Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 67 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

How do you know how good Hughes or Washington are?

Everybody is raving about Hughes in practices, and he looks very athletic. But can he shoot? He didn't do that so well at his prior school.

I think Washington is going to be a good player for us. We could use a guy who is an actual point guard who can hit an open three. He doesn't have to be a dunking machine, and he doesn't have to be a slasher who can get to the rim at will, so long as we DO have a guy or two like that at the 2G or SF spot. I think he will be able to do that.

Everybody is raving about Hughes in practices, and he looks very athletic. But can he shoot? He didn't do that so well at his prior school.

I think Washington is going to be a good player for us. We could use a guy who is an actual point guard who can hit an open three. He doesn't have to be a dunking machine, and he doesn't have to be a slasher who can get to the rim at will, so long as we DO have a guy or two like that at the 2G or SF spot. I think he will be able to do that.

Washington will be the perfect change of pace guy. Kind of guy who can come in and settle the team down when we are out of sorts and get us into our (crappy ;)) offense.

Let's not write off Frank just yet. We always talk about the Sophomore jump. For players that miss time in high school due to serious injuries, their freshman year is basically they senior year in HS, their sophomore year is basically their first year in college, and junior year is when they turn the corner. FH showed flashes last year against weak competition. He still needs to get used to the speed and power of the ACC, hopefully this is the time he puts it all together and makes the leap.
Now or never!

Some say Dion, some are saying Scoop... I'd say Carey is more reminiscent of Jason Hart.

Some say Dion, some are saying Scoop... I'd say Carey is more reminiscent of Jason Hart.

I think he is WAY more explosive with the ball / scoring off the bounce than Hart. Carey seems to thrive attacking the rim, and making plays off of the dribble. Hart was an athletic thoroughbred but didn't have a great handle [especially early in his career], and wasn't a guy who was particularly dynamic with the ball.

Can't say the same about Carey.

And I love Hart -- one of my all time favorites. Loved him, loved his game. He is an all time program great, and a tremendous class act. But Carey is a guy who has a lot more offensive potential. He reminds me of a lankier, taller, Flynn-type guard.

Washington will be the perfect change of pace guy. Kind of guy who can come in and settle the team down when we are out of sorts and get us into our (crappy ;)) offense.
Like Z Sims as a junior?

I think he is WAY more explosive with the ball / scoring off the bounce than Hart. Carey seems to thrive attacking the rim, and making plays off of the dribble. Hart was an athletic thoroughbred but didn't have a great handle [especially early in his career], and wasn't a guy who was particularly dynamic with the ball.

And I love Hart -- one of my all time favorites. Loved him, loved his game. He is an all time program great, and a tremendous class act. But Carey is a guy who has a lot more offensive potential. He reminds me of a lankier, taller, Flynn-type guard.

I was going to say a more polished Hart, but left that part out.

This recruiting class actualy reminds me of Hart's as well and could end up being the class Hart's was supposed to be. A top PG, a skilled burger boy forward, a shooter and a somewhat under the radar bigman. Now hopefully we do land Roberts and he can play bigger than his ranking like Thomas did

I was going to say a more polished Hart, but left that part out.

This recruiting class actualy reminds me of Hart's as well and could end up being the class Hart's was supposed to be. A top PG, a skilled burger boy forward, a shooter and a somewhat under the radar bigman. Now hopefully we do land Roberts and he can play bigger than his ranking like Thomas did

That was a terrific class.

Hart, a highly rated Rock Lloyd who was a big time shooting guard, Etan, Ryan Blackwell as a transfer, and Lesean.

Three of those guys really panned out. Lloyd transferred, when he probably would have started sophomore year [oh well]. Lesean busted essentially.

That was a terrific class.

Hart, a highly rated Rock Lloyd who was a big time shooting guard, Etan, Ryan Blackwell as a transfer, and Lesean.

Three of those guys really panned out. Lloyd transferred, when he probably would have started sophomore year [oh well]. Lesean busted essentially.

And Baz is going to hopefully make me forget Winfred Walton ever existed :p

100% correct, my bad. I'd repressed that memory...

I thought they would of won a chip if Walton could have made it on to the court.

I think Baz and Carey can and will lead us to a title. Both will stay for a second year and that is when it happens. Then they both bounce for the league.

I thought they would of won a chip if Walton could have made it on to the court.

I think Baz and Carey can and will lead us to a title. Both will stay for a second year and that is when it happens. Then they both bounce for the league.

Walton was terrific. That McD's all american game he had was impressive as hell. What a missed opportunity.

That entire SAT situation was shady as hell, too bad. He would have been a nice replacement for Wallace, and had the tools to be an all time program great. Instead, he's an unfortunate footnote.

Carey reminds me of Delon Wright from Utah a few years back.

It's been so long, I had to google Winfred Walton. There's a few good short articles that probably shouldn't be linked here.

Carey reminds me of Delon Wright from Utah a few years back.

That's an interesting comparison. Had to look him up as I wasn't familiar. Overall, seems to play at a pace one click faster, gets deeper into the lane on his drives, and with more of a passing vision that our man Carey--at least based on highlights. I definitely see what you're saying though, similar style of play.

I love Carey and think he's the perfect guy for us, but I'm not sure he's quite at the same level as some of the comps I'm seeing thrown around here. He's aggressive and plays with some speed, but in my mind is a notch below players like Dion and Flynn in those categories, and also in the 'plays above the rim' category, as both those former guys could throw down with a little less runway. What I see out of Carey is a guy with a really good handle, can penetrate with ease, good mid-range game, good finishing at the rim, and seems to even hit the outside shot at a decent rate, though I haven't looked at any stats to back that up. Seems to pass pretty well, though not with a ton of creativity. Overall, very very solid, and also very athletic, but not necessarily explosive on the level of Dion fast-break spinning around a defender and dunking in the lane, or that time Jonny Flynn absolutely deflowered Mike Rosario. Again, very excited about him and think he's the perfect get, but hope we're not overhyping him.

That's an interesting comparison. Had to look him up as I wasn't familiar. Overall, seems to play at a pace one click faster, gets deeper into the lane on his drives, and with more of a passing vision that our man Carey--at least based on highlights. I definitely see what you're saying though, similar style of play.

I love Carey and think he's the perfect guy for us, but I'm not sure he's quite at the same level as some of the comps I'm seeing thrown around here. He's aggressive and plays with some speed, but in my mind is a notch below players like Dion and Flynn in those categories, and also in the 'plays above the rim' category, as both those former guys could throw down with a little less runway. What I see out of Carey is a guy with a really good handle, can penetrate with ease, good mid-range game, good finishing at the rim, and seems to even hit the outside shot at a decent rate, though I haven't looked at any stats to back that up. Seems to pass pretty well, though not with a ton of creativity. Overall, very very solid, and also very athletic, but not necessarily explosive on the level of Dion fast-break spinning around a defender and dunking in the lane, or that time Jonny Flynn absolutely deflowered Mike Rosario. Again, very excited about him and think he's the perfect get, but hope we're not overhyping him.
He is a top 25 to 50 recruit out of thousands of HS players. He deserves the hype. Kid can ball big time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom