Class of 2018 - PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 68 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PG Jalen Carey (NY/NJ) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

He is a top 25 to 50 recruit out of thousands of HS players. He deserves the hype. Kid can ball big time.

Not sure his ranking is currently quite that high, but that's not really the point and I absolutely agree with you: the kid can ball, BIG TIME. It's just that when he starts getting compared to some of the better guards we've *ever* had, that's when I start to question whether the expectations are being set too high. No offense to him or to anyone that feels differently, just my opinion.

Depth is important, but aside from Carey who would we say is ACC starting material? Our best teams had a SG that can create off the dribble and disrupt on defense. Hughes is the X-factor because the others seem like solid backups.
Bazley and sophomore year Brissett will be able to create off the dribble.

Our best teams had a SG that can create off the dribble and disrupt on defense.

This is a sentence that seems like it should be true but is really not close to being accurate.

The 87 team started Greg Monroe at the 2. He was a perfectly adeqaute player on both ends but far from a standout creator.

96 was Jason Cippola, who was an above average defender (and a great shooter) but wasn't asked to create.

03 was either Gerry or Kueth, depending on how you look at it. Gerry could create but not defend and Duany was the opposite.

09-10 was rautins who was an incredible defender in the zone and a unique offensive player but not someone who really created off the dribble a lot.

12 was either triche or waiters, who both hit both your qualifiers. So that's one year.

Well, I guess JB and the gang can still recruit after all. Looking forward to this season, and REALLY looking forward to next year.

This is a sentence that seems like it should be true but is really not close to being accurate.

The 87 team started Greg Monroe at the 2. He was a perfectly adeqaute player on both ends but far from a standout creator.

96 was Jason Cippola, who was an above average defender (and a great shooter) but wasn't asked to create.

03 was either Gerry or Kueth, depending on how you look at it. Gerry could create but not defend and Duany was the opposite.

09-10 was rautins who was an incredible defender in the zone and a unique offensive player but not someone who really created off the dribble a lot.

12 was either triche or waiters, who both hit both your qualifiers. So that's one year.
Good post, and in retrospect you’re absolutely right. I’d add Devo to that list of 2G’s who could create, although he was a better finisher more than anything else, and he had Jonny to set him up.

Bazley and sophomore year Brissett will be able to create off the dribble.

giphy.gif

No one was better at threading the needle with a pass than Rautins.

To say that Greg Monroe was not a play maker is part and parcel of the fact that he is perhaps our most unappreciated player. He was a career 44% from three point and his career A/T was 4:1. What do you want from the guy?

Last edited:
This kid reminds me so much of Tyus Battle and how his dad helped him get where he is today. It's a shame that they probably will never be able to play together at SU.

Long time, no see, Walt!

Looking at your list, I kind of disagree. While the original post did say "a 2G who can penetrate and disrupt", I think the point is that we need to have someone who can do that, to get defenses to collapse to open space for three point shooters.

So you're kind of right, but on the '87 Sherm, the PG, could obviously drive and disrupt, as could Stevie Thompson.

On the '96 team, we were definitely deficient in that department, and could only point to Todd Burgan as a guy who could drive from the wing against a defense.

In 2003, somehow you left out Billy Edelin, but again, you're right, the OP said "2G who can drive", not other positions. On the '10 team, I think that was young Scoop.
So yeah, the OP may have got it wrong that the driving has to come from a particular position, but we often have that capability if we are going to be a good team. It has to come from somewhere.

Long time, no see, Walt!

Looking at your list, I kind of disagree. While the original post did say "a 2G who can penetrate and disrupt", I think the point is that we need to have someone who can do that, to get defenses to collapse to open space for three point shooters.

So you're kind of right, but on the '87 Sherm, the PG, could obviously drive and disrupt, as could Stevie Thompson.

On the '96 team, we were definitely deficient in that department, and could only point to Todd Burgan as a guy who could drive from the wing against a defense.

In 2003, somehow you left out Billy Edelin, but again, you're right, the OP said "2G who can drive", not other positions. On the '10 team, I think that was young Scoop.
So yeah, the OP may have got it wrong that the driving has to come from a particular position, but we often have that capability if we are going to be a good team. It has to come from somewhere.

Sure, I agree with all of that, and definitely agree that good Syracuse teams (good anyone teams) need players who can break down the defense. Even the '96 team had Z, who while not particularly a threat to score did a great job of disrupting the defense, and Wallace who could initiate from almost anywhere on the court.

What I was taking issue with was a narrow point (we need a 2G who can do all of these things) that I think was meant to serve a broader point (next year's team won't be very good). I think both points are wrong. The first isn't particularly important, but is a kind of interesting historical digression. (And, finally, note that the original poster said not only that the 2 had to create but that he had to be a disruptive defender, something that certainly excludes Edelin and probably 2010 Scoop.)

In the JB era, the 2 has probably been the historically weakest position. The only really transcendent player who played primarily the 2 was Waiters, and he of course didn't even start. (Unless you view Moten as a 2, although he didn't make his name by his ballhandling.) Even when the 2 was the glamour position in basketball during the MJ/Kobe era, Syracuse ran a lot more offense through their forwards and point guard, with the 2 in a support role. Stevie Thompson was a bit of an exception, although he wasn't a traditional 2 guard. Deshaun Williams had a major role on the '02 team but I'm confident no one looks back with nostalgia at that team. Obviously GMac did a little of everything, but the overwhelming majority of his minutes were at the point. I'm a big Triche fan, but he too played at least as much 1 as 2. I think people normally think the center has been the weakest position, but Cuse has had some good ones, and had some years when the center was the primary option (definitely '97, arguably Etan's senior year, even 2010 we ran a lot through Arinze and Rick).

I think the pieces next year are going to be very good, and the absence of a superlative 2 doesn't change that. (Though in fact I think there's a good chance Carey ends up playing a lot of minutes at the 2.) Both Carey and Bazely will be able to drive and, as you point out, what position that comes from doesn't particularly matter. I feel confident at least one of the three '17 freshman forwards will also develop enough that they can contribute, and that we'll get something from one of the Howards. That's a very good team, and a good reason to be excited.

No one was better at threading the needle with a pass than Rautins.

To say that Greg Monroe was not a play maker is part and parcel of the fact that he is perhaps our most unappreciated player. He was a career 44% from three point and his career A/T was 4:1. What do you want from the guy?
He missed the three in a fast break that would have blown out IU in 87. Instead of 14 point lead, IU comes down and cuts it to 8, as I recall. I still loved the shot.

He missed the three in a fast break that would have blown out IU in 87. Instead of 14 point lead, IU comes down and cuts it to 8, as I recall. I still loved the shot.
If the shot had drawn iron, there probably would not have been a run out the other way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom