2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

Not sure if anyone got a chance to listen to this. Almost all of it is rather vague as you might expect, but he mentions that Brandon Aviles "can play both offense and defense" and has been doing well in practice. Nice to hear something positive about a true freshman that early. Only names DePietro as a definite close D replacement and says he can also play LSM.
Also mentions a name I honestly don't think I have ever heard before, Sam Schluter, who he says is a potential backup LSM. Said he is coming back this year after a year off and I now see that he is listed as 6'5 on the team v team scrimmage roster and taking Swigart's number 28. Listed as a Junior but would be nice if he is actually a redshirt sophmore, due to the upcoming graduating Junior class apocalypse.

Makes a point of mentioning Dami's return when first talking about SSDMs. Judging by his words here, and the amount of PT he got in the Denver scrimmage, Desko seems bullish on his level of talent.

Not sure if anyone got a chance to listen to this. Almost all of it is rather vague as you might expect, but he mentions that Brandon Aviles "can play both offense and defense" and has been doing well in practice. Nice to hear something positive about a true freshman that early. Only names DePietro as a definite close D replacement and says he can also play LSM.
Also mentions a name I honestly don't think I have ever heard before, Sam Schluter, who he says is a potential backup LSM. Said he is coming back this year after a year off and I now see that he is listed as 6'5 on the team v team scrimmage roster and taking Swigart's number 28. Listed as a Junior but would be nice if he is actually a redshirt sophmore, due to the upcoming graduating Junior class apocalypse.

Makes a point of mentioning Dami's return when first talking about SSDMs. Judging by his words here, and the amount of PT he got in the Denver scrimmage, Desko seems bullish on his level of talent.
Not sure about the "year off" comment. According to his bio on cuse.com, he played (sparingly) both his freshman (2018) and soph (2019) years.

1574198121964.png

Not sure about the "year off" comment. According to his bio on cuse.com, he played (sparingly) both his freshman (2018) and soph (2019) years.

View attachment 173088

That's too bad. Would be nice to have a redshirt so we can have him when kennedy graduates. Oh well. Guess he isn't 6'5 either. Oh well again. But there may be some confusion between him and Jonah Swigart who is also listed as 28? Maybe it is Swigart who played in those Hobart and Cornell games?

Schluter has been around, haven't heard a lot about him so this is good news (believe he is a Jr, no idea by what he means about a year off). Also good news on DePietro but with a few guys out in the fall I suspect this will ramp up in January when hopefully everyone is healthy. Aviles had that nice breakout Sr year so this is a great continuation of that. Think he could be a real nice middie replacement after next years mass exodus as you outlined. I know Dami was pretty thought of coming in 2 years ago but struggled a bit to adjust to D1 but you could see the talent. I know a few posters have been really high on him including IvoryTower so hopefully he breaks out this year.

That's too bad. Would be nice to have a redshirt so we can have him when kennedy graduates. Oh well. Guess he isn't 6'5 either. Oh well again. But there may be some confusion between him and Jonah Swigart who is also listed as 28? Maybe it is Swigart who played in those Hobart and Cornell games?

SU definitely has him confused as Swigart was a Senior last year and graduated so I doubt he played in the scrimmage. If I had to guess I think your assumption about who played in the games is correct.

SU definitely has him confused as Swigart was a Senior last year and graduated so I doubt he played in the scrimmage. If I had to guess I think your assumption about who played in the games is correct.

Yeah that would also explain Deskos “year off” comment. The people who put together the rosters seem to struggle with the absolute basics, so getting the info right on two guys listed with the same number is far too much to ask of them. Wonder if he or swigart is actually 6’5. I think it might be Schluter because I don’t remember swigart being tall.

Swigart hasn't played in two years. Was announced on Senior Day as graduating.

Schluter has been around, haven't heard a lot about him so this is good news (believe he is a Jr, no idea by what he means about a year off). Also good news on DePietro but with a few guys out in the fall I suspect this will ramp up in January when hopefully everyone is healthy. Aviles had that nice breakout Sr year so this is a great continuation of that. Think he could be a real nice middie replacement after next years mass exodus as you outlined. I know Dami was pretty thought of coming in 2 years ago but struggled a bit to adjust to D1 but you could see the talent. I know a few posters have been really high on him including IvoryTower so hopefully he breaks out this year.

I think he referenced mass-exodus in terms of the defense, but in terms of offense SU losses only Trimboli at midfield next year. Defensive midfield losses Dearth and Helmer but Kennedy will be back (though maybe he gets bumped down low). Can't remember a SU team having so much depth at the defensive midfield position but would like to see someone separate themselves from the pack this season. Don't sleep on Barlow he was very good last year and was out for the fall. Dami has to move his feet better.

I think he referenced mass-exodus in terms of the defense, but in terms of offense SU losses only Trimboli at midfield next year. Defensive midfield losses Dearth and Helmer but Kennedy will be back (though maybe he gets bumped down low). Can't remember a SU team having so much depth at the defensive midfield position but would like to see someone separate themselves from the pack this season. Don't sleep on Barlow he was very good last year and was out for the fall. Dami has to move his feet better.

Actually just meant the mass exodus in general in 3 years when this years juniors graduate. That could include losing both Kennedy and Fernandez, unless the roster messed up and Fernandez is in fact a redshirt sophomore.

I think he was referencing the overall Jr class which includes quite a number of players on both sides of the ball but especially on offense Curry, Buttermore Likpa (Dordevic before the injury) Quinn, Seebold, Phaup, Kennedy, Barlow, Staats, Dipetro and Murphy.

Yeah that would also explain Deskos “year off” comment. The people who put together the rosters seem to struggle with the absolute basics, so getting the info right on two guys listed with the same number is far too much to ask of them. Wonder if he or swigart is actually 6’5. I think it might be Schluter because I don’t remember swigart being tall.
Swigart is actually 6'5". Schluter is probably between 6'0-6'2". He doesn't look any bigger than the other freshman poles Clary or Page. Regardless he gives some depth should Kennedy have to bump down.

Actually just meant the mass exodus in general in 3 years when this years juniors graduate. That could include losing both Kennedy and Fernandez, unless the roster messed up and Fernandez is in fact a redshirt sophomore.

Time quickly pass . Always a sobering exercise to plot departures but barring any transfers here it is .

After this 2020 season , Mellen, Dearth, Helmer, g Porter and Klan depart on defensive side while on offense, it's Trimboli, Refhuss, Nelson and fogo Varello

Larger exodus after 2021, Kennedy, Fernandez, DiPietro, Murphy, Barlow, Staats, Shulter, g Strang on defensive side, on offensive end: Curry, Lipka, Buttermore, Quinn, Seebold, Lauder, Partamian, Fiorini and fogos Phaup and Garlow.

Time quickly pass . Always a sobering exercise to plot departures but barring any transfers here it is .

After this 2020 season , Mellen, Dearth, Helmer, g Porter and Klan depart on defensive side while on offense, it's Trimboli, Refhuss, Nelson and fogo Varello

Larger exodus after 2021, Kennedy, Fernandez, DiPietro, Murphy, Barlow, Staats, Shulter, g Strang on defensive side, on offensive end: Curry, Lipka, Buttermore, Quinn, Seebold, Lauder, Partamian, Fiorini and fogos Phaup and Garlow.

Fernandez should be back another year, he qualified for a medical RS his frosh year.

Swigart is actually 6'5". Schluter is probably between 6'0-6'2". He doesn't look any bigger than the other freshman poles Clary or Page. Regardless he gives some depth should Kennedy have to bump down.
Correct, Swigart tore all in UPenn
Fernandez should be back another year, he qualified for a medical RS his frosh year.

Be a plus but not sure about that, injured in same game as UVA Conrad who lost his appeal to NCAA which was really unfair. They should readdress that issue... List also assumes all rs srs come 2021 come back which is not a given

Correct, Swigart tore all in UPenn

Be a plus but not sure about that, injured in same game as UVA Conrad who lost his appeal to NCAA which was really unfair. They should readdress that issue... List also assumes all rs srs come 2021 come back which is not a given

Conrad lost his appeal because UVA had played two more games then SU at that point and was above the threshold for a med RS. The NCAA made the right call.

Really have to decide in January where they are going to use Helmer. I dont believe he played any ssdm in fall ball even with Barlow out. Backup at lsm or cd seems to be a waste of his talent
Conrad lost his appeal because UVA had played two more games then SU at that point and was above the threshold for a med RS. The NCAA made the right call.
Right call only based on current rules which I believe to be totally unfair to athletes who suffer season ending injuries. Threshold imo is too short, just throwing out a # but extending that distinction to 50% of regular season so you are not depriving an athlete of something not under their control .
One thing to be placed on IR for returnable injury ie muscle pull, soprained ankle , another to suffer the double whammy of experiencing a serious injury and losing a year of eligibility because you played a few minutes in a game that put you over just 30% of regular season games. As far as Fernandez, hope you are correct but I have not heard or read anything that suggests he didn't lose the year and that would be a shame. Surprised the question has not been posed to staff.

Really have to decide in January where they are going to use Helmer. I dont believe he played any ssdm in fall ball even with Barlow out. Backup at lsm or cd seems to be a waste of his talent

Right call only based on current rules which I believe to be totally unfair to athletes who suffer season ending injuries. Threshold imo is too short, just throwing out a # but extending that distinction to 50% of regular season so you are not depriving an athlete of something not under their control .
One thing to be placed on IR for returnable injury ie muscle pull, soprained ankle , another to suffer the double whammy of experiencing a serious injury and losing a year of eligibility because you played a few minutes in a game that put you over just 30% of regular season games. As far as Fernandez, hope you are correct but I have not heard or read anything that suggests he didn't lose the year and that would be a shame. Surprised the question has not been posed to staff.
Unfortunately Fernandez definitely lost that year. He only has 2 more seasons left for the Orange. We'll then we'll have a mass LSM exodus of Kennedy, Fernandez & Schluter.

Unfortunately Fernandez definitely lost that year. He only has 2 more seasons left for the Orange. We'll then we'll have a mass LSM exodus of Kennedy, Fernandez & Schluter.

That's to bad, thought he met the requirements for the med rs. Very disappointing

My apologies for the misunderstanding regarding the eligibility question. Should have read more closely. Anyway, always a fun exercise to try and predict what the lineups might look like in a year or two. Would be fascinating to look back on some of the lineups we have predicted a year or two out. So much can change - no one was thinking Chase Scanlan would be starting for SU in 2020.

I feel pretty confident about the attack after the mass exodus (Scanlan and Cook will be seniors, Hiltz a sophomore, feel pretty good about Birtstwistle and Ferris), but the midfield will be really interesting. The Orange seem to be overloaded at the position right now, but by the time Buttermore, Lipka and Curry graduate, Dordevic will probably be the only entrenched starter. Magnan, Kim twins and Fiorini look to have a lot of potential but would be seniors without having seen much action. None of the 2020's or 2021's as of now will be coming in with a lot of pedigree, but could surprise. Anyways, a long way off but I'm sort of struck with how confident I am in the attack, and how I'm a little worried about the midfield. Very curiosu to see if Levandowski, Aviles and Rosa play this year or redshirt.

A few of the incoming attackmen may find time at midfield too. The first guy that comes to mind is Ferris, mostly based on his size, but his skill set seems to be that of an attackman. His outside shot and shooting on the run isn't what we usually look for in a midfielder. He can handle the ball in tight and dodge on a pole near the goal.

Would it be totally crazy to redshirt a couple of these juniors on offense to ease the pain of losing all of them at once? Kind of like what we did with DePietro last year, redshirting him even after he got some playing time as a freshman and sophomore. Guys like Lucas Quinn and Troy Lauder come to mind. Both clearly have some offensive skills and could see the field for a few different schools as at least 2nd line middies, but they will be basically 2 of like 7 guys fighting for time as the 3rd and final middie on the 2nd middie line (behind Trimboli, Dordevic, Curry, Buttermore, and Lipka). Then as seniors they will be 2 of a bunch of guys fighting for two spots instead of one with Trimboli gone. Just seems like a waste of their talent that could certainly be needed when we have to replace Curry Buttermore and Lipka all at once.

Would it be totally crazy to redshirt a couple of these juniors on offense to ease the pain of losing all of them at once? Kind of like what we did with DePietro last year, redshirting him even after he got some playing time as a freshman and sophomore. Guys like Lucas Quinn and Troy Lauder come to mind. Both clearly have some offensive skills and could see the field for a few different schools as at least 2nd line middies, but they will be basically 2 of like 7 guys fighting for time as the 3rd and final middie on the 2nd middie line (behind Trimboli, Dordevic, Curry, Buttermore, and Lipka). Then as seniors they will be 2 of a bunch of guys fighting for two spots instead of one with Trimboli gone. Just seems like a waste of their talent that could certainly be needed when we have to replace Curry Buttermore and Lipka all at once.

In theory that sounds good but keep in mind that 1. SU would have to want said player to stay around for an extra year. In some cases a player just isn't a match for whatever reason or they just don't have the skill/talent to breakthrough for major minutes. 2. Probably more important the player would have to be in agreement with this plan. Your talking another entire year of tuition costs as unlike the fball and ball team almost zero of these guys are on a full ride or close to it. Another year might not be financially viable for some of the guys. All that said it would make sense if all parties are in agreement for a few guys to take a late RS.

2019 roster sizes of ff n quarterfinalists. .UVA 44, PSU 45, Duke 47, Yale 49... Loyola 44, Maryland 46, Upenn 49, ND 50

Sometimes less is more

You can only dress 32 in an NCAA tournament game.

In theory that sounds good but keep in mind that 1. SU would have to want said player to stay around for an extra year. In some cases a player just isn't a match for whatever reason or they just don't have the skill/talent to breakthrough for major minutes. 2. Probably more important the player would have to be in agreement with this plan. Your talking another entire year of tuition costs as unlike the fball and ball team almost zero of these guys are on a full ride or close to it. Another year might not be financially viable for some of the guys. All that said it would make sense if all parties are in agreement for a few guys to take a late RS.

All very true. Wonder what the process was like with DePietro. At least in his case it was probably more definite that he would receive a starting role with Cunningham and Bomberry graduating, whereas with Lauder and Quinn and guys like that there is still a chance they would get out played by some of the young guns even after redshirting. Just hard to tell if they are "a good match" or not when they are guaranteed to play behind 4 or 5 guys their last 2 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom