2018 DB’s | Syracusefan.com

2018 DB’s

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
Another position, like WR, that should show some transition.

Returning contributors:

Foster
Fredericks
Bradshaw
Cordy
Jones
Williams

2016s and 2017s:

Melifonwu
Coley
Clarke
Stritz

2018s:

Trill
Jonas
Cisco

Oh boy we’re getting some size and speed!

Who cracks the 1 and 2s? Who is phased out? Who’s a dark horse for pt? Whos going to make a difference? Who’s going to not crush our hopes and dreams and lay the open field tackle vs BC’s, Fsu’s, clemson’s and nc state’s running backs when they turn the corner?

Don’t look now but the secondary may become a strength very soon.

Strizinger is def moving to DB?
Was going to put ??’s around his name as I’m unsure.

I honestly don’t know what his role is at this point.

Have to assume Foster, Fredericks, and Bradshaw all keep their starting spots. Each had their ups and downs, but I think they did enough to stay put.

That free safety spot is key. Cordy, while loved by the board, is injury prone and hasn't proven he can play in this defense (just because we've never seen him). Can he hold up? Can he cut it?

Really unclear who comes next on the depth chart.

Its hard to know how Cordy will do.. He got hurt by freaks plays.. Its not like he wore down over the course of a season because of his size.

Seems like another grad transfer at Safety is likely, if they find the right fit.

who will also compete for Cordy’s job? Lets start there.

I think we see Fredericks & Scoop as the starting db's, with Cordy & Foster at safety. To be honest, I'm not crazy about Foster. I feel like he takes horrible angles and doesn't appear to be all that fast. Really like the other 3 guys I mentioned though. Sure, Cordy has his limitations due to his size, and he takes chances that sometimes burn us, but the kid is a play-maker. He always seems to be around the ball. It's nice to have someone in the defensive backfield that can create a turnover (pick/fumble) and take it the other way. I thought we were missing that this past season.

Excited to see Melinfonwu and Trill, after all the good things I read here. Thinking & hoping they will play a lot and contribute.

Carl Jones & Rodney Williams leave a lot to be desired. I'm just not sure they're P5 level players.

Have to assume Foster, Fredericks, and Bradshaw all keep their starting spots. Each had their ups and downs, but I think they did enough to stay put.

That free safety spot is key. Cordy, while loved by the board, is injury prone and hasn't proven he can play in this defense (just because we've never seen him). Can he hold up? Can he cut it?

I think Cordy is more likely to be a starter than Foster. Cordy is fast, has big play ability and experience. I believe Coach Babers praised him before each of the last couple seasons. He just happened to get hurt the past two years. Sure its a definite possibility he gets hurt again as he is not very big and more likely to suffer an injury. But on the plus side his previous injuries should not slow him down this year. I think he will be the starter. If he gets hurt we plug someone else in. We might as well use him while he's healthy. I know some will say he got beat on a play early in the year last year which he did. Misread it if I remember correctly. At least he won't get beat because he's not fast enough and he tackles with reckless abandon like he is much bigger.

Really think Melifonwu could be a factor in the line up. Where is Melifonwu likely to play CB or S? He had been practicing at CB right? I could see him being in the rotation at either position.

Trill seems to have the athletic ability to play right away and wouldn't be surprised to see him start at least at some point next year. Probably depends on how well he learns his assignments and how well the staff trusts him to execute them. Maybe he rotates in as well before they trust him completely. Sounds like Trill will start at CB though.

And then Jonas seems to have the athletic ability needed as well but may be a little rusty. Will he be completely healed?

Really think Melifonwu could be a factor in the line up. Where is Melifonwu likely to play CB or S? He had been practicing at CB right? I could see him being in the rotation at either position.

Trill seems to have the athletic ability to play right away and wouldn't be surprised to see him start at least at some point next year. Probably depends on how well he learns his assignments and how well the staff trusts him to execute them. Maybe he rotates in as well before they trust him completely. Sounds like Trill will start at CB though.

And then Jonas seems to have the athletic ability needed as well but may be a little rusty. Will he be completely healed?

I think the safe move is to rehab Jonas completely and let him RS? That guy is gonna be a 6'1 205 beast!

I don't think Williams or Jones get too much run the rest of their time here. Both don't seem to have the athletic ability to play at a high level. I though Jones may develop at S moving from CB but he just doesn't look to be able to tackle well in the open field. Williams just isn't fast enough. Both played last year out of necessity. I think we will hopefully have more depth (fingers crossed on health) where they are not needed.

I loved Martin. Pity he's gone.

I think Cordy is more likely to be a starter than Foster. Cordy is fast, has big play ability and experience. I believe Coach Babers praised him before each of the last couple seasons. He just happened to get hurt the past two years. Sure its a definite possibility he gets hurt again as he is not very big and more likely to suffer an injury. But on the plus side his previous injuries should not slow him down this year. I think he will be the starter. If he gets hurt we plug someone else in. We might as well use him while he's healthy. I know some will say he got beat on a play early in the year last year which he did. Misread it if I remember correctly. At least he won't get beat because he's not fast enough and he tackles with reckless abandon like he is much bigger.
Several things.

1) Cordy was the starter at FS in the opener. Foster started at SS in all 12 games.
2) Plugging someone else in corresponded to Williams and Ellison getting time at FS at the end of 2017, which corresponded to our defense suddenly getting much worse.

Williams is good in small spurts (Had a great Tackle against Clemson). Just don't want him as a starter.

I will take a shot.

CB:
Chris Fredericks
Scoop Bradshaw
Iffy Melifonwu
Eric Coley
Trill Williams

Fredericks and Bradshaw were quite good last season and I don't see them being beaten out of starting jobs by 2 redshirt frosh or a true frosh. I see Iffy and Eric as the backups and a concerted effort by the staff to redshirt Trill. All three of the young guys are over 6'0. The times, they are a changing.

FS:
Antwan Cordy
Devon Clarke
Carl Jones
Andre Cisco

Cordy is a freak athlete who has had a couple major injuries and some problems with pass coverage, mostly caused by his uber aggressive play. If he is healthy, it is clear he is going to play. Where he will play is not so clear. He has played both safety positions and the nickel. Could well play free safety normally and move to nickel back in passing situations.

Clarke has size and talent and should be over 190 by fall (he is listed at 186 from the fall). Cisco played safety in HS. He played at a powerhouse and is an early enrollee, which will help him. You would think Clarke would have a big advantage in experience over Cisco given he has been on campus for two years. But he hasn't practiced much.

Thought Carl Jones looked lost at safety late in the season. Maybe they move him back to CB.

Anyway, I think Cordy starts, with Clarke or Cisco as the backup. Whoever is the backup is likely to play a lot in nickel and dime situations.

SS:
Evan Foster
Cam Jonas
Rodney Williams
Allen Stritzinger

Foster is the returning starter and looked good for the first part of the season. His performance deteriorated in the second half, and at least part of the problem was probably because he was tired and/or banged up. He made some good plays and some bad ones. I don't think it is a given he returns as the starter, but there is no player well positioned to take the spot away from him, so it probably won't happen.

Cam Jonas played against top competition in HS and did so at a high level, but he missed his senior season with a knee injury. He is on campus early, not sure if he will be cleared to play. My guess is he will not be allowed to participate in contact drills in the spring. I think he is most talented player in the group and probably will break into the starting lineup at some point in 2018. Rodney Williams is a little small and a little slow but has a big heart. Don't know if Stritz is moving to defense. He is still listed as an RB on the roster. If he does, I think he gets assigned to the strong safeties and will battle Jonas for the future starting job at SS.

I see Jonas as the future SS. Really love his tape. If he doesn't start there, it is probably because he ends up starting at FS instead.

Wish we kept Melifonwu at Safety. Want to get our best athletes on the field as much as possible.

I will take a shot.

CB:
Chris Fredericks
Scoop Bradshaw
Iffy Melifonwu
Eric Coley
Trill Williams

Fredericks and Bradshaw were quite good last season and I don't see them being beaten out of starting jobs by 2 redshirt frosh or a true frosh. I see Iffy and Eric as the backups and a concerted effort by the staff to redshirt Trill. All three of the young guys are over 6'0. The times, they are a changing.

FS:
Antwan Cordy
Devon Clarke
Carl Jones
Andre Cisco

Cordy is a freak athlete who has had a couple major injuries and some problems with pass coverage, mostly caused by his uber aggressive play. If he is healthy, it is clear he is going to play. Where he will play is not so clear. He has played both safety positions and the nickel. Could well play free safety normally and move to nickel back in passing situations.

Clarke has size and talent and should be over 190 by fall (he is listed at 186 from the fall). Cisco played safety in HS. He played at a powerhouse and is an early enrollee, which will help him. You would think Clarke would have a big advantage in experience over Cisco given he has been on campus for two years. But he hasn't practiced much.

Thought Carl Jones looked lost at safety late in the season. Maybe they move him back to CB.

Anyway, I think Cordy starts, with Clarke or Cisco as the backup. Whoever is the backup is likely to play a lot in nickel and dime situations.

SS:
Evan Foster
Cam Jonas
Rodney Williams
Allen Stritzinger

Foster is the returning starter and looked good for the first part of the season. His performance deteriorated in the second half, and at least part of the problem was probably because he was tired and/or banged up. He made some good plays and some bad ones. I don't think it is a given he returns as the starter, but there is no player well positioned to take the spot away from him, so it probably won't happen.

Cam Jonas played against top competition in HS and did so at a high level, but he missed his senior season with a knee injury. He is on campus early, not sure if he will be cleared to play. My guess is he will not be allowed to participate in contact drills in the spring. I think he is most talented player in the group and probably will break into the starting lineup at some point in 2018. Rodney Williams is a little small and a little slow but has a big heart. Don't know if Stritz is moving to defense. He is still listed as an RB on the roster. If he does, I think he gets assigned to the strong safeties and will battle Jonas for the future starting job at SS.

I see Jonas as the future SS. Really love his tape. If he doesn't start there, it is probably because he ends up starting at FS instead.
Tom,
Thanks for your input. My thoughts are very much in line with yours. Let me start by saying I absolutely love Chris Fredrick and where his game is at this point. I think he was definitely one of the top two players on D last year as as Soph. Its between him and Slayton for me. He was extremely consistent and was almost a lock down corner for us which is amazing for us considering the recent history we've had at the position. He has far exceeded my expectations. He has decent size and does not let the WR get any separation. I don't see anyone taking his spot the next two years.

Scoop was better than expected for a Soph but did give up a bit more space off the line than Frederick and when a WR was making a catch against an outside corner it was against him and not Fredrick. He was still pretty good for a raw Soph though. I don't see anyone beating him out this year early. I could see him sheading a bit of time for some youthful talent more and more as the season goes on.

The young guys we have a CB are really going to push Scoop for playing time as they seem talented. Iffy is going to be good one and pushing him for sure. I think Coley could be pretty good as well. Trill will be a true frosh just learning but his tools and his athletic base to start are not like we have had here. Love our future outlook at CB. Talent there seems the best its been in 20 years. For that reason it seems like someone from that group will eventually move to safety. We can't NOT play some of these guys. I mean Fredrick, Iffy, Trill and Jonas are the most talented DB's we have. Have to find a way to play all of them soon.

At safety I agree Cordy will be a main player as long as he's healthy and on the field. Foster as a Soph was not quite as good as I hoped this year but he was still decent. When some of our other safeties got hurt is when we really struggled. The subs got beat repeatedly. I really think Jonas has the tools to be a starter for a long time. Just wonder if he will be ready this year. I think there is a fair chance he could be starting by the end of the year.

Clarke was not that highly recruited but maybe that was partially due to grades or something not improving until late or something...? He is a player who will have to show me something on the field before I get too high on him. His highlights didn't leave me extra excited but he does have the optimal size we look for and I don't have any connections like you to know what the staff has beens saying about him. Frederick's highlights from HS didn't excite me either and he has turned out great. Don't remember him having much video out there though. Love being able to redshirt guys. And hopefully he keeps his off the field issues in check and focus's on whats most important.

Stritz was highly regarded as DB prospect in high school but does' have any experience there in college yet. Don't see him making any impact there this year if he does make the switch but could be a player there in the future.

Cisco could have a decent future at safety as well but doesn't have enough experience as I think he only really played significantly there this year in high school as he played behind some talented players before that if my memory serves me correctly.

Really thing this group may start being a strength of the team as early as this year. Youth at LB is the only thing that really concerns me onD this year. Hopefully we can get some quick development out of some new guys like Derrell Smith and Hogue etc in 2009.

Last edited:
Davon Clarke I think is one of the more intriguing story lines this spring.
Agree Phat. I think he ends up starting by mid year, Meli as well.

Williams is good in small spurts (Had a great Tackle against Clemson). Just don't want him as a starter.

I have hated on R Williams many many times. He has value in spot situations for this team. 100%

So, at least some posters know that Fredericks left the house when Jordan transferred, and our DB is Chris Fredrick. Check the roster, check his uniform -- the name of our starting CB is Fredrick.

The good thing about our secondary is we have competition for roles. There is depth -- the nominal starters were not world beaters. We also have a change in the coaching, now that Kim McCloud will take the CBs.
The starters will be pushed by guys in the 2017 class (Melifonwu, Coley & Stritzinger if he is switched to defense). Open competition in the Spring. Wouldn't pencil in the winners just yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom