2018 LLWS | Syracusefan.com

2018 LLWS

ScrabbCuse

Starter
Perfect game, perfect team: Mid-Island's pursuit of excellence

My nephew plays for Mid-Island Little League(he’s only 9 so not up to this level yet), so I have a rooting interest. This 12 year old pitcher Greg Bruno can throw up to 75mph. I’m 35 and lucky if I can throw 50. I’ll be cheering these kids from Staten Island on as they represent New York and the Mid-Atlantic.

I coached two different teams in LL in NJ about 10-12 years ago and we would play Mid-Island in travel ball. They always had good teams.

Interesting thing this year in NJ, This year's NJ rep (Middletown LL) got to the Mid-Atlantic regional in part though a forfeit. Two Rivers Little League (Red Bank, Little Silver area) had a very strong team and had rolled through their district and was set to play Middletown LL in the district final where they needed just one win to win their district, having already beaten Middletown.

Two Rivers told league officials that if they won the district they would not be able to field a team in the sectionals because they were planning to attend a travel tournament in Cooperstown, NY during the next week. So they forfeited to Middletown who advanced out of the district, went on to win the sectionals and the NJ state tournament and then went on to lose to Mid-Island in the winner's bracket finals of the regional 5-2.

Middletown ended up playing on ESPN a couple of times in the regional while Two Rivers ended up playing East Nowheresville up in Cooperstown in front of friends and family. I would imagine there was a fair amount of regret on the part of Two Rivers.

I coached two different teams in LL in NJ about 10-12 years ago and we would play Mid-Island in travel ball. They always had good teams.

Interesting thing this year in NJ, This year's NJ rep (Middletown LL) got to the Mid-Atlantic regional in part though a forfeit. Two Rivers Little League (Red Bank, Little Silver area) had a very strong team and had rolled through their district and was set to play Middletown LL in the district final where they needed just one win to win their district, having already beaten Middletown.

Two Rivers told league officials that if they won the district they would not be able to field a team in the sectionals because they were planning to attend a travel tournament in Cooperstown, NY during the next week. So they forfeited to Middletown who advanced out of the district, went on to win the sectionals and the NJ state tournament and then went on to lose to Mid-Island in the winner's bracket finals of the regional 5-2.

Middletown ended up playing on ESPN a couple of times in the regional while Two Rivers ended up playing East Nowheresville up in Cooperstown in front of friends and family. I would imagine there was a fair amount of regret on the part of Two Rivers.
Parents can’t have their cake and eat it too.

As a board member of my local ‘youth’ league, we are not part of the Littlle League system so we can play travel.

My understanding was you had to make a choice.

That said, I suppose if your town had enough $$$ and shutzpa, u could game the system and do both.

We made a choice and it was no LL so the kids could play more.

Which I guess is the bigs problem with Tommy John, but we figure no ones making the Yankees so let em play often.

Some parents...different story...trying to explain that #2 won’t be unretired, can get annoying.

Parents can’t have their cake and eat it too.

As a board member of my local ‘youth’ league, we are not part of the Littlle League system so we can play travel.

My understanding was you had to make a choice.

That said, I suppose if your town had enough $$$ and shutzpa, u could game the system and do both.

We made a choice and it was no LL so the kids could play more.

Which I guess is the bigs problem with Tommy John, but we figure no ones making the Yankees so let em play often.

Some parents...different story...trying to explain that #2 won’t be unretired, can get annoying.

The teams I coached would play LL from Monday to Saturday and then play travel on Sundays with what was essentially our all star team with the idea of getting them ready for the LL tournament that began late June and ultimately led to a state title for 10 and 11 YOs and Williamsport for 12 YOs. But yeah that Two Rivers team should have figured it out beforehand and not even entered the LL tournament.

I enjoyed coaching LL, lot of fun. Got more challenging when we moved up to Babe Ruth cuz then some of the kids stop listening and attitude comes more into play. Most parents were cool but there were exceptions and they could drive u nuts.

Last edited:
Is Big Al in the actual LL world series or did his team not make it?

My neighbors son was on the South Burlington team that represented VT in the regionals. Unfortunately, they got blanked in two games so no continuation for them. Was really looking forward to seeing them move on, but this was not their year.

Is Big Al in the actual LL world series or did his team not make it?

They lost in the regionals. Big Al is done.

Big Al didn’t hit any dingers.
They lost in the regionals. Big Al is done.

That sucks. I love those kids. There was always 1 on each squad when I was a kid, I remember my 12 year old all star team like it was yesterday. Lots of fun.

Bees probably coached a team we took to the woodshed. Seneca River South!

That sucks. I love those kids. There was always 1 on each squad when I was a kid, I remember my 12 year old all star team like it was yesterday. Lots of fun.

Bees probably coached a team we took to the woodshed. Seneca River South!

Lol. Doubtful.

Lol. Doubtful.

Very doubtful. :) Although we had some quality athletes but I do believe your buddy from the Valley knocked us out

Bayberry mafia Bees, always a quality game in those neck of the woods ready to take on the boys from the North and Salt City and drub the Village at old Luke Laporta with the short porch.

Good times

Last edited: