2019 NY Football Giants Season .. | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2019 NY Football Giants Season ..

Eli always got up from hits that likely would’ve killed Troy Aikman and Tony Romo, based on their injury history.

And related hot take: Emmitt Smith is often “discredited” in the GOAT running backs convos because of all the help he had, but that guy was a DOG, regardless. Nothing but respect for him.

Aikman is probably a nice guy and he certainly did the job that was required of him when healthy, but he’d be Trent Dilfer if he played for Tampa Bay.

And related hot take: Emmitt Smith is often “discredited” in the GOAT running backs convos because of all the help he had, but that guy was a DOG, regardless. Nothing but respect for him.

Aikman is probably a nice guy and he certainly did the job that was required of him when healthy, but he’d be Trent Dilfer if he played for Tampa Bay.
Barry Sanders was better.
If you put Sanders behind that Dallas OL he would have been impossible to stop.
Emmitt was a stud but he wasn’t better than Barry.

Aikman never really had to carry the cowboys but the guy was legit good.
In that era I would put him with Steve Young and Bretf Favre.
The AFC was Marino, Kelly, Elway who were older.

Last edited:

The Derek Jeter of football.

Eli always got up from hits that likely would’ve killed Troy Aikman and Tony Romo, based on their injury history.

Romo, yes.

Aikman, no.

Your boy is durable but I’ll never pick a QB who played in the bubble wrap era vs a 80s/90s passer who played against guys like LT & Reggie White.

Edit - Manning also had the good fortune of playing with Strahan and other DLinemen (Tuck) who actually put QBs (like Romo) down.

Last edited:
I am now firmly in the Alsacs and ForCuseSake camp regarding Eli. He is dead to me, and should never make the HOF.

Why?

From the article:
Abby doesn’t know where her husband is. She scans the field. Even seven-month-old Charlie—Chill Man Charlie, they call him, because he never cries—appears to be looking. Daddy is nowhere to be found.

Five minutes pass. The stadium is nearly empty when Abby decides they somehow must have missed Eli come off the field. “That’s a first,” she says. Then she squirts ketchup on a hot dog, wraps it in cellophane and places it in a bag to bring to her husband, along with two Bud Lights.

View attachment 171346

Sorry, KaiserUEO and OrangeDW
Yeah, that’s wrong.

But “2 BudLight’s” and the endlessness bottles of wine for friends and family...have moved him now to 1st Ballot HOF.

Barry Sanders was better.
If you put Sanders behind that Dallas OL he would have been impossible to stop.
Emmitt was a stud but he wasn’t better than Barry.

Aikman never really had to carry the cowboys but the guy was legit good.
In that era I would put him with Steve Young and Bretf Favre.
The AFC was Marino, Kelly, Elway who were older.

Smith was at worst the number 2 RB. Barry could do things that nobody else in the history of the game could do.

But damn, Emmitt was so tough and so good. That’s like Wilt/Russell IMO.

Aikman was good in his role and certainly did his job but he had all time greats at RB, FB(yup!), WR, and OL. And a really good TE. Not one QB(including Young or Montana) had as much help. And both of them were easily better.

He was “solid”. Put him in Cleveland and he’s Bernie Kosar.

Romo, yes.

Aikman, no.

Your boy is durable but I’ll never pick a QB who played in the bubble wrap era vs a 80s/90s passer who played against guys like LT & Reggie White.

Edit - Manning also had the good fortune of playing with Strahan and other DLinemen (Tuck) who actually put QBs (like Romo) down.

That is a fair point.

Though prime Aikman (91-96 or so?) mostly missed prime LT and Reggie. He caught a couple late era Buddy Ryan era defenses, a late career LT on some Ray Handley and a Dan Reeves team, and the last great Joe Gibbs Redskins team (91)early on.

Then it was smooth sailing through a really bad Giants-Redskins mid 90s era, and one “good” Eagles team QB’d by...Rodney Peete. So how good were they really?

Smith was at worst the number 2 RB. Barry could do things that nobody else in the history of the game could do.

But damn, Emmitt was so tough and so good. That’s like Wilt/Russell IMO.

Aikman was good in his role and certainly did his job but he had all time greats at RB, FB(yup!), WR, and OL. And a really good TE. Not one QB(including Young or Montana) had as much help. And both of them were easily better.

He was “solid”. Put him in Cleveland and he’s Bernie Kosar.

Montana’s cast was on par.

Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig, Rathman were all elite if not All Pro

Montana was a better QB than Aikman. Those Niners teams were well stacked.

Montana’s cast was on par.

Rice, Taylor, Clark, Craig, Rathman were all elite if not All Pro

Montana was a better QB than Aikman. Those Niners teams were well stacked.

Skill position wise, yeah. SF was just as good. They had Brent Jones at TE too, though he was a bigger factor for prime Young than he was for Montana. And throw in Ricky Watters and William Floyd (no legend but he was a talent) for Young instead of Craig/Rathman.

But Dallas had 4 OL that were multiple time pro bowlers with Dallas during Aikman’s prime: Williams, Newton, Tuinai, and Stepnoski. Plus Grogan who went on to make Pro Bowls with the Raiders and Niners. Did SF have that kind of line?

Skill position wise, yeah. SF was just as good. They had Brent Jones at TE too, though he was a bigger factor for prime Young than he was for Montana. And throw in Ricky Watters and William Floyd (no legend but he was a talent) for Young instead of Craig/Rathman.

But Dallas had 4 OL that were multiple time pro bowlers with Dallas during Aikman’s prime: Williams, Newton, Tuinai, and Stepnoski. Plus Grogan who went on to make Pro Bowls with the Raiders and Niners. Did SF have that kind of line?

Yes, Barton, McIntyre, Sapolu, Wallace and Paris were excellent OL. Barton & McIntyre were All Pro.

Edit - Sapolu and Wallace were also multiple Pro Bowlers. So they had 4 guys with multiple PBs too.

Yes, Barton, McIntyre, Sapolu, Wallace and Paris were excellent OL. Barton & McIntyre were All Pro.

Edit - Sapolu and Wallace were also multiple Pro Bowlers. So they had 4 guys with multiple PBs too.

Random aside, who was the Niner with Double helmet thing? Wallace?

Random aside, who was the Niner with Double helmet thing? Wallace?

Yep

1570846019018.jpeg

somehow the giants are still only 1 game out of first.

eagles beat dallas and lose to bills 4-4 then chicago 4-5.
dallas lose to eagles and giants after the bye 3-5

giants ariz/detroit and then beat dallas 5-4

in first place in 3 weeks is kinda dooaaabble.

somehow the giants are still only 1 game out of first.

eagles beat dallas and lose to bills 4-4 then chicago 4-5.
dallas lose to eagles and giants after the bye 3-5

giants ariz/detroit and then beat dallas 5-4

in first place in 3 weeks is kinda dooaaabble.
It’s right there for the taking at least, which is really all we can ask for with the rook at QB and all the injuries.

I’m guessing no shepard again, but hopefully Engram and Gallman are a go.

As for Barkley, just be smart, Giants might be able to beat the cards without him.

If the Giants are 4-4 heading into MNF!!?? hey now...

Whereas I think Jones will be very good in the future, he needs to get that clock in his head fixed. Way too many sacks when he could have thrown the ball away. You can't stand back there forever.

And that 3rd and 18 play call at 21-24 in the 4th... :rolleyes:

Shurmur isn’t your HC Long term.
That team today wasn’t ready to play.
After 10 days that shouldn’t happen.

You guys will be lucky to get 6 wins now.

Whereas I think Jones will be very good in the future, he needs to get that clock in his head fixed. Way too many sacks when he could have thrown the ball away. You can't stand back there forever.

And that 3rd and 18 play call at 21-24 in the 4th... :rolleyes:

Agreed. That’s my main concern right now...doesn’t always seem to feel the pressure. Chandler ate us alive.

Still, if Engram catches that ball before halftime - which was an easy catch and a horrible drop, and we don’t miss that FG off the upright...good chance we pull this one out.

Great to have Barkley back, but he had a couple big mistakes. He whiffed on a block on one of those strip sacks, and the timing of that screen play that led to a fumble was off. Hopefully stuff that will be fixed in practice, because he was out for awhile and is still a very young player himself.

Agreed. That’s my main concern right now...doesn’t always seem to feel the pressure. Chandler ate us alive.

Still, if Engram catches that ball before halftime - which was an easy catch and a horrible drop, and we don’t miss that FG off the upright...good chance we pull this one out.

Great to have Barkley back, but he had a couple big mistakes. He whiffed on a block on one of those strip sacks, and the timing of that screen play that led to a fumble was off. Hopefully stuff that will be fixed in practice, because he was out for awhile and is still a very young player himself.
Re: Saquon - yeah, he was the casue of one of the fumbles, but he's just a rookie (I know, second year but with a lot of missed games this year) but that comes with time. I give him a pass on this.

Shot ourselves in the foot today. Too many mistakes.

Shurmur isn’t your HC Long term.
That team today wasn’t ready to play.
After 10 days that shouldn’t happen.

You guys will be lucky to get 6 wins now.
Eh, who cares. You hand the reins to a rook, it is a throwaway year... Give him experience and figure out what you need to build a team around him that can compete as he, hopefully, grows into a top 10 QB...

Frankly, the fewer wins the better this year...we need help in several areas and could use another really high draft pick to get a difference maker on the D line...

Eh, who cares. You hand the reins to a rook, it is a throwaway year... Give him experience and figure out what you need to build a team around him that can compete as he, hopefully, grows into a top 10 QB...

Frankly, the fewer wins the better this year...we need help in several areas and could use another really high draft pick to get a difference maker on the D line...
Don't forget about the O Line.

Yeah - I'm less worried about wins and losses. I want everyone healthy, get reps, and then fill some gaps in the off season. We aren't as good as Dallas or Philly (at least I think Philly should be included here).

We'll get there.