2019 Schedule | Syracusefan.com

2019 Schedule

TV Info (to be updated)...

Colgate: Fri Feb 8, 7 PM

Albany: Sat Feb 16, 4 PM

Army (Sun Feb 24)

Virginia (Sat Mar 2)

Hopkins (Sat Mar 9) (We get Hop at home in back-to-back years)

Rutgers (Sat Mar 16) 1 PM

Duke (Sun Mar 24) 2 PM

at Notre Dame (Sat Mar 30)

at Hobart (Tues Apr 2) 7 PM

Cornell (Tues Apr 9) 7 PM

at North Carolina (Sat Apr 13) 3 PM

at Navy (Sat Apr 20) 5 PM

ACCT Semi's (Thurs Apr 25- Sat Apr 27)

ACC Finals (Sat May 4 or Sun May 5)

Obviously no surprises but I gotta say its very disappointing SU didn't add at least 1 (I was hoping for 2) cupcake type games to the schedule. Only playing 12 regular season games is the bare minimum and most schools are playing 14+. Essentially SU has two games that you would consider them to be overwhelming favorites Colgate and Hobart and with one of those being at Hobart and their superbowl its really 1.5. This team is going to be running a season wide gauntlet from mid February to the end of March; Albany, Army, Virginia, Hopkins, Rutgers, Duke, and Notre Dame before getting to play Hobart. Not getting a Canisius or Siena or St. Bonaventure somewhere in there or even during the week before the ACC tournament is a big mistake in my mind . Were leaving ourselves little room for error if this team has any sort of losing streak and things start to snowball.

Only 2 conflicts with Hoops

March 2 we're at Wake at Noon

March 9 we're at Clemson at Noon.

Obviously no surprises but I gotta say its very disappointing SU didn't add at least 1 (I was hoping for 2) cupcake type games to the schedule. Only playing 12 regular season games is the bare minimum and most schools are playing 14+. Essentially SU has two games that you would consider them to be overwhelming favorites Colgate and Hobart and with one of those being at Hobart and their superbowl its really 1.5. This team is going to be running a season wide gauntlet from mid February to the end of March; Albany, Army, Virginia, Hopkins, Rutgers, Duke, and Notre Dame before getting to play Hobart. Not getting a Canisius or Siena or St. Bonaventure somewhere in there or even during the week before the ACC tournament is a big mistake in my mind . Were leaving ourselves little room for error if this team has any sort of losing streak and things start to snowball.

What benefit would we get from playing St Bona in their 1st year, other than beating them by 30?

Only 2 conflicts with Hoops

March 2 we're at Wake at Noon

March 9 we're at Clemson at Noon.

With no late home games there wont be a double header either with the spring game.

What benefit would we get from playing St Bona in their 1st year, other than beating them by 30?

A couple actually.

1. It gives the team a breather from playing a top end opponent week in and week out, which this schedule pretty much is.
2. Allows some of the younger guys and guys down the depth chart to get some run
3. Would help prop up the W/L total which could be huge as the #1 SOS doesn't mean jack if your not .500 and eligible for the tourney.

Didn't realize this at first, but the schedule is very unbalanced, that aspect is a bit concerning. Seems extremely important for the team to get off to a fast start (which the indoor facilities should help).

I'm with Jeremy in wishing for more cupcake-like games, if for the simple fact I just want more games to watch. Seems like coaches have gotten too obsessed with RPI and giving their team as much rest as possible in-between games.

And not to be redundant but the ACC Tournament is about the most poorly thought up sporting event I can remember. Why in the world does it need to last more than one weekend?

And not to be redundant but the ACC Tournament is about the most poorly thought up sporting event I can remember. Why in the world does it need to last more than one weekend?

$$$$$$$$$$

Maybe our 5th place team could play whoever gets left out of the Patriot League tournament from now on.

Didn't realize this at first, but the schedule is very unbalanced, that aspect is a bit concerning. Seems extremely important for the team to get off to a fast start (which the indoor facilities should help).

I'm with Jeremy in wishing for more cupcake-like games, if for the simple fact I just want more games to watch. Seems like coaches have gotten too obsessed with RPI and giving their team as much rest as possible in-between games.

Agreed about the need to get out to a fast start. SU really needs to be 3-0 going into that UVA game, anything less and I think were probably in trouble. The only good thing about the new ACC tournament is that is guarantees everyone at least one game. So say SU does have a down year in conference it can certainly make that up on the back end.

I brought this up in another thread. There was a rumor circulating on our board that for the 2020 season, the UVa-SU game will be moved to later in the season, sometime around April 20.

I brought this up in another thread. There was a rumor circulating on our board that for the 2020 season, the UVa-SU game will be moved to later in the season, sometime around April 20.

All the conference games late in the season.

Odd, I'd think that the new ACCNetwork would want decent content all season long.

All the conference games late in the season.

Odd, I'd think that the new ACCNetwork would want decent content all season long.
Well, we’ll host JHU in March of 2020. :noidea:

Tough schedule. I agree that it would have been good to have scheduled one or two breathers for all the reasons that JeremyCuse mentioned. If Duke, UVA, Denver, Vermont , Air Force and others can schedule Utah then we could have scheduled a local in St Bonaventures who would have appreciated playing us despite the expected beatdown.

Question for Jeremy or any of the other experts.
Since we only scheduled 12 games could we add a game later in the year against a tomato can if we needed the win to get to .500? I am sure there are some schools left with openings.

Since we only scheduled 12 games could we add a game later in the year against a tomato can if we needed the win to get to .500? I am sure there are some schools left with openings.
Given the changes in the ACC tournament, we will play at least 13 games.

Starting this season, the 4th and 5th place teams will play on Thursday with the winner playing the #1 seed on Saturday. The 2 Saturday winners will play the following weekend for the ACC title.

Of course, none of this addresses the possibility of adding a game late, just the fact that we will be playing at least 13 games.

Assuming that we don't make the ACC Finals, could we schedule a last minute game for May 4?

Every other conference has their tournament that weekend. We'd have to pick a team with a losing record who didn't even qualify for their own tournament who's willing to take a beating for a paycheck.

I'd guess it would be next to impossible to pull it off.

Besides, if we have a losing record, we all get new desktops next season.

Beetch of a schedule. Team more experienced and physically mature but better be mentally prepared from the start if we are to go 3-0.

Colgate looked good at UPenn scrimmages and will be motivated for opener under a new coach unlike when they were playing out season under a edgy coach. Albany lost Ierlan and Fields but we have a twelve goal difference to make up. Army is always going to be physical and tough and demanding of a full effort.

Beyond those three games, Hobart is the only game where we are clear favorites and their annual quest to hoist the Kraus-Simmons trophy always injects an edge and the potential for a trap game.

We may be ranked in front of UNC and Navy but both games are on the road. UNC will be better defensively this year and have their injured back while the Midshipmen are a good overall team with a returning star in Torrain who gave us fits. We owe Rutgers at home but we have to play four quarters against that very solid team unlike last year where we stopped playing at three.
ND will have a improved O to go with their touted . They gave a glimpse in ACC tourney how good they can be when hitting on all cylinders. UVA acclaimed talent base has another year under Tiffany's process. Duke is Duke and you know they are tired of losing one goal games to us.

Cornell and JHU are arguably top five teams . Big Red d may not be as strong but they addressed their one weakness at faceoff with the addition of Aussie fogo and some others.. JHU may miss Tinney but plenty return as well as top recruit Epstein .

Believe 19 Cuse is improved as well but our SOS has got to be top five and it will test our mettle almost every week.

I don't think I've ever seen a team, in any sport, add a game to its schedule once the season has begun. Have to imagine this isn't even legal. Feels like teams struggling to make .500 on the season would have done this by now, and I've never seen it. If a game is canceled due to weather or some other mitigating circumstance it makes sense to schedule another game, but I've never seen a game added on just to give yourself a winning record.

Assuming that we don't make the ACC Finals, could we schedule a last minute game for May 4?

Every other conference has their tournament that weekend. We'd have to pick a team with a losing record who didn't even qualify for their own tournament who's willing to take a beating for a paycheck.

I'd guess it would be next to impossible to pull it off.

Besides, if we have a losing record, we all get new desktops next season.

To be honest I am not sure how that would work. I guess technically because SU is under the amount of games it can/could have scheduled we in theory could schedule a team but I think it would be highly unlikely. You would have to find another team that is not only willing but has the opening to schedule a game and would want to play at the Carrier Dome. The game would then have to be scheduled either during the week leading up to the 1st round of the ACC tourney (assuming were not in the 4-5 game) or during the week leading up to the second weekend of the ACC tourney (not exactly a great time to be playing a game). Hard to see Dekso even entertaining this. Thats why it would have made sense to schedule a team like Siena mid week in February or March to get an extra game in. Very disappointing that we didn't add at least one more game to the schedule.

I don't think I've ever seen a team, in any sport, add a game to its schedule once the season has begun. Have to imagine this isn't even legal. Feels like teams struggling to make .500 on the season would have done this by now, and I've never seen it. If a game is canceled due to weather or some other mitigating circumstance it makes sense to schedule another game, but I've never seen a game added on just to give yourself a winning record.
College football
NC State football adds to 2018 schedule, will host ECU on Dec. 1 - ACCSports.com

Years set for Virginia Tech to play Marshall; will ECU be replaced on Hokies' schedule?

South Carolina adds Akron to the football schedule

Iowa State adds Drake to 2018 football schedule

College basketball

Mills cleared to play; St. Mary's adds game

I won’t go on but you can add games with any teams that have openings during the season as long as it doesn’t put you over the limit.

Hmm, most of the examples you give (minus the St. Mary's college basketball one) references the situation I mentioned - games are scheduled after the season starts, but is replacing a game that was canceled. So a game was added (not replacing another) once in 2009. I guess it could happen, but it's extremely rare. Interesting.

Hmm, most of the examples you give (minus the St. Mary's college basketball one) references the situation I mentioned - games are scheduled after the season starts, but is replacing a game that was canceled. So a game was added (not replacing another) once in 2009. I guess it could happen, but it's extremely rare. Interesting.
If we were sitting at 6-6 going into the ACC tourney and weren’t in the 4-5 game I would look to add a 13th game and just guarantee that opener of the ACC tournament didn’t put our entire season on the line.
A 7-7 Syracuse team with our schedule should make the tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom