2018 Fine Mess Tailgate recap

Consigliere

All Conference
What a year! The only thing that can hold a candle to what went on inside the Dome is what went on outside! I am a relative newcomer to the Fine Mess Crew. I attended the annual board tailgate for several years but have only been with the weekly crew for about 5 seasons. The growth in both the size and quality of production that the group exhibits has been remarkable. In fact John Wildhack has introduced me more than once as a "member of the biggest and best tailgating group we have." I think the passion of the group culminated in the last two games with likely the two worst weather days we have seen in the last decade but still topped 100 participants at each. The 'tent city' that was constructed kept revelers warm and dry and added to the atmosphere.

We also had record participation in our 50 - 50 this year. Between the 6 home games and 2 roadies where TexanMark ran the drawing we took in a total of $3565. After paying out almost $1800 in prizes we enhanced our tailgate experience with some much needed equipment upgrades. In previous years the 50 - 50 funded our monster party grill, several canopies and propane heaters, our TV "media" room, professional grade chafing dishes and other sundry amenities. This year we funded our official "Fine Mess Tailgate can koozies, a second CaterAide Hot Box that enables our chefs to transport some truly gourmet dishes piping hot, our Tervis tumbler consolation prizes and our newest addition - 8 bar height cocktail tables complete with orange spandex covers. In addition our charitable contribution both in ticket purchases for "Cuse for the Troops" we funded a $600 contribution to the Tenth Mountain Division Association and $250 to the ABC Basset Hound Rescue of New York group.

If you haven't yet joined us, put it on your to do list for next year today! Thanks to all my brothers and sisters in Orange for a GREAT year. Can't wait for 2019.

Chris02M

All American
thank you to all the people who make it happen with great food or setup each week ,good weather or not, or all the fans that make it such a great event each and every week for a great year of tailgates.This was my first year i have been able to attend each and every home tailgate and it obviously wont be the last.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
What a year! The only thing that can hold a candle to what went on inside the Dome is what went on outside! I am a relative newcomer to the Fine Mess Crew. I attended the annual board tailgate for several years but have only been with the weekly crew for about 5 seasons. The growth in both the size and quality of production that the group exhibits has been remarkable. In fact John Wildhack has introduced me more than once as a "member of the biggest and best tailgating group we have." I think the passion of the group culminated in the last two games with likely the two worst weather days we have seen in the last decade but still topped 100 participants at each. The 'tent city' that was constructed kept revelers warm and dry and added to the atmosphere.

We also had record participation in our 50 - 50 this year. Between the 6 home games and 2 roadies where TexanMark ran the drawing we took in a total of $3565. After paying out almost $1800 in prizes we enhanced our tailgate experience with some much needed equipment upgrades. In previous years the 50 - 50 funded our monster party grill, several canopies and propane heaters, our TV "media" room, professional grade chafing dishes and other sundry amenities. This year we funded our official "Fine Mess Tailgate can koozies, a second CaterAide Hot Box that enables our chefs to transport some truly gourmet dishes piping hot, our Tervis tumbler consolation prizes and our newest addition - 8 bar height cocktail tables complete with orange spandex covers. In addition our charitable contribution both in ticket purchases for "Cuse for the Troops" we funded a $600 contribution to the Tenth Mountain Division Association and $250 to the ABC Basset Hound Rescue of New York group.

If you haven't yet joined us, put it on your to do list for next year today! Thanks to all my brothers and sisters in Orange for a GREAT year. Can't wait for 2019.
Great recap Mark. Can’t imagine what the crowd would have been like if he had had decent weather those last two games.

Consigliere

All Conference
One other philanthropic note: When we started to build our inventory of cocktail tables, I talked with Fine Mess participant Dan who has taken ownership of four of them for use in his school with some developmentally challenged children. He notes that the standing position keeps the kids much more engaged and there has been a notable difference in their involvement.
View attachment 144090

Last edited:

OttoMets

Living Legend
Thanks again for doing this, guys. Sorry we weren't there for tear-down, some of our group (me included) didn't dress for the weather and wanted to get into the building fast.

rrlbees

2017 ESPN Tourney Challenge Winner
Staff member
One other philanthropic note: When we started to build our inventory of cocktail tables, I talked with Fine Mess participant Dan who has taken ownership of four of them for use in his school with some developmentally challenged children. He notes that the standing position keeps the kids much more engaged and there has been a notable difference in their involvement.
View attachment 144090 View attachment 144090
Did you mean to use the same pic twice?

Nice meeting you Friday! Looking forward to attending more in the future!

Mike ( from painted post)

Top Bottom