2019 Transfers | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Transfers

More to the story?
He is making this particular road trip to visit campuses in the south. We are north and nm should be concluded than weighing his options. He has not said yes or no to anyone.

He is making this particular road trip to visit campuses in the south. We are north and nm should be concluded than weighing his options. He has not said yes or no to anyone.

How do you know this?

What do all those programs have in common?

Better weather. Aside from snowfall totals, Boston and Syracuse have similar weather. Duke, UNC, UVA and JHU all have more temperate weather patterns.

It sounds like his subject matter is less objective and more subjective for his choice of major, which means the educational institution unfortunately matters. I am of the opinion that going to college for a more objective subject matter, it shouldn't matter what college you go to; a cell is a cell no matter if you go to University of Phoenix or Harvard.

Hope laxsummit is right, but this seems be pretty emphatic that he does not want to play for Syracuse. Still have a strong team for next season.

As far as actual results both in terms of playoffs and regular season, we have done objectively just as good or better than 3 of those schools on his list in the past couple years (Hopkins UNC and Cornell). Clearly there are more factors on his mind than just the quality of the team. One factor across the board is that all six of those schools are considered better than Cuse in terms of academics, a common factor in transfers. I am disappointed but don’t think this is necessarily symbolic of a massive decline in the program or anything like that. Glad we went after him and tried to make it happen. Only thing that really sucks is that we play all these schools!

Certainly appreciate the staff going after him and offering 22, nice to see us think outside the box. That said if the reports are true that were not even getting a visit that's a bad sign. A decade ago were probably right there in getting him. Just not the same program right now.

Former Boston University All-American attackman Chris Gray has whittled down his list and has several campus visits scheduled for next week, according to sources close to the situation.

Duke, Johns Hopkins, North Carolina and Virginia are said to be the favorites to secure Gray's services, though Cornell and Yale are still in the picture albeit dark-horses.

A previous report by College Crosse's Chris Jastrzembski, who first tweeted out some of the potential suitors on Thursday, said Syracuse is in the mix. They were one of many programs that reached out after he entered the NCAA's transfer portal, however, Syracuse is not a contender to land Gray.
Sounds like he wants to head south.

Certainly appreciate the staff going after him and offering 22, nice to see us think outside the box. That said if the reports are true that were not even getting a visit that's a bad sign. A decade ago were probably right there in getting him. Just not the same program right now.

And once you’re relegated to this status, it’s hard to rise above it. Desko faces some tough obstacles. We’ve been out of the spotlight for so long, many recruits no longer recognize us as a top-tier program.

We certainly are big fans of small but mighty defense guys. If I am reading this correctly then he just has one year of eligibility left. This would actually be the year to bring a guy in since we lost two starting guys at close D.

We certainly are big fans of small but mighty defense guys. If I am reading this correctly then he just has one year of eligibility left. This would actually be the year to bring a guy in since we lost two starting guys at close D.

With Fernandez back healthy and at a similar stature I think its unlikely SU will be interested especially with two highly rated LSM's coming in this fall.

With Fernandez back healthy and at a similar stature I think its unlikely SU will be interested especially with two highly rated LSM's coming in this fall.
Didn’t realize he was an lsm. That changes things definitely. But I am in general slightly worried about who replaces Bomberry and Cunningham. A lot of guys who could end up being great (Murphy, Zach Lee, DePietro, Staats) but all have very little actual game experience. Bringing in a guy who has played every game for three years sounds relatively secure.

Didn’t realize he was an lsm. That changes things definitely. But I am in general slightly worried about who replaces Bomberry and Cunningham. A lot of guys who could end up being great (Murphy, Zach Lee, DePietro, Staats) but all have very little actual game experience. Bringing in a guy who has played every game for three years sounds relatively secure.

Your point above is why I am in favor moving Kennedy to close. He is an elite defender and will be Mellen's replacement the following season anyway so why not bump him down now and have to elite close defenders. The third spot would be up for grabs but between Murphy and Staats alone you have two crease defenders who are both well thought off and Murphy looked excellent in limited PT. Assuming DePietro is back he will likely have benefited from this past RS year and could see time in man down and giving Mellen/Kennedy a rest.

Grill is not an lsm. Good close defender but dont see the fit as he's even shorter than Mellen, that combo would be vulnerable to size even if bookended around a big. Several candidates who could match capable defense of the departed though the magical stick skills of Bomberry will be difficult to replace

Your point above is why I am in favor moving Kennedy to close. He is an elite defender and will be Mellen's replacement the following season anyway so why not bump him down now and have to elite close defenders. The third spot would be up for grabs but between Murphy and Staats alone you have two crease defenders who are both well thought off and Murphy looked excellent in limited PT. Assuming DePietro is back he will likely have benefited from this past RS year and could see time in man down and giving Mellen/Kennedy a rest.

You are Slowly but surely pulling me over to the move Kennedy to close defense team. Still would have similar concerns about depth/experience at LSM but those gaps could be easier to fill than the two major ones in the defense. If Kennedy moves down then we have either one of the two promising LSM recruits (Michael Page and Landon Clary) or Staats to step up and join Fernandez. Another potential option is to give Helmer a long stick again. He was quite impressive playing LSM as a freshman. But we may need him at SSDM since Murphy is also a top candidate for moving down. Then the only other setback would be not having Kennedy’s incredible transition/wing play. I suppose we could still have him on the wing for some faceoffs. Fernandez is no slouch in transition either way.

Not sure we are in the position to be telling All-Conference players "pass", but agree that Grill probably ins't the right fit for our defense given his size. You can have three very good defensemen but if they don't play well together as a unit they will give up a lot of goals. Like the attack, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the close defense seeing as there aren't "clear" replacements for Bomberry and Cunningham. Still feel more confident in the defense rebounding though, unlike others I was impressed with DiPietro in his limited playing time and I feel confident in either Kennedy/Staats/Murphy filling the third role.

Biggest concern for me is leadership - Mellen doesn't strike me as the most vocal guy and sometimes I think he focuses too much on his one-on-one matchup, and groundball play. Like Ivorylax pointed out Bomberry was a master on groundballs and saved SU from having to play extra defense countless times. Size-wise I think the team should be in good shape, most names mentioned besides Kennedy are in the 6'-6'2 and 200-230 range. And with Kennedy I don't think size matters.

Not sure we are in the position to be telling All-Conference players "pass", but agree that Grill probably ins't the right fit for our defense given his size. You can have three very good defensemen but if they don't play well together as a unit they will give up a lot of goals. Like the attack, there is a lot of uncertainty surrounding the close defense seeing as there aren't "clear" replacements for Bomberry and Cunningham. Still feel more confident in the defense rebounding though, unlike others I was impressed with DiPietro in his limited playing time and I feel confident in either Kennedy/Staats/Murphy filling the third role.

Biggest concern for me is leadership - Mellen doesn't strike me as the most vocal guy and sometimes I think he focuses too much on his one-on-one matchup, and groundball play. Like Ivorylax pointed out Bomberry was a master on groundballs and saved SU from having to play extra defense countless times. Size-wise I think the team should be in good shape, most names mentioned besides Kennedy are in the 6'-6'2 and 200-230 range. And with Kennedy I don't think size matters.

Bomberry had an excellent Sr season and as noted was a beast on ground balls this pas season. He came out of scrums multiple times with gb's that I have no idea how he came up with them. He will absolutely be missed. That said a core of Mellen, Kennedy, and a couple of really good SSDM's including an AA is a great place to start. Fernandez another year removed from his injury and Helmer able to play LSM or SSDM should give SU another excellent defense, not to mention getting Porter back for a second season where he should be even better.

how about Kennedy's brother? we don't hear much about him.

A few comments .

Thought along same lines regarding BKennedy, based on position listings he appeared always slated for cd but then proved too valuable at lsm when shifted so might be underestimating the value of having a aggressive and fast AA talent up top in space, opposing mids rarely challenged him nor was their need for much help and he gets us transitioning at every opportunity. Maybe shifted low in certain matchups but otherwise a full time move ala Firman likely does not happen until next year after Mellen graduates and others further develop.
Expecting Dami to beast in return and the continued growth of Barlow and Smart at ssdm to allow Helmer or Murphy to shift to cd if needed. Think either capable of replacing Cunnigham. DiPietro looked good in middle against bigger att when subbed in for Bomberry in 17. Dont think Staats has enough speed for lsm but another candidate for middle of cd with stick skills that most resembles Bomberry. Younger Kennedy is darkhorse candidate, has decent size and excellent lateral movement . Know little about Hull . As far as incoming defenseman. have only seen Page but like Clary's tape. Lee certainly has good size.

Biggest concern for me is leadership - Mellen doesn't strike me as the most vocal guy and sometimes I think he focuses too much on his one-on-one matchup, and groundball play.

You are unfortunately spot on about Mellen. He truly is one of the best 1 v 1 guys in the nation, and I would say actually #1 when it comes to going up against the smaller and faster types, but I have seen too many tentative slides and lapses on team defense to be perfectly comfortable with him. He also has a tendency to quickly slide to his man if they get switched off somehow. Did that once when Dearth was on Spencer and once when a short stick was on Teat in the 2018 playoff game, both with predictably devastating results. That really does show a hyper focus on the pre-assigned matchup. He obviously gets a pass for this on some level since he also shuts complete studs out of the game entirely, but he isn’t 100% perfect.

how about Kennedy's brother? we don't hear much about him.

From what little I saw of him in the team v team scrimmage last year he seems slightly taller but a good deal skinnier than his older brother. Didn't appear to be as crazy fast as older Kennedy either. My guess is that he will stay as a reserve unless he develops more physically.

Doesn't surprise . Reporters/journalists today rush to be first to a story without confirming only to later correct. Sorry Newhouse but it is what it is.

Gray is on the free agent tour exploring his options and fits, the schools being visited are doing the same .

Unless it comes directly from his mouth then his priorities, preferences and intent are not truly known. Wouldn't shock me if he returns to BU or winds up at a solid academic school supposedly not in contention such as Syracuse .

Time will tell

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom