Josh Zawada, Hill Academy (Ont.), Michigan
Graham Bundy, MICDS (Mo.), Georgetown

Face-Off
Gavin Tygh, Penn Charter (Pa.), Virginia

LSM/Defense
Will Frisoli, St. Sebastian's (Mass.), Duke
Defense Scott Bower, Episcopal Dallas (Texas), Virginia
Kenny Brower, Massapequa (N.Y.), Duke

Curious if any SU recruits make it this year. If they are strictly following their ranking list, Lewandowski and Page are the only Orange players on the Top 100 and come in at 79 and 80. Can't remember the last time SU didn't send someone to the UA All-American Game.

Inside Lacrosse - Rankinglist

I’m not totally down on the class. A lot of them seem like they could play sooner or later. Donnelly and Swenson seem like good attack prospects. I like Clary and Woody too.

Donnelly could potentially make a solid voigt replacement.

Curious if any SU recruits make it this year. If they are strictly following their ranking list, Lewandowski and Page are the only Orange players on the Top 100 and come in at 79 and 80. Can't remember the last time SU didn't send someone to the UA All-American Game.

Inside Lacrosse - Rankinglist

I think Lewandowski has a shot, might be a third wave guy. Obviously we would have Zawada if not for the last second flip, still not thrilled with that one.

The top 100 rankings might as well be called the Duke and UVA shows, jesus they have like 8 of the first 10 guys between them. I hope the UVA recruits realize that Tiffany can't waive a magic wand and get more then 6 offensive guys out there at at time. There are a lot of transfers coming in their future.

It is interesting that 3 of Duke's 5 guys in the top 20 are defensive players. They do have #8 Dyson Williams attackman from the Hill academy. ( It appears Williams is a Canadian.) So Duke might not really be building up the offensive powerhouse that they are known for.

Even with UVa, while Shellenberger is the top attackman and Tygh is FO man, Bowers is a d-man; and the two guys out near 30, Matsui and Giulieri are D-men also.

Inside lacrosse certainly misses a lot of good D-men in their rankings. Desko is good at finding them.

I’m not totally down on the class. A lot of them seem like they could play sooner or later. Donnelly and Swenson seem like good attack prospects. I like Clary and Woody too.
Revisiting this, Zach Lee is a very highly regarded defenseman from Philly. He was a US Lacrosse All American last year and was on the phillylacrosse.com first team. I have no idea where he fits in the IL top 100 or if he'll be invited to the UAAA game, but I expect him to compete for playing time pretty quickly at SU, especially considering Bomberry, Cunningham and Fusco graduate. Honoring the 2018 All-Phillylacrosse.com First-Team Boys’ squad | PhillyLacrosse.com

I'm not even looking at FOGOs or goalies, because I have no idea how they project into college. This class isn't bad. It might lack a star attackman that they team could use, but other than that I like it.

The top 100 rankings might as well be called the Duke and UVA shows, jesus they have like 8 of the first 10 guys between them. I hope the UVA recruits realize that Tiffany can't waive a magic wand and get more then 6 offensive guys out there at at time. There are a lot of transfers coming in their future.

Also...still not sold on Tiffany as a mastermind. For the amount of talent that they have, this should be a much better team. I'm not sure he gets the most out of what he has.

Revisiting this, Zach Lee is a very highly regarded defenseman from Philly. He was a US Lacrosse All American last year and was on the phillylacrosse.com first team. I have no idea where he fits in the IL top 100 or if he'll be invited to the UAAA game, but I expect him to compete for playing time pretty quickly at SU, especially considering Bomberry, Cunningham and Fusco graduate. Honoring the 2018 All-Phillylacrosse.com First-Team Boys’ squad | PhillyLacrosse.com

I'm not even looking at FOGOs or goalies, because I have no idea how they project into college. This class isn't bad. It might lack a star attackman that they team could use, but other than that I like it.

Let's hope Camden Hay is that star attack we're looking for in 2020. Hopefully our success and Albany's failures will help out those commitment change rumors to rest.

It is interesting that 3 of Duke's 5 guys in the top 20 are defensive players. They do have #8 Dyson Williams attackman from the Hill academy. ( It appears Williams is a Canadian.)
I was surprised to read that Williams will be only the 2nd ever Canadian to play at Duke. Zack Greer was the 1st.

I was surprised to read that Williams will be only the 2nd ever Canadian to play at Duke. Zack Greer was the 1st.

You might think I'm exaggerating, but since the Zack Greer era I have literally NEVER seen a Duke player score on a behind the back, backhand Lyle Thompson shot, twister, around the world, one handed, or any other fancy/entertaining shot you can think of. In fact in recent years I haven't even seen one score on an UNDERHAND shot! Maybe that freshman Leadmon had one against us that was almost underhand, but it's an extremely rare occurrence. They have had entertaining players and amazing offenses, but not a lot of swag. Lack of Canadians, Native Americans, and upstate New Yorkers, is a big part of that. Suprised they haven't explored the Canadian market more since the last one they had was one of the greatest goal scorers of all time.

From what I've gathered from Duke's coaching clinic videos and watching them play, they like attackmen that play very hard and have well-rounded games and can move a lot within an offense. Looking at their starting attack right now, Robertson is their "off-ball" guy, but even he can dodge.

I'm optimistic about this incoming recruiting class, but I guess I have questions. Is Jack Wood really coming? Is Lewandowski's slide down the recruiting rankings something to be overly concerned about? Is it okay to just have one true close defender coming in?

And no, being a UA-AA isn't the end all be all, but taking a look at this year's starters (I'll include Dordevic since he would be starting if not for injury), 60% of the starters were UA-AAs. That seems high for a success rate. Romano is not playing and Quinn has been in and out of the lineup, but other than the freshmen whom I'll reserve judgement for, I think being a UA-AA is a pretty telling predictor of success (Solomon, Voigt, Trimboli, Dordevic, Bomberry, Mellen) . One year off isn't the end of the world, but the 2021 class might not have any either. Just something to think about.

I'm optimistic about this incoming recruiting class, but I guess I have questions. Is Jack Wood really coming? Is Lewandowski's slide down the recruiting rankings something to be overly concerned about? Is it okay to just have one true close defender coming in?

And no, being a UA-AA isn't the end all be all, but taking a look at this year's starters (I'll include Dordevic since he would be starting if not for injury), 60% of the starters were UA-AAs. That seems high for a success rate. Romano is not playing and Quinn has been in and out of the lineup, but other than the freshmen whom I'll reserve judgement for, I think being a UA-AA is a pretty telling predictor of success (Solomon, Voigt, Trimboli, Dordevic, Bomberry, Mellen) . One year off isn't the end of the world, but the 2021 class might not have any either. Just something to think about.

Romano is no longer with the program, believe he transferred or is transferring. I certainly get your point about UA AA though. SU has had a pretty good run with them the last few years and if Zawada had stayed committed this would be a moot point. I suspect at least 2 or 3 of the decomitts in the next class will likely be UA AAs as well. I know some of the D guys in that class are pretty highly thought of so perhaps we see one or two from there.

Under Armour Announces Second Wave of Boys All-America Lacrosse Game Selections

Wave II: Boys’ Under Armour All-Americans
Attack

Michael Long, Delbarton (N.J.), Cornell
Robert Schain, Bullis (Md.), Penn
Alex Slusher, Oregon Episcopal (Ore.), Princeton
Dyson Williams, Hill Academy (Ont.), Duke

Midfield
Jake Caputo, Middle Creek (N.C.), Duke
Connor Drake, Salisbury (Conn.), Duke

Face-Off
Angelo Petrakis, Massapequa (N.Y.), Cornell

Defense
James Donaldson, Brother Rice (Mich.), Georgetown
Ben Finlay, Gonzaga (D.C.), Princeton
Cam Henry, McCallie (Tenn.), Duke

Goalie
Logan McNaney, Salisbury (Conn.), Maryland

I guess we are up to 2 at Maryland.
Duke is up to six.

Wave III: Boys’ Under Armour All-Americans
Attack/Midfield

Jack Sawyer, Calvert Hall (Md.), Maryland

Midfield
Bryson Shaw, Bullis (Md.), Ohio State (football)
Grant Mitchell, Calvert Hall (Md.), Ohio State
Sammy English, Culver (Ind.), Princeton
Reilly Gray, Chaminade (N.Y.), Notre Dame

Face-Off
Andrew Tyeryar, St. Stephen’s & St. Agnes (Va.), North Carolina
Alec Stathakis, Culver (Ind.), Denver

Defense
Quentin Matsui, Eden Prairie (Minn.), Virginia

Goalie
Christian Tomei, Oxbridge Academy (Fla.), Ohio State
Tim Marcille, Gonzaga (D.C.), Johns Hopkins
Liam Entenmann, Chaminade (N.Y.), Notre Dame

44 players in 4 waves. This is only the 3rd wave.
SneakyHandsomeAssassinbug-size_restricted.gif

It looks like they have chosen the 4 goalies and 4 face-off men.
7 long sticks, so they will probably name at least 3 more there.
They have named Sawyer an attack/midfielder, so they can consider him either. Although, Sawyer has only been playing attack this Spring.
So 3 d-men, 2-3 attackmen, which leaves 6-5 midfielders to go. Perhaps they will go with another attack/midfielder.

Last edited:
Why are the people making these teams obsessed with having football commits in the game ? Last year with Ricky I was annoyed but it made sense he was a top 10 player. I would have a problem with Bryson Shaw being on the team even if he wasn’t a football player. Kids having a great year but he’s not one of the best 20 or so middies in the country. Two years in a row this makes no sense for the kid whose spot he takes. It really doesn’t make sense for him, puts him at risk to get hurt. I swear they must do this for ratings or something, I’ve never seen a football commit in the McDonald’s game.

I tend to agree with you. It seems sort of like the people making the selections think having a college football recruit helps to justify lacrosse.

I tend to agree with you. It seems sort of like the people making the selections think having a college football recruit helps to justify lacrosse.
I couldn’t agree more. It seems that they want to say on the broadcast that they have a guy that’s going D1 in football that loves lacrosse, but he picked football... The higher ups that are marketing lacrosse don’t do a great job. How many years did they call the Tewaaraton the heisman of lacrosse. Lacrosse sells itself they just need to let it be it’s own sport not try to compare it. Bryson is a good player but he get this spot based on his football commitment not his talent alone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom