2020 Commencement on the Quad | Syracusefan.com

2020 Commencement on the Quad

Pretty big news. They better hope the weather cooperates. Even in mid May, Syracuse is a mixed bag. It snowed the week of my Commencement. It got warmer as the weekend approached, but you can't guarantee sunny and 70.

Pretty big news. They better hope the weather cooperates. Even in mid May, Syracuse is a mixed bag. It snowed the week of my Commencement. It got warmer as the weekend approached, but you can't guarantee sunny and 70.

You can do a tent there, also. Costly but doable.

My suggestion:

Buy some portable bleachers. Put them on the eastern side of the SU soccer stadium and move them for graduation The men’s team is doing well drawing fans, plays a top notch schedule and needs to be expanded. Maybe buy some more for Coyne, which has a limited number of seats for field hockey, another strong program that could use more seating capacity. There would surely be a need for more seating; and additional bleachers could be rented.

And you could set the bleachers up in Manley instead of on the Quad in the event of bad weather.

Commencement on the quad would be an exceptional setting. I like that. If it rains then tents? That will take some scheduling but really the setting would be really fantastic.

Last edited:
A ton of schools do outdoors and then if it gets really bad something completely different,

what did SU do before the dome?

Agree if the weather cooperates its a perfect setting. But wonder why Manley wasnt considered?

most places when they get pushed indoors uses tickets to lower attendance. Other places go to separate events for colleges

SU will notify 2020 graduates and their families about the event schedule, weather contingency plans and activities within the coming weeks. Provost Michele Wheatly and Dolan Evanovich, senior vice president for enrollment and the student experience, made the announcement in a Thursday email to campus community. Updates will be posted to SU’s Commencement website beginning in October.

do they really get 20k for dome gradutations? how many kids we talking?

Figure maybe 5,000 graduates. SU's enrollment in 2017 was 22,484.

If each graduate brings only two family members, we're over 15,000. And everyone has more than 2 family guests.

Then figure in Admins, Faculty, Trustees, etc...

EDIT:

More than 7,000 people graduated last year:

Last edited:

If each graduate brings only two family members, we're over 15,000. And everyone has more than 2 family guests.

Don't they do separate ceremonies for the various colleges?
(or if not - maybe they should for this one, given the constraints)

I honestly don't really remember much of mine - we pulled an all-nighter, watched the sun rise from the roof of my screen name address, then went to Denny's for breakfast, then rolled over to the Dome.

I do remember feeling nauseous the entire time, and really enjoying Malcolm Forbes' speech
(he always spoke extemporaneously) -
which basically boiled down to -"do what turns you on" in your life and career. :cool:

S

I honestly don't really remember much of mine - we pulled an all-nighter, watched the sun rise from the roof of my screen name address, then went to Denny's for breakfast, then rolled over to the Dome.

I do remember feeling nauseous the entire time, and really enjoying Malcolm Forbes' speech
which basically boiled down to -"do what turns you on" in your life and career. :cool:

They do. The one with your school is saturday and sunday is the entire university.

you probably get about 80% attendance so for 5K maybe 4K show up. But 15K is not a crqzy number when you have open ticket policies..

Easily get upwards of 20k. All of the colleges including graduate degrees attend the Commencement. There is an open ticket policy. My father, mother, brother, aunt, grandmothers and grandfather attended. That's just me. Consider how many people will show up especially if they're the first from their family to graduate college. I think SU will impose a ticket policy to keep the numbers manageable.

For the amount of money these kids pay to attend SU, the University can afford to have butlers standing by, one for each student, with an umbrella in hand.

i dont think you are getting 10+ in the quad though

You're not. SU doesn't have a state college quad. It's going to be interesting how the logistics are for an event of this magnitude.

You graduated in 1988. Me too.

At my sons graduation in May we had over 50,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom