2018 Fall Ball Thread... | Syracusefan.com

2018 Fall Ball Thread...

Gonna be a really interesting fall. This team has some talent but a few kids really need to step up. Was wondering what you gentleman think who has to step up at each position. Give some names. I personally think the goaltender (whoever starts), cook, bomberry,,, and Quinn are going to be what brings this team over the top. We need to make it back to championship weekend. Pretty embarrassing we haven’t been there in years. we are CUSE

Gonna be a really interesting fall. This team has some talent but a few kids really need to step up. Was wondering what you gentleman think who has to step up at each position. Give some names. I personally think the goaltender (whoever starts), cook, bomberry,,, and Quinn are going to be what brings this team over the top. We need to make it back to championship weekend. Pretty embarrassing we haven’t been there in years. we are CUSE

"Pretty embarrassing we haven’t been there in years." Desko has us back recruiting top notch defensemen the last couple years. Desko has gone all the way to Oregon to pick up the best of the best. Get ready for great success in the near future. We Are The Orangemen.

I've watched Cook play, I'm not sold on him. He's 5'6 and I'm not sure he can go against 6'3 ACC defensemen. we shall see

I've watched Cook play, I'm not sold on him. He's 5'6 and I'm not sure he can go against 6'3 ACC defensemen. we shall see

I’d agree except that kid at Yale is a midget and highly successful because of how fast/quick he is. Cook has that blistering quick twitch speed that I think is going to make him very hard to cover.

The Goalie battle really is going to be the one to watch, it will be interesting to see how this one plays out!
McPeak had a great world games for Jamaica and was probably the best goalie there, let’s see if this has inspired him!
The most dissapointing is USA U19s Klan who had a great high school and club career.
Strang I haven’t seen a lot of.
Porter seems to be the front runner.
Katchadurian comes in highly touted from John Jay.
All of the above could make a push but form in high school and reputation has made little difference to the SU Coaches and comes down to if the player can adapt to Donahues coaching and expectations. Whoever can pencil, trail and step across the crease correctly will win the job.

Lots of expectation for the 2019 Orange adding some blue chips to a young talented team who certainly entertained last year! A solid def returning Kennedy, Mellen, Bomberry, Dipietro, Fernandez, Fusco, Helmer, Murphy and Cunningham.

The major factor is can we find some solid SSDMs, we have been spoilt in this position in past years but we need some guys to step up, I hate when we play close def or LSMs with shortys (although it is the correct coaching decision) I just think it shows that we are not recruiting correctly. With this years rule changes will it transpire that this is less important. I hope Dami steps up as he had an up and down first season but would love to see him succeed. I’d also keep Dearth at this position.

I am Kind of excited to see twins back on campus although I don’t think the Kims or anyone else can emulate the Gaits.

Cook can really compete for the 3rd attack spot and I think he’ll be a player that Desko talks about come the fall press conference. But don’t sleep on Seebold, Hill, Beckman or Aburn.

I’m not going to hype Mangan or Fiorini but they are a great size and can shoot but I’d still like to see Quinn break through and we have some depth at the midfield position.

Fresh blood at the faceoff X with Thornton and Washington should push Varello.

The general midfield size has improved with our freshman and we have really got a lot of attackman battling for 4 spots! As usual expect some Freshman to RS which again if I am being hyper critical the coaching staff have to be confident in their recruits and only recruit for open spots! It’s a bit of a mess. I think we ran too many players last year with a large roster but we need to let the horses run and the likes of Trimboli, Dordevic and Curry should be running the show for the majority of the game, if we don’t this may effect recruiting down the road.

Last edited:
51 possible players returning plus 15 newbies.

Too many.

We'll have to wait for a roster update to see who's still here.

Lots of expectation for the 2019 Orange adding some blue chips to a young talented team who certainly entertained last year! A solid def returning Kennedy, Mellen, Bomberry, Dipietro, Fernandez, Fusco, Helmer, Murphy and Cunningham.

The major factor is can we find some solid SSDMs, we have been spoilt in this position in past years but we need some guys to step up, I hate when we play close def or LSMs with shortys (although it is the correct coaching decision) I just think it shows that we are not recruiting correctly. With this years rule changes will it transpire that this is less important. I hope Dami steps up as he had an up and down first season but would love to see him succeed. I’d also keep Dearth at this position.

I am Kind of excited to see twins back on campus although I don’t think the Kims or anyone else can emulate the Gaits.

Cook can really compete for the 3rd attack spot and I think he’ll be a player that Desko talks about come the fall press conference. But don’t sleep on Seebold, Hill, Beckman or Aburn.

I’m not going to hype Mangan or Fiorini but they are a great size and can shoot but I’d still like to see Quinn break through and we have some depth at the midfield position.

Fresh blood at the faceoff X with Thornton and Washington should push Varello.

The general midfield size has improved with our freshman and we have really got a lot of attackman battling for 4 spots! As usual expect some Freshman to RS which again if I am being hyper critical the coaching staff have to be confident in their recruits and only recruit for open spots! It’s a bit of a mess. I think we ran too many players last year with a large roster but we need to let the horses run and the likes of Trimboli, Dordevic and Curry should be running the show for the majority of the game, if we don’t this may effect recruiting down the road.
I'm not sure why you're mentioning Owen Hill as a possible attackman. He scored 15 goals for the Hill Academy as a senior, and I thought he was a midfielder. And I will go ahead and sleep on Aburn. We hardly saw his name mentioned for any Boys Latin game and we hear a lot from Boys Latin. If he sees any time it is probably in an off-ball role, because we don't have much in that department now and that seems to be his natural role.

Washington isn't at Syracuse. I think I heard Marquette from somewhere.

"Pretty embarrassing we haven’t been there in years." Desko has us back recruiting top notch defensemen the last couple years. Desko has gone all the way to Oregon to pick up the best of the best. Get ready for great success in the near future. We Are The Orangemen.
Desko doesn't recruit the D, Rogers does and frankly, he does a majority of the recruiting. Most kids dont interact with Desko till they have a visit on the hill.

Hopefully the staff realizes that with the rule change, Dearth will serve this team in the d middie role he took on in the last half of the season. He has good size to match up with opposing middies and the offensive skill set to run the break and finish. Im not sold on Dami as the second SSDM, hopefully he's been working on footwork and positioning.

Will be an interesting development at close D with the addition of Staats and all 3 starters returning. I know the board doesn't like Cunningham as the 3rd pole, could this be the year we see a change? Key will be the communication between poles and goalie.

I like Cunningham, but there are a lot of other talented poles.

Cunningham is without a doubt worthy of being one of the starters. Last year I almost never saw him get beat strait up off the dodge, he is disciplined when it comes to penalties, and appears to not make many crucial mistakes when it comes to sliding. If anyone should be on the chopping block I would say its Bomberry with his unacceptable amount of penalties and lack of speed, but his experience with the D system probably makes him worthy of starting despite his problem areas. In the end I think we should make no changes to the starting D because their experience as a unit is too valuable. The real questions are what will we do with all these talented and experienced LSMs and how do we fix our completely TRASH short stick D? Fusco, Helmer, Kennedy, Fernandez, and now Staats, are all legit. Helmer already plays short stick. Should one more try it out as well?

If Fernandez is healthy, he and Fusco and Kennedy can play LSM, but 3 LSMs seems excessive. Maybe one moves to close D if a team has a particularly good 2nd dodging threat.

Does anybody know if Fernandez qualified for a medical redshirt after his injury last season?

I read that Logan Dieball specialized at D middle on various All Star teams post HS...6'5" 190 lbs
Washington is a FOGO at Marquette
Walthour did not enroll at SU

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom