2019 Fall Ball ... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Fall Ball ...

Wasn’t the alumni game today too? Or was that moved?

So the littlest Shrmdougluvr has adopted Jacob Buttermore as his favorite player. He digs the blue head, which appears to be a Nike, that Buttermore plays with. Anyone know his setup?

Very very early going here, but Scanlan certainly doesn’t seem to be tearing things up so far - Could be proven wrong over time, but in my view Dordevic and Curry are the Alpha players . Scanlan will get his numbers on spacing and step down, but don’t think he will prove to be the go guy in a game deciding moment.

Wasn’t the alumni game today too? Or was that moved?

They played it. I wasnt there for it, so couldnt comment further. Saw guys like Matt Abbott, Nate Solomon, and Liam Banks floating around.

Very very early going here, but Scanlan certainly doesn’t seem to be tearing things up so far - Could be proven wrong over time, but in my view Dordevic and Curry are the Alpha players . Scanlan will get his numbers on spacing and step down, but don’t think he will prove to be the go guy in a game deciding moment.

He’s played two games, one against defenders who see him everyday. It’s October. Cut him some slack.

He had two or three more chances against Denver that he just missed. He pots those, he has four or five goals his first time out.

He’s played two games, one against defenders who see him everyday. It’s October. Cut him some slack.

He had two or three more chances against Denver that he just missed. He pots those, he has four or five goals his first time out.

Never said he is not a great player / but he’s a step down , open space 2 dodge guy - not an alpha

Never said he is not a great player / but he’s a step down , open space 2 dodge guy - not an alpha

Djodevic looked like the alpha today. Everyone else will pick their spots and go with the flow. It's hard to see Scanlan scoring 40+ again with the talent distribution SU has. But i could see 7 or 8 guys, including Scanlan, scoring more than 20.

Last edited:
Fernandez is listed as a Junior & I’m wondering if he qualified for a medical redshirt after playing in 4/13 regular season games in 2018. I’ve quoted the NCAA’s rule below. 30% of 13 is 3.9, do they round that up to 4 games or did he exceed it by playing in 4, thus negating the redshirt?

“In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.”

Dami is listed as a Junior even though he sat out all of last year. I assume the rule is no different for academic ineligibility than it is for medical/developmental redshirts?

Lastly, Jake Nelson is incorrectly listed as a RS Jr., as this is his RS Sr. year. According to his bio (Jake Nelson) he played 9 games for Bingo in 2016, 13 games for Mercer in 2017, redshirted at SU in 2018, & appeared in 4 games last season.

Fernandez is listed as a Junior & I’m wondering if he qualified for a medical redshirt after playing in 4/13 regular season games in 2018. I’ve quoted the NCAA’s rule below. 30% of 13 is 3.9, do they round that up to 4 games or did he exceed it by playing in 4, thus negating the redshirt?

“In team sports, the injury or illness occurs when the student-athlete has not participated in more than three contests or dates of competition (whichever is applicable to that sport) or 30 percent (whichever number is greater) of the institution’s scheduled or completed contests or dates of competition in his or her sport.”

Dami is listed as a Junior even though he sat out all of last year. I assume the rule is no different for academic ineligibility than it is for medical/developmental redshirts?

Lastly, Jake Nelson is incorrectly listed as a RS Jr., as this is his RS Sr. year. According to his bio (Jake Nelson) he played 9 games for Bingo in 2016, 13 games for Mercer in 2017, redshirted at SU in 2018, & appeared in 4 games last season.

Seriously you don't expect the SU Athletic Department to get everything right on the first try?

I believe Scanlan will be fine boys, am sure he's still "finding his way" here at Cuse. Went to the Denver scrimmage (as well as yesterday's), he doesn't have to be the go to guy, but he's a nice finisher with some sneaky and slithery ways of finding the open spots in front of the cage. He looks like a classic Cuse player to me.
Dordy looks as if he's trying to make up for lost time from last year...absolutely the alpha male out there. Chalked up a few yesterday, perhaps two of his most impressive shots missed the mark but highly impressive nonetheless. If I have one complaint it's that he's being just a bit too hogish when he has the ball, that boy is not shy about shooting (not really a knock but distributing the ball is a really big deal). Several young players looking really good, too many to remember and comment about. Fernandez is just an absolute beast (Kennedy style...that duo is very tought to deal with) and it looks to me as if he's really worked on his stick handling. Was never bad but just looks as if he's taken it to another level.
Cuse looks pretty good, it's not unrealistic to have high expectations but that's not to say there aren't some other mighty good teams out there. Va looked mighty good v Team USA for example.
Go Cuse!

52B0B04F-0F3F-45AD-83D4-2684C4098CE3.jpeg
DA6F8004-AB53-43FE-AF73-DAEBFFD09C6A.jpeg
8738169C-5E70-4ECD-AF95-8463FCA5E5F5.jpeg
DF673060-0FA1-4CF6-9A7D-4719C9B64FEE.jpeg

Last edited:
So the littlest Shrmdougluvr has adopted Jacob Buttermore as his favorite player. He digs the blue head, which appears to be a Nike, that Buttermore plays with. Anyone know his setup?
The littlest Shrmdoughluvr has a good eye, IMO. I think Buttermore has been very under-used (is that a word?) he's a crafty and very effective player who just makes things happen when he's on the field. Example: On the first possession the Cuse team he was on had the ball, not much at all happened...stale, not much movement (in fairness it was the first possession for either team and very early in the scrimmage...they weren't in the groove yet). He got the ball on the second possesion and kicked things in gear buy drawing a double then dishing which generated all kinds of movement resulting in a goal for that unit. He's got a cannon of a shot, has a nice arsenal from in tight, and is tough to take the ball away from. I think he's going to play a pretty big role this season. Was VERY glad to see him on the EMO unit, I think he should have always been on it. He scored one yesterday and played well all in all. Very good player. Tell the littlest S he/she's got company...which reminds me, you folks, who aren't already, need to start tuning into the wlaxer's game. It aint your grandma's wlax, it's whole new and very pretty game with the shot clock and rules changes...very pretty game played by superb athletes!

I think the kid is letting his team get used to him not trying to hard just letting it come to him. I think the alpha male comes out in the spring when it counts not in a team scrimmage where other kids need to make a impression not an all American who scored more goal then any one on the team

I think the kid is letting his team get used to him not trying to hard just letting it come to him. I think the alpha male comes out in the spring when it counts not in a team scrimmage where other kids need to make a impression not an all American who scored more goal then any one on the team

Let me add that when I used the term "Alpha," i was referring to a clear pack leader. Those guys stuck me as Djordevic, Curry, Dearth (who didnt play particularly well), and Mellen. I didnt see any shrinking violets out there though. All the kids played/ran really hard and were aggressive. Scanlan just has more of that floating, probing style, ala Rehfuss. On one occasion Scanlan chased some long pole down the field from his own end taking at least a half-dozen vicious swings before finally dislodging the ball on the other side of mid field. It was a very impressive play.

Let me add that when I used the term "Alpha," i was referring to a clear pack leader. Those guys stuck me as Djordevic, Curry, Dearth (who didnt play particularly well), and Mellen. I didnt see any shrinking violets out there though. All the kids played/ran really hard and were aggressive. Scanlan just has more of that floating, probing style, ala Rehfuss. On one occasion Scanlan chased some long pole down the field from his own end taking at least a half-dozen vicious swings before finally dislodging the ball on the other side of mid field. It was a very impressive play.
Indeed it was...classic NA style, those boys aint shy about hacking with those sticks.
(Played against/with them in the days of wooden sticks. OUCH!!!!)

You will know who the alphas are when the regular season starts agaisnt top starters of other teams not an intrasquad game when some are purposely not going full tilt. Scanlan's game fits this squad well. I commend him for not forcing and playing team ball.

6AB50B49-F5F4-46F0-BB10-A15DE15624D9.jpeg

Looks like a Royal Blue Nike Lakota and Nike or STX royal blue shaft, probably the STX SC-TI with an orange butt end.

Last edited:
I think Scanlan will be effective off the dodge since there is plenty of footage of him getting by both shorties and long poles last year. Granted it is in pretty unorthodox ways and not something he did all the time, but it certainly happened. He did a great job against Daniel Jones (who is not the best SSDM but certainly no slouch) in their game against Hopkins last year. Bomberry/Voigt would have never tried dodging in situations like he does. He had a solid assist number last year as well. Had two goals off the dodge against Denver. He may not initiate as often as curry or Dordevic but if the slides after their dodges lead to Scanlan mismatched against a short stick he will almost definitely go for it and create further problems for the D.

Semantics.

No, Scanlan will not be our primary dodger but he is integral piece and will be very productive in this offense as will Trimboli who never gets proper mention despite being a four year starter and highest scoring mid three years straight. The various strengths complement each other and that chemistry will make this offense very difficult to defend against. Pick your poison.

Moving on, third attack is clearly in good hands with Cook and Seebold and unit has more prepared depth than last . Sophs Berkman and Aburn can play (as can rs sr Nelson ) and newbies behind appear solid.

Attack rotation will be four but its possible a fifth could see some minutes on occasion. Any question about unit now shifts forward to who fills Refhuss role next year. Expect to see some inkling of that this year .

The SU offense next will have some very good pieces to work with in 2020. I am interested in seeing how those pieces fit together. For Scanlan, I don't think it is unfair to expect the same output he had last year. I know he is losing Pat Spencer has a distributor, but moving down to attack and being a year older should help him.

In an article about Loyola, his old coach seemed to minimize the loss of Scanlan by saying “With Chase, you had a very talented player who really scored a lot of goals that were created out of the two-man game with Pat,” Toomey said. “I don’t know if we’re built to play like that, anyway." Now, SU didn't play a lot of pick and roll the last few years, but it is something that the new OC is supposed to employ. Over the last two scrimmages has anyone seen it?

I am also no Pat Toomey but I think Scanlan is more than just a pick and roll player. And while there is certainly no Pat Spencer on this SU team, I think between the play-making abilities of Rhefuss and Curry, I think they can open up Scanlan (and others) for plenty of easy looks at the goal. I am hoping that Curry could become a version of senior year JoJo Marasco and be a distributor from the midfield. Maybe Rhefuss can put up 30+ assists and Curry could add another 25+? I don't think that's inconceivable.

The rest of the offense is rounded out by guys who are primarily dodgers, but Lipka and Trimboli are capable passers who make smart decisions. I would like to see Dordevic and Buttermore's assist totals rise, but sometimes you need guys who aren't afraid to shoot and really go at the goal. If the offense is humming, but it doesn't look like Scanlan is putting up big numbers, I think fans can rest easy knowing he is taking attention away from others. The good thing about this offense is I think the sixth option on the field doesn't have that big of a drop off from the first option on the field. But they have to find a way that will maximize all their talents.

Anyways, here is the article about Loyola I mentioned above -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom