2019 Transfers | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2019 Transfers

Hmmm overall this is a pretty great result. UNC just doesn't really scare me compared to Duke or Hopkins or gawd forbid UVA with Gray. Losing Timmy Kelly their only serious attack threat last year along with Matthews who also leaves, losing Rowlett who was a monster, along with a couple other long poles. Mediocre at faceoffs and short stick D. This could have gone waaaayy worse. Mellen v Gray will be fun to watch!

I doubt whether Duke had the scholarship money to make Gray a big offer. If you have a big recruiting class coming in like Duke does, you have probably promised almost all of it away.

This transfer portal is increasing player movement, lacrosse off season beginning to resemble the arms race of NBA free agency . ACC was already the best conference top to bottom and just got stronger

Gray is very good but actually prefer Scanlan who would be a better fit for our team. Be a seamless transition on several fronts and he'd make a difference. Please let it happen.

This transfer portal is increasing player movement, lacrosse off season beginning to resemble the arms race of NBA free agency . ACC was already the best conference top to bottom and just got stronger

Gray is very good but actually prefer Scanlan who would be a better fit for our team. Be a seamless transition on several fronts and he'd make a difference. Please let it happen.

I think Scanlan could also be a bigger boost to the program than just as a player. Syracuse has struggled recently getting the local Native American kids despite the excellent scholarship opportunity outside of athletics. Scanlan coming to Syracuse and being successful may just restart our pipeline of talented Native Americans coming to the hill.

Whoever tweeted that is not from Upstate New York. "The 90"? Really? Hardly anyone outside of SoCal refers to interstate highways in that manner.

Agreed it is the Thruway...never called it 90.

However all others I call by numbers 481, 81, 690

Erie Boulevard not route 5?

According to Twitter, they are from Syracuse. It’s just weird they call it that.

So it's probably not this way anywhere else in the State, but in the Capital District, we do refer to the section that runs from Albany to the Mass border as "I-90." You get generally get onto it though from either the Thruway, Northway, or Mass Pike/Turnpike.
He was also an IMG guy so he has most likely played with Jared Fernandez, and even more likely has played with incoming recruits Sean Donnelly and JJ Lewandowski.

He also played for Tiffany and Marr with Iroquois Nationals. :(

Hmmm overall this is a pretty great result. UNC just doesn't really scare me compared to Duke or Hopkins or gawd forbid UVA with Gray. Losing Timmy Kelly their only serious attack threat last year along with Matthews who also leaves, losing Rowlett who was a monster, along with a couple other long poles. Mediocre at faceoffs and short stick D. This could have gone waaaayy worse. Mellen v Gray will be fun to watch!

UNC will be a good offensive team next year (Gray is still the only real dodging threat) and good in the goal but after that they have a lot of question marks. At FOGO they struggled to have an elite option emerge and the entire starting close D graduates plus I think one of the SSDMs as well. Rowlett is a massive loss as he is far and away their best defender. They do get Bowen back from injury but you wonder how long it will take to get him back to 100% not to mention he got hurt pre-season in his frosh year so he has no D-1 experience. Matthews and Timmy Kelly are tough losses as well, very similiar to us losing Voigt and Solomon. Matthews ran out of the box as well as last year and really helped solidify that mid-line when UNC went to an all frosh attack. He's a big loss. UNC does bring back that all Jr mid line they ran at times this past season in William Perry, Justin Anderson and Cook. The problem is Anderson and Cook are wildly inconsistent and got bumped to the 2nd line during the season at times. Their likely to rely heavily on Trippi and Perry on the 1st mid line and will likely have to bump one of the frosh attack to the midfield with Gray coming in.

“The 90” is a Buffalo thing. It’s the only upstate city (and I’ve lived/worked in Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse) where I routinely heard inhabitants call the thruway “the 90”

It might be called 90, or I-90, or even Interstate 90 by us Upstate locals. But "The 90"? That's right out of SoCal.

For anyone 30+ years old, it surely is.
And anyone under 30 would have to ask it what it wants to be called for fear of triggering the inanimate object.

Back on topic - seems like Gray wanted to go south to warmer weather more so than anything else. Or he's looking for the same academic benefits that the Tar Heel basketball team receives. Best of luck to him!

And anyone under 30 would have to ask it what it wants to be called for fear of triggering the inanimate object.

Back on topic - seems like Gray wanted to go south to warmer weather more so than anything else. Or he's looking for the same academic benefits that the Tar Heel basketball team receives. Best of luck to him!
That stuff's over man. It's time to move on.

A few notes (1 of 3): - Correction: I said that D'Alto (who some have called the most underrated recruit in the class) visited MD & UVA - he made it to College Park, but not C'ville. - Both programs are among the contenders for Scanlan. More on that race shortly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom