2019 theme, leave the table full. | Syracusefan.com

2019 theme, leave the table full.

GoSU96

Living Legend
"The 2018 class did a nice job," Babers said. "They didn't get everything. They left some meat on the bone, and I think the 2019 team will come out here and try to get the rest of that meat."

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2018/12 syracuse_football_begins_bowl_prep_hungry_to_chew_off_more_meat_in_2019.html

The above is obvious, oh so close, to 10, 11 wins, and the team overachieved as it was. So much upside on offense and room to tighten up on defense with a large group of underclassmen being key contributors.

The question is do these guys have a repeatable formula of volume offense, great situational defense and specials, and extraordinary turnover margin or was this year unique? If its repeatable, call it Baberball, and combined with the dome it's beyond just being ranked.

"The 2018 class did a nice job," Babers said. "They didn't get everything. They left some meat on the bone, and I think the 2019 team will come out here and try to get the rest of that meat."

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2018/12 syracuse_football_begins_bowl_prep_hungry_to_chew_off_more_meat_in_2019.html

The above is obvious, oh so close, to 10, 11 wins, and the team overachieved as it was. So much upside on offense and room to tighten up on defense with a large group of underclassmen being key contributors.

The question is do these guys have a repeatable formula of volume offense, great situational defense and specials, and extraordinary turnover margin or was this year unique? If its repeatable, call it Baberball, and combined with the dome it's beyond just being ranked.
Historically, turnovers are the uncontrollable variable. Teams that usually have many one year, are bound to take a dip the next, and vice versa.

But I don't see why Cuse cant continue to be special on special teams, tighten up the D, and score in volume on O

Going to be VERY tough to repeat this year with some very significant losses. BUT we have a competent good (maybe great) qb which is essential. I'm going with 8-4, 7-5 land next year as of today not yet seeing the full schedule.

If in the spring game I see a good DL to replace slayton, the OL look formidable and devito look great not just good (aka demonstrating a legit dual threat), if that all happens I feel even better and bump things up.

Regardless though its good to be Orange right now and so good to be past, well, it's good to be beyond the recent past. So fired up to go to the bowl and see Dungy go out in style!

Going to be VERY tough to repeat this year with some very significant losses. BUT we have a competent good (maybe great) qb which is essential. I'm going with 8-4, 7-5 land next year as of today not yet seeing the full schedule.

If in the spring game I see a good DL to replace slayton, the OL look formidable and devito look great not just good (aka demonstrating a legit dual threat), if that all happens I feel even better and bump things up.

Regardless though its good to be Orange right now and so good to be past, well, it's good to be beyond the recent past. So fired up to go to the bowl and see Dungy go out in style!
When you do get around to looking at the schedule, you will probably think more than 8 or 7 wins are possible.

When you do get around to looking at the schedule, you will probably think more than 8 or 7 wins are possible.

It'll be tough to get another 9 wins next year. But with that said, I look at the schedule and I think we can win every single game. We won't, but I just don't see those built in losses I'm used to. Clemson at home in front of 49,444 fans, it'll be a good one!

In the 2018 class, we're losing a few guys, but they're impactful. That being said, they can be replaced and I think a year of growth with everyone else can make up for our losses. I think we'll also see a type of offense that Babers had before syracuse than the one he's had at here. Our offense really relied on Dungey running quite a bit, and that's something we're gonna miss. But a downside with dungey is that he can't zip it to the outside like a Jimmy G or Devito can. With Devito having a cannon of an arm and can throw lasers, the defense might spread out more because now we can get the ball out quicker on WR screens, which will then open up the run game up the middle for us.

I think the progression from Dungey to Devito will be interesting to watch, but we still have one more game to watch the warrior go to battle one more time

It'll be tough to get another 9 wins next year. But with that said, I look at the schedule and I think we can win every single game. We won't, but I just don't see those built in losses I'm used to. Clemson at home in front of 49,444 fans, it'll be a good one!
No doubt 9 wins is tough, but on paper, we can sweep our OOC, and the only obvious game on the conference schedule where we won't be favored as of right now is vs Clemson.

Teams can get better though. Very few predicted our break out. So I do anticipate that we'll have games that are more challenging than they look to be right now.

It's ok to think big next season though.

I see 10 or more and here’s why. Adams upgrades our Rb substantially with mo getting rest of carries. We add wr from m st who is our speed guy which will make them play deeper than they want and leave all under stuff to slots. Will also open r unnin game. I think our defense makes a big jump with all of our secondary kids back scoop Fred Mill trill foster Cisco Corley and stritz. Also Jonas who I haven’t heard anything from him or about him. Ends will be sick. Inside will be good too. I can’t wait.

No doubt 9 wins is tough, but on paper, we can sweep our OOC, and the only obvious game on the conference schedule where we won't be favored as of right now is vs Clemson.

Teams can get better though. Very few predicted our break out. So I do anticipate that we'll have games that are more challenging than they look to be right now.

It's ok to think big next season though.

Yeah, I dunno man, we're just gonna have to agree to agree on this one.

To do it will need to stay as healthy as this year. It’s an unknown variable

To do it will need to stay as healthy as this year. It’s an unknown variable

Yep, but all you can do is look at the schedule and returning roster. And the team wasn't injury free last year, just not devestating.

I will miss the seniors, but I think HCDB has done a good job in recruiting for depth and developing talent.

Add to the above that we get Clemson in the Dome, FSU will be in year 2 of Taggert (though I believe they will be better, just not up to HCDB/Orange better), Louisville in disarray, NCState losing a lot of talent, the slate is looking good!

I see 10 or more and here’s why. Adams upgrades our Rb substantially with mo getting rest of carries. We add wr from m st who is our speed guy which will make them play deeper than they want and leave all under stuff to slots. Will also open r unnin game. I think our defense makes a big jump with all of our secondary kids back scoop Fred Mill trill foster Cisco Corley and stritz. Also Jonas who I haven’t heard anything from him or about him. Ends will be sick. Inside will be good too. I can’t wait.

All good points, but you have to factor in a learning curve for TD. i do think he will be VERY good, but might not til 2020. If so, that's no knock on him. We have to remember this team most likely isnt bowl eligible without ED and is an abomination the 2-3 years prior. ED made it work this year with wrs below average and lbs learning on the job. Play of both lines and ED staying on the field is what did it for this years team.

All going to pin on TD I think. He comes out and really has a grasp of this offense, there won’t be anyone that we can’t beat. 9 wins would be the drop dead minimum.

If TD comes out and looks green (I half expect this) then 7/8 wins is probably more in the wheelhouse.

Either was, as of right now, it’s looking like it’s going to be a FUN team to watch next season. Can’t wait!!

2019 is going to be a real interesting year since we are losing Dungey and Slayton. Both of them have been anchors on each side of the ball so replacing them will be difficult, but we do return a lot.

Devito is exciting and him getting some vauable game experience this year should pay dividends during the early stage of 2019. Devito also has the luxury of a returning senior runningback and Abdul Adams getting to play. We lose Ravian Pierce and Jamal Custis but neither are irreplaceable. I think Ed Hendrix surprises and is starting opposite of Taj Harris on the outside with Nykiem/Riley in the middle. Tight end we will lose athleticism but Ravian also had a bad habit of costing us penalty yards. I've always liked Aaron Hackett and Rex Culpepper could be interesting. The oline loses a lot of experience so it should be expected that we will see a drop in their overall play but I'm optimistic.

Slayton has been a monster and crucial for much of our successes but I like Mckinley WIlliams, Josh Black, and Kenneth Ruff. I don't think they are necessarily Slayton but the drop-off isn't as severe as I thought it would be back in August. Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman returning is obviously ideal and Kingsley Jonathan is a good rotational guy with potential. Linebacker will be an interesting battle because we have a lot of talent but very little production. You have to assume Armstrong sees significant snaps since he's strong in coverage and Shy seems to have proven himself to the staff so I'd like for him to take that next step to being a beast, like he has been on special teams. The other spot should be a battle between many and I really don't know who will win but I think there will be a lot of rotation throughout the year and during games, like we did in the second half of this year. It's a shame we don't have a season more with Guthrie. We return basically our whole secondary so building on that experience and talent will be great (may lose Cordy). Fredrick and Scoop will be seniors, Melifonwu looked good in his game time (he did struggle vs. NC State), and Trill will be great. I actually thought Stritzinger did decent in his playing time too. We return Foster and Cisco at safety so that makes that easy, especially considering Cisco is an all-american. On top of that, we are also adding quite a bit of talent to our defensive backs with the current make-up of our recruiting class.

There's a lot to look forward to for 2019. I'm excited for the bowl game and for what is to come beyond that.

A lot of this hinges on the OL and continued growth from the defense. We’re going to give up points until the young DBs grow up and linebacker isn’t a constant revolving door. If the OL improves and allows TD time, and they open holes in the red zone, then the offense will be much better than the dungey era.

Babers needs to improve on clock mgt in 2019. Still too much Andy Reid style mistakes.

All good points, but you have to factor in a learning curve for TD. i do think he will be VERY good, but might not til 2020. If so, that's no knock on him. We have to remember this team most likely isnt bowl eligible without ED and is an abomination the 2-3 years prior. ED made it work this year with wrs below average and lbs learning on the job. Play of both lines and ED staying on the field is what did it for this years team.
I do agree with that but having a hr guy like Adams who people say is a type of kid that if Neal gets 5 Adams shoulda had 8 and so on. Our groups are gonna be much better this year and Td is gonna have to run a bit. Not Dungey crazy kicking people but extend the play. I still think 10 or more and could be a lights out year if Td figures the run part earlier. If he doesn’t and falters at all we have Chance so we are good no matter. First time in a long time I can say that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom