2019 NBA Draft Early Entry List: 233 players for 60 spots | Syracusefan.com

2019 NBA Draft Early Entry List: 233 players for 60 spots

The National Basketball Association announced today that 233 players — 175 players from colleges and other educational institutions and 58 international players — have filed as early entry candidates for the 2019 NBA Draft presented by State Farm.

Players who have applied for early entry have the right to withdraw their names from consideration for the Draft by notifying the NBA of their decision in writing no later than 5 p.m. ET on Monday, June 10. Under NCAA rules, in order to retain college basketball eligibility, underclassmen who have entered the 2019 Draft must withdraw by Wednesday, May 29.

Colleges put out how many graduates for how many jobs each year? Probably a worse ratio.

It's an easy stat to find...the Bureau of Labor Statistics put out a report in January 2017 for the full year 2016 that showed the unemployment rate for college graduates that year was only 2.5 percent, or 1 in 40.

Last edited:
It's an easy stat to find...the Bureau of Labor Statistics put out a report in January 2017 for the full year 2016 that showed the unemployment rate for college graduates that year was only 2.5 percent, or 1 in 40.
In their field of study?

In their field of study?
Doesn't matter...a job is a job is a job. One job leads to another, etc., etc. I have an undergraduate and graduate degree in history but I've been a business and technology journalist my whole working life. I'd guess most people except doctors, lawyers, etc. end up not working in their field of study.

Doesn't matter...a job is a job is a job. One job leads to another, etc., etc. I have an undergraduate and graduate degree in history but I've been a business and technology journalist my whole working life. I'd guess most people except doctors, lawyers, etc. end up not working in their field of study.
The problem comes when a school reports employment by their alumni, let's say, law school students, and it counts the bartending the newly minted law school grad does as "employed."

The problem comes when a school reports employment by their alumni, let's say, law school students, and it counts the bartending the newly minted law school grad does as "employed."
Maybe the bartender has a couple of small clients as a lawyer but not enuf to open a practice and no experience to get a job in a firm. Bartending makes ends meet. I have some lawyer friends who work as paralegals part time and work as waiters to pay the bills.

Barrista? Waiter? The numbers are impressive, but what is the context behind he numbers.

Maybe the bartender has a couple of small clients as a lawyer but not enuf to open a practice and no experience to get a job in a firm.
Right, because that's what employment statistics about graduates are intended to measure.

Come on.

Many of these players are not leaving with aspirations of the NBA. For whatever reason school is not working for them, and the initial way to get your name out there for any professional league is to enter the NBA draft.

Right, because that's what employment statistics about graduates are intended to measure.

Come on.
Employment stats about college graduates measure employment. That's precisely what they're intended to measure.

Barrista? Waiter? The numbers are impressive, but what is the context behind he numbers.
Your assumption is that if you graduate in a field of study you intend to work in that field of study. That's the context, right? In statistical terms, what you're really asking is to cross reference the employment numbers against specific fields and available number of graduates by major, then measure it against variables such as attrition, turnover, etc. compared against the number of available entrants. In addition, you couldn't just do it for graduates coming into a particular field, you'd also have to cross reference that against those people that elect not to work in their field of study and against those in the field who choose to leave their profession for something else.

The point of the stat is that college graduates no matter what their chosen field or if they even have one stand a statistically far greater chance of employment than not. Inasmuch as NBA draft entrants probably to a guy do not have a degree their chances of employment in the league or after are statistically far inferior.

Colleges put out how many graduates for how many jobs each year? Probably a worse ratio.

That’s only early entrants no? Probably twice as many people vying for the available jobs if you count the seniors and all but about 60 have roughly the same shot.

Come on.

Agreed. That's reaching. Getting a college degree is also important to landing a job. Whatever the percentage it's much higher than those without degrees, obviously, and it's a drastic difference in overall lifetime earnings statistically as well.

If you want to say you don't mind kids leaving early even if they don't end up in the nba b/c they'll be getting payed to play somewhere, that's fine. But let's not get crazy.

Your assumption is that if you graduate in a field of study you intend to work in that field of study. That's the context, right? In statistical terms, what you're really asking is to cross reference the employment numbers against specific fields and available number of graduates by major, then measure it against variables such as attrition, turnover, etc. compared against the number of available entrants. In addition, you couldn't just do it for graduates coming into a particular field, you'd also have to cross reference that against those people that elect not to work in their field of study and against those in the field who choose to leave their profession for something else.

The point of the stat is that college graduates no matter what their chosen field or if they even have one stand a statistically far greater chance of employment than not. Inasmuch as NBA draft entrants probably to a guy do not have a degree their chances of employment in the league or after are statistically far inferior.

Not to mention that every job I've had -- journalism, corporate communications and sales -- has had 'bachelor's degree' in the requirements. I wouldn't mind seeing some drastic differences to the education system and some kids simply don't need college -- I have a buddy who's an auto mechanic and doesn't even own his own shop but he lives in a $900K house and just got back from a trip to mexico. And that's not even mentioning kids who are coding or entrepreneurs, etc.

But for most people, the piece of paper they get when they graduate from college -- even if they cheated to get it -- is a pretty essential part of a successful career. Not sure what the argument would be against that.

Not to mention that every job I've had -- journalism, corporate communications and sales -- has had 'bachelor's degree' in the requirements. I wouldn't mind seeing some drastic differences to the education system and some kids simply don't need college -- I have a buddy who's an auto mechanic and doesn't even own his own shop but he lives in a $900K house and just got back from a trip to mexico. And that's not even mentioning kids who are coding or entrepreneurs, etc.

But for most people, the piece of paper they get when they graduate from college -- even if they cheated to get it -- is a pretty essential part of a successful career. Not sure what the argument would be against that.
I agree to an extent, but I think we overemphasize the need for a 4 year degree. We need to take away the stigma of vocational tech training. Your mechanic friend is far from the exception. You've got to be pretty intelligent to do what he does and it needs training that doesn't come with a bachelors degree.

I agree to an extent, but I think we overemphasize the need for a 4 year degree. We need to take away the stigma of vocational tech training. Your mechanic friend is far from the exception. You've got to be pretty intelligent to do what he does and it needs training that doesn't come with a bachelors degree.

Agreed. What makes him really unusual is that his sister was/is an absolute rockstar student. PhD from Harvard, basically got paid to go there. But last year was the first year since he graduated from high school ('96) that he didn't make more than she did since obviously she is trying to land extremely competitive grants, etc. Just an interesting case study.

I think the thing that's not overrated about a 4-year degree is that the vast majority of people need that piece of paper that proves you got your 120 credits or whatnot. That said, the number of people who don't need that degree is growing and, I'd argue, we need to really consider what we're teaching in college. I love the arts and humanities, so I'm not really pushing STEM initiatives, as much as more real-world business training. There are so many opportunities to do your own thing.

Agreed. What makes him really unusual is that his sister was/is an absolute rockstar student. PhD from Harvard, basically got paid to go there. But last year was the first year since he graduated from high school ('96) that he didn't make more than she did since obviously she is trying to land extremely competitive grants, etc. Just an interesting case study.

I think the thing that's not overrated about a 4-year degree is that the vast majority of people need that piece of paper that proves you got your 120 credits or whatnot. That said, the number of people who don't need that degree is growing and, I'd argue, we need to really consider what we're teaching in college. I love the arts and humanities, so I'm not really pushing STEM initiatives, as much as more real-world business training. There are so many opportunities to do your own thing.
One thing I've come across in some of the people I've worked with that didn't go to college... some of them have a really, really hard time having their work critiqued. I believe it's because they never had to experience that professor that whatever they did just wasn't going to be good enough for, and had to figure out how to adjust what they were doing to get by.

Its time to let them all enter the draft and retain their eligibility when they fall outside the 60 names called.

Funny how a white sport like hockey allows this but football and basketball don't...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom