2018 Under Armour All-America Games June 28-July 1 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Under Armour All-America Games June 28-July 1

Magnan, Cook, Fiorini and Berkman are the SU commits who may get selected. I'll predict 2 will be selected.

Magnan, Cook, Fiorini and Berkman are the SU commits who may get selected. I'll predict 2 will be selected.

I am expecting at least 3 of those guys to get selected. Cook is a stone cold lock and Fiorini isn't far behind.

I am expecting at least 3 of those guys to get selected. Cook is a stone cold lock and Fiorini isn't far behind.
I'm pretty sure the guys are selected by IL and Ty Xanders, who is now back at IL, so we have to look at their top 100 lists. Before Recruiting Rundown existed the UAAA All American game teams were IL's top 44 players in their upcoming fall recruiting issue, give or take a couple players based on position (a lot of attackmen make the top 44, but they can't all play in the UAAA game).

Magnan and Cook are #24 and 25 on Recruiting Rundown and Fiorini is #51. On the IL list, Magnan is #18, Berkman is #52 and Cook is #75. IL would have to do a major reappraisal of Cook, which is possible now that Xanders is there, for Cook to be selected for the UAAA game.

While Magnan has fallen from an originally lofting ranking, he's still the highest ranked SU recruit as of right now.

Any one else think it's silly to have Miezan in this game ? I don't doubt he deserves it but the fact of the matter is he is going to Stanford to play football. It's seems like a disservice to the fans who want to see the next generation of college lacrosse stars play. also takes a spot away from a kid who could work on his game at this event.

Any one else think it's silly to have Miezan in this game ? I don't doubt he deserves it but the fact of the matter is he is going to Stanford to play football. It's seems like a disservice to the fans who want to see the next generation of college lacrosse stars play. also takes a spot away from a kid who could work on his game at this event.
I don't. It's an all star game. I gave up on using this game as a chance to scout players a long time ago. Trimboli looked awful in the UAAA game.

Also, I wouldn't at all be surprised if ESPN and the broadcasters used Miezan's story A LOT during the broadcast, for example, "This is our last chance to see this hugely talented athlete play lacrosse. This is like watching Jim Brown play in the North South All Star Game."

I don't know that "silly" is the word I would use. More like "why bother".
How many of us are really going to care about him if he is playing football out at Stanford. Show me another kid who will be playing lacrosse next year.

I don't. It's an all star game. I gave up on using this game as a chance to scout players a long time ago. Trimboli looked awful in the UAAA game.

Also, I wouldn't at all be surprised if ESPN and the broadcasters used Miezan's story A LOT during the broadcast, for example, "This is our last chance to see this hugely talented athlete play lacrosse. This is like watching Jim Brown play in the North South All Star Game."
At some point lacrosse needs to break away from the football stories though don't we? How many times do we have to hear the tewaaraton called the Heisman of collage lacrosse. I just don't see the McDonald's or under arour football game having a kid committed to play another sport in their games. I remember watching Matt Rambo dominate the game and then college lacrosse. As a fan of the sport I just wish we could see only lacrosse commits when there is a limited amount of spots.

This means Cook will be in IL's top 44 in the fall when their rankings come out. It's funny that there is an Attack/Midfield category and Cook, who has been playing some midfield this year if I remember correctly, is not in that category. Lesson #1, ignore Inside Lacrosse's attempts to categorize players. In their 2011 Recruiting Issue they had a feature about "X" attackmen (the quarterback types that play behind the goal) and included Tom Grimm as SU's representative from their recruiting class that year, even though Grimm had been playing midfield and mostly D middie in some all star games. The player from SU they missed, in the same recruiting class, Kevin Rice, was SU's best X attackmen since Mike Powell.

To my point about Desko's recruiting: Both waves added together -
JH 2
NC 4
ND 3
MD 2
UVA 3
Duke 2
SU 1
Often a class deep with talented offensive players, like the current group of SU freshmen, will be followed by a class with fewer offensive stars, like the current HS seniors committed to SU.

To my point about Desko's recruiting: Both waves added together -
JH 2
NC 4
ND 3
MD 2
UVA 3
Duke 2
SU 1

I suspect you will see Mangnan and Berkman and or Fiorini in the next grouping. Recruiting has been a huge issue the last few years but this current class and the class coming in this fall are very good, two top 5 classes stocked with O talent. 2019 class takes a step back but has Levandowski who is a top 5 recruit.

This means Cook will be in IL's top 44 in the fall when their rankings come out. It's funny that there is an Attack/Midfield category and Cook, who has been playing some midfield this year if I remember correctly, is not in that category. Lesson #1, ignore Inside Lacrosse's attempts to categorize players. In their 2011 Recruiting Issue they had a feature about "X" attackmen (the quarterback types that play behind the goal) and included Tom Grimm as SU's representative from their recruiting class that year, even though Grimm had been playing midfield and mostly D middie in some all star games. The player from SU they missed, in the same recruiting class, Kevin Rice, was SU's best X attackmen since Mike Powell.

Like I said Cook was a lock! ;)

Often a class deep with talented offensive players, like the current group of SU freshmen, will be followed by a class with fewer offensive stars, like the current HS seniors committed to SU.

That class is 2019, the 2018 class has just as much offensive firepower - Cook, Magnan, Berkman, Aburn, Owen Hill, Tanner Wood, Fiorini, and hopefully Austin Staats. Not to mention project guys like the Kim Twins.

2019 is where the class takes a step back as only Levandowski and Rosa are top end offensive guys although Sean Donnelly and Swensen are intriguing prospects.

That class is 2019, the 2018 class has just as much offensive firepower - Cook, Magnan, Berkman, Aburn, Owen Hill, Tanner Wood, Fiorini, and hopefully Austin Staats. Not to mention project guys like the Kim Twins.

2019 is where the class takes a step back as only Levandowski and Rosa are top end offensive guys although Sean Donnelly and Swensen are intriguing prospects.
I think it'll turn out that you're over-estimating the offensive firepower of the current HS senior class committed to SU. Aburn plays for Boys Latin and we hear almost nothing about him. Owen Hill plays for Hill and we hear almost nothing about him. After having watched some of the Staples HS games, my conclusion was that Tanner Wood is not that good. I think he's a product of some hit or miss early recruiting. Magnan has dropped down in the rankings because he hasn't been that productive. I like Cook, Berkman and Fiorini. The Kim's could develop and be good.

The HS class of 2019 also has Zawada who plays for Hill and we have heard that he contributes a lot there.

I think it'll turn out that you're over-estimating the offensive firepower of the current HS senior class committed to SU. Aburn plays for Boys Latin and we hear almost nothing about him. Owen Hill plays for Hill and we hear almost nothing about him. After having watched some of the Staples HS games, my conclusion was that Tanner Wood is not that good. I think he's a product of some hit or miss early recruiting. Magnan has dropped down in the rankings because he hasn't been that productive. I like Cook, Berkman and Fiorini. The Kim's could develop and be good.

The HS class of 2019 also has Zawada who plays for Hill and we have heard that he contributes a lot there.

You could be right but Cook, Berkman, and Fiorini all have star potential plus there are several recruits who could play a role after a red-shirt year or two like a Aburn or a Hill or a Wood. If Staats ultimately comes in that gives you a really potent class from an offensive standpoint. This past years class I remain sky high on but outside of one game from Dordevic and Curry the frosh class hasn't exactly been lighting the world on fire. It may take a sometime like the 2018 class before there full impact can be felt.

I will say Magnan's drop off is concerning. He was really good as an 8th grader through his Sophmore year but took a step back this past season. He currently has 15 points on the year if my research is accurate (11 and 4). I would hope his pts are down due to increased attention but I guess we will find out.

You rarely see Albany players on these lists and they seem to manage.
On the flip side it seems like UNC, UVA, Nd & Duke are always loaded with UA All Americans and they’ve done little with it over the past few years. I know UNC won it all a few years back but they caught lightning in a bottle after a very lackluster season.

In theory you really only need 3 offensive starters per recruiting class. Here me out, on a usual teams you have 9 offensive guys that see the field maybe 10-11. And right now we are already ahead as we have 3 sophomores and 2 freshmen in our starting 6. So if you look at Cook, Berkman, and Fiorini as future starters then everything after that you consider a bonus. What we really need are defensive midfielders. Hopefully a guy like Hill or the Twins can be that for us. Attackman seem to be hard to come by for our team in the high school recruiting ranks. I don't think we have had a bonafide star since Rice. The rest of our attack talent has come via transfer. Staats is so important for our 2019 national title hopes but defensive middies may be the difference. I'm hoping Dearth can make the switch. In the short term we only need one attackman and one middy for next years team. Hopefully Staats or cook/berkman. And I wouldn't be surprised to see a 2017 middy recruit (Quinn possibly Buttermore)step in to that second line with Lipka and Carlin. Keep in mind Lipka wasn't even in Insidelacrosses top 40 incoming freshman middies in 2016. Guys don't have to be highly ranked to be good players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom