be an interesting two weeks.

Great opening night win by unranked Sharapova against No. 2 seed Halep, Maria's first Grand Slam appearance in 19 months, first US Open in three years.

Looking forward to seeing her hotshot countryman Zverev play. The Rise of Alexander Zverev

Great opening night win by unranked Sharapova against No. 2 seed Halep, Maria's first Grand Slam appearance in 19 months, first US Open in three years.

Looking forward to seeing her hotshot countryman Zverev play. The Rise of Alexander Zverev

Great match. Felt like a quarterfinal or semifinal rather than the 1st round. Hopefully Sharapova doesn't have a let down against Timea Babos in round 2. It's like Syracuse facing Boston College two days after beating Duke.

As far as Zverev goes, if he doesn't make the semis, it will be really disappointing. There's no one scary on that side of the draw at all. Looking forward to seeing Federer and Nadal take the court tomorrow. The top half of the draw is tough.

Other than Halep going down, the only other big upsets were the seventh seed Konta going down on the women's side and Jack Sock going down on the men's. The quality of American men's tennis has been quite embarrassing the last decade or so.

Great performance by 19-year-old Frances Tiafoe in taking Federer to five sets. Hope this kid's here to stay, like him a lot.

I watched the 4th and 5th sets. It was fun, he has some game and some jam.

Here's one Canadian for you to cheer on Cowtown. Denis Shapovalov. Young, exciting player. Made quick work of the veteran Tsonga last night in prime time.

IMG_1583.JPG

I'm here working for the media. First time ever work a tennis event and it's certainly different. Still deciding on a favorite for the men's side (Tiafoe is a leader as he gave Federer a good fight). On the women's side, big fan of Madison Keys. Lots of emotion on the court and very kind during press conferences (which makes players even more likable).

So just to update after Round 2, the following top 10 seeds on each side are gone.

Men - 2) Andy Murray(withdrew)
4) Alexander Zverev
7) Grigor Dimitrov
8) Jo Wilfried Tsonga

Women - 2) Simona Halep
5) Caroline Wozniacki
6) Angie Kerber
7) Johanna Konta
8) Svetlana Kuznetsova

On to the round of 32. Who will fall next?

Last edited:
Two American women, Venus Williams and Sloane Stephens, into the semifinals. If Madison Keys and Coco Vandeweghe win tomorrow, there will be an all American semis and final.

Great win tonight (Tuesday) by the OG Venus to get to the semis. Tough match against Petra Kvitova, ended in third set tiebreaker. Would be nice to see the beautiful 37-year-old straight outta Compton win the Open 20 years since she made her Flushing debut at the age if 17, making it all the way to the championship match, where she lost to Martina Hingis.

American Women! Amazing that the Jennifer, Monica, Lindsay, Venus and Serena group couldn't accomplish this. Really an incredible two weeks for American tennis, especially with Serena out. So glad the women's semis are in prime time tomorrow night.

That Venus match last night was the best women's match I can remember since the Capriati/Henin semi final in 2003. I was going crazy and pacing my apartment like I was watching a Syracuse game.

Either Venus wins her first grand slam in 9 years or we have a first time American grand slam champion. Pretty incredible run by these four ladies.

I'm not sure when we will see an American man win a grand slam though. Querrey had a great opportunity with his section of the draw and no Murray, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Raonic or Nishikori. It's going to be much harder next time.

Either Venus wins her first grand slam in 9 years or we have a first time American grand slam champion. Pretty incredible run by these four ladies.

I'm not sure when we will see an American man win a grand slam though. Querrey had a great opportunity with his section of the draw and no Murray, Djokovic, Wawrinka, Raonic or Nishikori. It's going to be much harder next time.

Women's tennis gets top tier athletes. There's no sport other than tennis where women get equal billing. The crowd for Venus last night was as intense as any tennis match gets. So it's easy to attract the best female athletes. Men's tennis probably gets 3rd tier American athletes. Tennis is a first tier sport for much of the world. Hard to compete.

But it's nice to see that there's hope after Serena. Best part is I don't think these three are a fluke. They've all had their moments, but they have looked like top 10 players this tournament. The sound of the ball going off Madison's racket sounds so clean and she strikes it so well. It really reminds me of Lindsay and it's so cool that she coaches Keys. I like CoCo's game and think Pat Cash has been great for her as a coach. I haven't seen much of Sloane this tournament, though it's great to her have such a great summer. Feel bad for her tomorrow though since that crowd is all Venus.

Women's tennis gets top tier athletes. There's no sport other than tennis where women get equal billing. The crowd for Venus last night was as intense as any tennis match gets. So it's easy to attract the best female athletes. Men's tennis probably gets 3rd tier American athletes. Tennis is a first tier sport for much of the world. Hard to compete.

But it's nice to see that there's hope after Serena. Best part is I don't think these three are a fluke. They've all had their moments, but they have looked like top 10 players this tournament. The sound of the ball going off Madison's racket sounds so clean and she strikes it so well. It really reminds me of Lindsay and it's so cool that she coaches Keys. I like CoCo's game and think Pat Cash has been great for her as a coach. I haven't seen much of Sloane this tournament, though it's great to her have such a great summer. Feel bad for her tomorrow though since that crowd is all Venus.

Agreed. I think all of them stick around at the top for a while. As for this tournament, I'm predicting Venus vs Keys in the final. Not sure who will win, but I think it goes three sets.

Great win for Sloane Stephens, Serena's absence gave America's new stars a chance to shine.

And, man, did Sloane shine the other night against Venus and then today against Madison Keys. Big fan of her mom, too.

Great win for Sloane Stephens, Serena's absence gave America's new stars a chance to shine.

And, man, did Sloane shine the other night against Venus and then today against Madison Keys. Big fan of her mom, too.

A 940 spot jump in a little over a month? Incredible and probably something that we will never see done again. Congrats to Sloane.

Last year at this time, most people thought Federer and Nadal were done as far as their careers were concerned. A year later, they split the four grand slams. Guess we were all wrong. Congrats to Rafa on his US Open title and 16th major title overall. Well done!

Last year at this time, most people thought Federer and Nadal were done as far as their careers were concerned. A year later, they split the four grand slams. Guess we were all wrong. Congrats to Rafa on his US Open title and 16th major title overall. Well done!

He looked great. All in all, another outstanding fortnight in Flushing, notwithstanding the absence of some big names (Serena, Murray, Djokovic).