2019 NYSPHSAA Boys Lacrosse Championships | Syracusefan.com

2019 NYSPHSAA Boys Lacrosse Championships

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
The 2019 NYSPHSAA Boys Lacrosse State Championship games will be played Saturday June 8th at St. John Fisher College in Rochester.

Class A at 10 a.m., Class B at 12:30 p.m., Class C at 3 p.m. and Class D at 5:30.

Brackets should be released the 29th.

June 1 Regionals (St John Fisher / Corning-Painted Post HS / Middletown HS / Hofstra)
Class A (all games at 10 AM)

(5) Fairport 5, (6) Orchard Park 1
(3) B'ville 12, (4) Corning 4
(1) Mamaroneck 10, (9) Kingston 4
(8) Massapequa 10, (11) Ward Melville 5

Class B (all games at 12:30 PM)
(5) Victor 8, (6) Hamburg 4,
(4) Vestal 9, (3) FM 7,
(1) John Jay 20, (9) Warwick 4
(8) Manhasset 16, (11) Harborfields 3

Class C (all games at 3 PM)
(6) East Aurora 8, (5) Geneva 6
(3) JD 17, (4) Owego 3
(1) Rye 18, (9) Red Hook 3
(11) Shoreham-Wading River 13, (8) Cold Spring Harbor 12

Class D (all games at 5:30 PM)
(5) Penn Yan 8, (6) Eden 5
(3) LaFayette 14, (4) Chenango Forks 12
(1) Briarcliff 14, (9) O'Neill 1
(11) Mattituck 16, (8) Oyster Bay 6

Last edited:

June 5 Semi Finals
Class A (all games at 4 PM)

(5) Fairport 8, (3) Baldwinsville 7 (OT)
(8) Massapequa 14, (1) Mamaroneck 9

Finals: Fairport vs Massapequa at 10 AM Saturday

Class B (all games at 6:30 PM)
(5) Victor 12, (4) Vestal 6
(1) John Jay 11, (8) Manhasset 10

Finals: Victor vs John Jay at 12:30 PM

Class C (all games at 4 PM)
(3) JD 18, (6) East Aurora 4
(11) Shoreham-Wading River 13, (1) Rye 6

Finals: Jamesville-Dewitt vs Shoreham-Wading River at 3 PM

Class D (all games at 6:30 PM)
(3) LaFayette 13, (5) Penn Yan 6
(1) Briarcliff 10, (11) Mattituck 3

Finals: LaFayette vs Briarcliff at 5:30 PM

Last edited:
I like Lafayette to beat Briarcliff and win it all. JD is going to have their hands full.

Re Lafayette/Briarcliff - I haven't seen Briarcliff so I'm basing my guess on Briarcliffs 1st round game against Schuylerville in which they won 5-3. I saw Schuylerville play 3 times this year and they were ok. One good lefty middie who's headed to D1 Drexel but other than that they had major holes all over the field. The 5-3 score took me by surprise. That was the closest section2 came to winning their first round games against section1.

Dylan Lyons is becoming a major handful. His size is really eye opening.

Last edited:
BVille gave up the game tying goal with 17 seconds left - bummer.

So what do we know about SWR and Briarcliff?

I live in Briarcliff Manor and put two son’s through the high school’s lax program, though that was long ago as both are out of college now. I actually did not get a chance to see any of the team’s games this year, the first time in a long time. But here is the team’s MO:

Briarcliff is currently ranked number one in the state for Class D after defeating defending champion Pleasantville in the Sectional final. The team is noted for its match-up zone defense. It held NJ powerhouse Summit this year to two goals, though it did lose 2-1. Aside from this game, the offense is more potent than it has been in past years, with a pair of freshmen and a sophomore leading the way. The team’s soph LSM is particularly good. But as a whole, the success has been built on solid, unselfish and hustling team play rather than around 1-2 big-time studs.

Though young, Briarcliff played an extremely tough schedule, losing only to Summit NJ, Ridgefield CT, New Fairfield CT and Bronxville NY (ranked in 6 NYS Class D currently). Briarcliff beat four teams currently ranked in the top 12 in Class D as well as Class A’s Section 1 runner-up this year. Seven of the top 15 ranked teams in Class D are from Section One

I live in Briarcliff Manor and put two son’s through the high school’s lax program, though that was long ago as both are out of college now. I actually did not get a chance to see any of the team’s games this year, the first time in a long time. But here is the team’s MO:

Briarcliff is currently ranked number one in the state for Class D after defeating defending champion Pleasantville in the Sectional final. The team is noted for its match-up zone defense. It held NJ powerhouse Summit this year to two goals, though it did lose 2-1. Aside from this game, the offense is more potent than it has been in past years, with a pair of freshmen and a sophomore leading the way. The team’s soph LSM is particularly good. But as a whole, the success has been built on solid, unselfish and hustling team play rather than around 1-2 big-time studs.

Though young, Briarcliff played an extremely tough schedule, losing only to Summit NJ, Ridgefield CT, New Fairfield CT and Bronxville NY (ranked in 6 NYS Class D currently). Briarcliff beat four teams currently ranked in the top 12 in Class D as well as Class A’s Section 1 runner-up this year. Seven of the top 15 ranked teams in Class D are from Section One

The fact that Briarcliff only scored 5 goals against Schuylerville of Section 2 has me really curious. I saw bad teams score more goals than that against Schuylerville this season. So this is very interesting matchup. Clearly Briarcliff has a smothering zone D and has beaten some really good teams but I have to believe they'll need to score more than say 9 goals to beat Lafayette. Lafayette is obviously peaking right now and scores huge chucks of goals but Skinny held them to 7 (L) and 8 (w). I think in some Penn Yan highlights PY was playing a zone so I 'think' Lafayette will be prepared for. I think this shapes up to be a heck of a game.

The fact that Briarcliff only scored 5 goals against Schuylerville of Section 2 has me really curious. I saw bad teams score more goals than that against Schuylerville this season. So this is very interesting matchup. Clearly Briarcliff has a smothering zone D and has beaten some really good teams but I have to believe they'll need to score more than say 9 goals to beat Lafayette. Lafayette is obviously peaking right now and scores huge chucks of goals but Skinny held them to 7 (L) and 8 (w). I think in some Penn Yan highlights PY was playing a zone so I 'think' Lafayette will be prepared for. I think this shapes up to be a heck of a game.

Offense has historically best Briarcliff’s Achilles heel when playing elite teams, and I too was surprised they didn’t score more against Schuylerville. It was a closer score than expected. The local Westchester paper did not have much of a write-up on this game. But The Saratogian reported Briarcliff “spent the night pressuring (Schuylerville’s) senior goalie Riley Tavares,” and quoted Schuylerville’s coach saying” that Tavares’ play “was arguably one of the best games I've seen from a goalkeeper on this field in my time being around here.” Tavares finished with 15 saves.

Another risk for Briarcliff is their youth. They have certainly gained a ton of experience from the schedule they played. But against Pleasantville in the Sectional finals they were up by three goals with 6 minutes left in the game and up by two goals with 33 seconds to play and ended up having to win in OT. When they win games against the better opponents, they tend to be by only 1-2 goals

Just saw that Connecticut powers New Fairfield and Ridgefield are the only teams that have scored more than nine goals against Briarcliff all season, and that while the Lafayette has been a high scoring team, it is just 1-5 when they net 10 or fewer

Just saw that Connecticut powers New Fairfield and Ridgefield are the only teams that have scored more than nine goals against Briarcliff all season, and that while the Lafayette has been a high scoring team, it is just 1-5 when they net 10 or fewer

yep. I'm thinking if Briarcliff scores more than 9 they win. We'll see. Just don't know with Lafayette.

June 8 Finals at St John Fisher
Class A (10 AM)

(8) Massapequa 10, (5) Fairport 6

Class B (12:30 PM)
(5) Victor 9, (1) John Jay 7

Class C (3:00 PM)
(11) Shoreham-Wading River 12, (3) Jamesville-Dewitt 7 :(

Class D (5:30 PM)
(3) LaFayette 9, (1) Briarcliff 8 (OT)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads