2019 Oscars | Syracusefan.com

2019 Oscars

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
This is the first time in several years that I haven't seen any of the Best Picture nominees but figured I'd start a thread for others who have thoughts throughout the night.

Most wide-open, unpredictable field in my lifetime. I could see any of the following taking home Best Picture:

Black Panther
BlacKKKlansman
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma

I’ll say Green Book, with Roma a close second.

Cuarón for Directing and Cinematography.

Malek, Close, Ali and King for the acting awards.

Spike Lee & Co. for Adapted Screenplay. Peter Farrelly & Co. for Original Screenplay.

Lady Gaga for Best Song.

Spider-Man for Animated Feature.

Roma for Foreign Film.

Infinity War for Visual Effects.

Vice for Editing and Makeup.

Black Panther for Costumes, Production Design and Original Score

Bohemian Rhapsody for both sound awards.

Free Solo for Documentary Feature.

Black Sheep, Bao and Marguerite for the films nobody’s seen.

Spike Lee said on CBS Sunday Morning a couple of weeks ago that he was still pissed off that "Do the Right Thing" lost to "Driving Miss Daisy", a story about a chauffeur and his employer, the black experience seen through the eyes of a white writer. he said he would be doubly pissed if he lost to Green Book, another film about a chauffeur and his boss written by a white writer.

Syracuse men's basketball should have won an Oscar for Best Impression of Upstate NY Weather.

I thought they hit the awards pretty good this year.. I liked the Coleman speach, although I havent been able to sit through that whole movie yet, it just feels like hard watch for me for some reason.

I thought they hit the awards pretty good this year.. I liked the Coleman speach, although I havent been able to sit through that whole movie yet, it just feels like hard watch for me for some reason.

Her speech was the best moment of the show IMO

What bugged me was that Coleman's performance was a supporting one, not a lead. The story was about Weiscz's & Stone's characters struggle for power. Similarly, Ali and Mortensen were both lead actors in "Greenbook".

I still say the way to do this is to award Oscars the way the Baseball hall of Fame chooses members. have some general eligibility requirements and give the voters blank ballots where they can write in up to 10 films or performances. Those that get listed on 75% of the ballots get Oscars. Eliminate the run-off between worthy candidates. it results in 1, 2 maybe 3 Hall of Famers in a particular year and the same would be true of the Oscars, where there are often more than one worthy film or performance. And you wouldn't have to shift leads into the supporting categories to get them a shot at the thing. You cold even open up the voting to past years to addresses perceived injustices. I don't think it would cheapen the award. the problem now is that they are too stringent with it. A virtue of the Hall of Fame system is that no one wins an award at the expense of someone else. If you didn't win one, it's because not enough voters felt you deserved it, not because those who got it prevented you from getting it.

I wouldn't have had an issue with Ali getting a lead nomination, but the story really was about the Driver in most every scene and Ali in some scenes.

yeah I didnt get Coleman as the lead either.

the studios do the nominating right? but i would never have dreamed she would have won as a lead actor from the 1/2 a movie i made it through.

Spike is basically saying you can only write stories you have lived , so 95% of whats written should never be done then and no stories about future/sciene fiction/zombies/etc..

really though he doesnt care what people write as long as its not about some racial stereotype he cares about.
its great he hs trying to tell his stories but he shouldnt always put down others trying to tell those stories too

Green book was written by the kid who lived it about his fathers life

Driving Miss Daisy is about an old white lady, but somewhat told by a black man. its not black mans story written by a white guy

Most wide-open, unpredictable field in my lifetime. I could see any of the following taking home Best Picture:

Black Panther
BlacKKKlansman
The Favourite
Green Book
Roma

I’ll say Green Book, with Roma a close second.

Cuarón for Directing and Cinematography.

Malek, Close, Ali and King for the acting awards.

Spike Lee & Co. for Adapted Screenplay. Peter Farrelly & Co. for Original Screenplay.

Lady Gaga for Best Song.

Spider-Man for Animated Feature.

Roma for Foreign Film.

Infinity War for Visual Effects.

Vice for Editing and Makeup.

Black Panther for Costumes, Production Design and Original Score

Bohemian Rhapsody for both sound awards.

Free Solo for Documentary Feature.

Black Sheep, Bao and Marguerite for the films nobody’s seen.
You did pretty well. Wow

I saw Rhapsody. Loved it.

i wrote this year's competition off when it failed to nominate "won't you be my neighbor" for best doc.

should've been nominated for best pic.

with the exception of "a star is born" and "isle of dogs," none of the best films i saw last year were nominated
won't you be my neighbor
pick of the litter
quiet place
what they had
death of stalin

i would also add paddington 2 but it may have been released late in 2017 and not eligible

Interesting that "get out" won last year and i thought "A Quiet place" was 10x the better movie

I liked "death of stalin" but wouldnt have nominated it for an oscar

tried to tall myself into seeing "wont you be my neighbor", but hated the show as a kid and only will watch the eddie murphy version

Interesting that "get out" won last year and i thought "A Quiet place" was 10x the better movie

I liked "death of stalin" but wouldnt have nominated it for an oscar

tried to tall myself into seeing "wont you be my neighbor", but hated the show as a kid and only will watch the eddie murphy version

The Shape of Water won last year.

Spike Lee said on CBS Sunday Morning a couple of weeks ago that he was still pissed off that "Do the Right Thing" lost to "Driving Miss Daisy", a story about a chauffeur and his employer, the black experience seen through the eyes of a white writer. he said he would be doubly pissed if he lost to Green Book, another film about a chauffeur and his boss written by a white writer.
I did not see the movie. In the Shelton quotes I saw, he did little to emphasis that in Greenbook the chauffeur was white. So, is it now that white screen writers as a whole taboo if there is a main black character, or can they only write about the white side of a relationship?

I did not see the movie. In the Shelton quotes I saw, he did little to emphasis that in Greenbook the chauffeur was white. So, is it now that white screen writers as a whole taboo if there is a main black character, or can they only write about the white side of a relationship?

That's the extreme view and appears to be Spikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom