2019 acc/b1g challenge | Syracusefan.com

2019 acc/b1g challenge

moqui

generational talent
i have a sneaking suspicion that syracuse will get penn state at the dome next year

I’m thinking Northwestern or Minny. It will middle or end of the pack Big 10.

Iowa? they don't necessarily have to pick a Big 10 team who played at home in the challenge last year, but they will likely try to do that. it won't be Ohio State, we already played Wisconsin twice, we played Michigan already..

i have a sneaking suspicion that syracuse will get penn state at the dome next year
Yuck. That’s not a good TV draw. I don’t see ESPN going for that because of Syracuse’s strong TV numbers. They’ll pair us with another marquee name Purdue or Indiana or Ohio State again. I guess Iowa or Minnesota are possible if they’re going to be good teams next season .

Last edited:
I would expect Ohio State at the Dome next year.
If I had to guess.
They won’t be a top team like Syracuse and TV would like the matchup.

I’m thinking Northwestern or Minny. It will middle or end of the pack Big 10.
can't be minnesota. everyone alternates home and road every year, so it has to be a team that had a home game last year. the candidates are:

penn state
iowa
maryland
northwestern
michigan
wisconsin
ohio state

Ohio State has to be a extreme long shot since we played them last year.
We just played Maryland so I don’t think that is going to happen again so soon.
We have some history with Rutgers and Penn State but both are even worse than normal. Can’t see us paired with either of them.
Michigan is another team we have played recently. Plus they should be really good and are likely going to get matched up with a top 4 type ACC school.
Michigan State is too good to get paired with us. They will play one of the ACC teams that is ranked.
Wisconsin is another team we have played too much recently. We surely won’t get paired with them again.
We just played Iowa at MSG. I think that matchup is unlikely but possible.
Purdue is probably too good to get paired with us but we haven’t played them in a long time. That could happen.
Indiana is similar level program that we haven’t played for a while. They seem very possible.
I would think Nebraska and Minnesota are too bad to get paired with us. But this could happen.
Northwestern is a real possibility. We haven’t played for a long time and have a lot in common.

Looking at the B1G schools due to play on the road, we have Ohio State, Penn State, Northwestern, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan and Maryland. My money is on Northwestern, with Penn State and Iowa also very possible.

can't be minnesota. everyone alternates home and road every year, so it has to be a team that had a home game last year. the candidates are:

penn state
iowa
maryland
northwestern
michigan
wisconsin
ohio state

It can’t be Penn State either.

th.gif
Office cat agrees.

With all of this "intelligence"; at least it won't be a mystery until they make the announcement.

Just a few observations. 1. My understanding of the rule is no team has to play on the road in two consecutive years, so a team that played away last year can be away this year. It has happened to Virginia in the past. 2. Since, theoretically, the matchups are based on the preseason predicted order of finish (and I am unsure who might be doing the predicting), and as there are seldom radical changes in the pecking order of either conference, it is not that uncommon to see the same opponent in consecutive years. There was a time a decade back when the UVa- Minnesota matchup was practically assumed. Lately, it seems to be Wisconsin more often than not.

I’d love to get Iowa just for the fact I don’t remember playing them and Fran McCaffery is a complete madman.

Edit: Duh we played Iowa 5 years ago at MSG and won by 3. Not sure how I forgot.

Just a few observations. 1. My understanding of the rule is no team has to play on the road in two consecutive years, so a team that played away last year can be away this year. It has happened to Virginia in the past. 2. Since, theoretically, the matchups are based on the preseason predicted order of finish (and I am unsure who might be doing the predicting), and as there are seldom radical changes in the pecking order of either conference, it is not that uncommon to see the same opponent in consecutive years. There was a time a decade back when the UVa- Minnesota matchup was practically assumed. Lately, it seems to be Wisconsin more often than not.

The Dick Bennett invitational.

I think two straight years is a soft rule. Otherwise you would never be able to play half the teams if you were locked into a stricked every other. Some have to play two straight either home or away or you would always be drawing from a small pool.

I think two straight years is a soft rule. Otherwise you would never be able to play half the teams if you were locked into a stricked every other. Some have to play two straight either home or away or you would always be drawing from a small pool.
acc has 1 additional team which reshuffles the deck somewhat

In order:
Indiana
Purdue
Michigan St.
Michigan
Wisconsin
Ohio State

Anybody else is unacceptable. They all either suck or are boring. Or both.

Last edited:
The Dick Bennett invitational.
Plus they put the games on at times so that folks would be more likely to watch something else. IIRC, one was at the same time as the UNC game and another was opposite MNF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom