2020 Face-Off Yearbook: Preseason Men's DI Media All-Americans | Syracusefan.com

2020 Face-Off Yearbook: Preseason Men's DI Media All-Americans

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

First Team
D Nick Mellen RSr. Syracuse

Second Team
M Chase Scanlan So. Syracuse
M Brendan Curry Jr.. Syracuse
G Drake Porter Sr. Syracuse

Third Team
SSDM Peter Dearth Jr. Syracuse
LSM Brett Kennedy RJr. Syracuse

Honorable Mention
M Tucker Dordevic RSo. Syracuse

First Team
D Nick Mellen RSr. Syracuse

Second Team
M Chase Scanlan So. Syracuse
M Brendan Curry Jr.. Syracuse
G Drake Porter Sr. Syracuse

Third Team
SSDM Peter Dearth Jr. Syracuse
LSM Brett Kennedy RJr. Syracuse

Honorable Mention
M Tucker Dordevic RSo. Syracuse

Please post this in Rehfuss' & Trimboli's lockers.

Rehfuss will be one of these teams at the end of the year. Mark it down.

Please post this in Rehfuss' & Trimboli's lockers.

Rehfuss will be one of these teams at the end of the year. Mark it down.
Agreed. Trimboli is a 2 time HM AA but doesn't make the cut? Come on.

Agreed. Trimboli is a 2 time HM AA but doesn't make the cut? Come on.

Trimboli should be where Curry is if I am being honest. I am a huge fan of both but Trimboli was much consistent last year and his shooting % was much better then Curry who had to many games where he was MIA. Curry is a good player but I have to be honest he is a bit overhyped when you look strictly at the numbers, he has to get more consistent with his shooting which I hope he does this season.

Well we certainly can't complain too much with the list this year huh. Pretty insane jump compared to last year's list that's for sure. I think curry is an incredible talent that has not yet reached his ceiling, but at this point he still should be in the 3rd team/hm AA range. I think both Jack Kelly at Penn St. (my favorite non-Orange player to watch) and Demaio at MD had more impressive middie seasons last year. Curry's shooting while greatly improved from his freshman year was indeed still low percentage and inconsistent. If I was putting this together I would have both him and Trimboli on 3rd team. Trimboli is the far better shooter but Curry is far better at drawing slides/attention of the defense, which is vital for an offense to succeed.

I guess it comes down to what you are valuing when putting these lists together - past achievements or future accomplishments? I think both Curry and Trimboli are on opposite ends of that spectrum. Curry definitely has more potential than Trimboli, but Trimboli has been incredibly consistent the past three seasons. Interesting to have two players on the same team who play the same position and put up the same amount of points, be viewed so differently. Agree both should be on the list. And we might be selling Trimboli short - with all the attention being paid to his teammates, he could put up much better numbers if hes being guarded by short sticks.

Interesting that they listed Scanlan as a middie even though every report has stated he will play attack. I think he's definitely worthy of recognition but interested to see how he would stack up to the competition - its a really impressive group of attackmen this year.

And while I hope Dordevic and Rhefuss will be All Americans by the end of the year, I think either one of them making the preseason list this year is misguided. Again, its back to the potential vs already logged achievements. I like Rhefuss, but even with last years down season I'm not sure he stacks up against the other attackmen listed. I feel more confident about Dordevic making All American but he has a lot to prove. SU will be very good on offense this year, but there is still only one ball to go around - I can't imagine the entire starting lineup will be All American by the end of the year. Who sacrifices their scoring totals might be just as important as the guys who put the ball in the back of the net.

Glad to see Connor Kirst from Villanova on the 2nd team... he's from my town. Great kid, great family. His brother Cole is currently on the U19 USA roster for 2020, with only one more player to be cut. 5 brothers - so far Connor is at Villanova, Cole and Colin are at Lehigh, CJ is committed to Cornell as a 2020. Their youngest brother is in 8th grade. Sadly, their dad passed away from a heart attack about 5 years ago. He was a great lax coach who got me into coaching as well.

Well we certainly can't complain too much with the list this year huh. Pretty insane jump compared to last year's list that's for sure. I think curry is an incredible talent that has not yet reached his ceiling, but at this point he still should be in the 3rd team/hm AA range. I think both Jack Kelly at Penn St. (my favorite non-Orange player to watch) and Demaio at MD had more impressive middie seasons last year. Curry's shooting while greatly improved from his freshman year was indeed still low percentage and inconsistent. If I was putting this together I would have both him and Trimboli on 3rd team. Trimboli is the far better shooter but Curry is far better at drawing slides/attention of the defense, which is vital for an offense to succeed.

Had no clue about Jack Kelly so checked him out after mentioned by some,. Whew
42g /9/51 on 54 sh%, 76% sog in 15 games is an eye opener , right up there statistically with the standouts, guess overshadowed by Ament and Okeefe.

Im a huge fan of players who pressure and influence and must be planned and accounted for. Constabile and Aiken are obviously two mids that come immediately to mind . Then you have those who may not necessarily post the largest or most efficient numbers but who are dangerous X factors. Cuse fortunately has a few and think that talent was rightfully recognized

Huge fan of Curry , players such as him and Montgomery of Duke are more impactful than mere numbers , their athleticism makes them difficult covers for the best poles and some shots off either hand by them are nearly indefensible ,their use of speed n bodies are different but both are 'go to types as needed due to ability to fire away despite good covers . Both separate and just as importantly make the right plays with the willingness to pass off their breakdowns. Critique of Curry's accuracy understood but it's reasonable to expect that to improve given his work ethic . Rarely ever see one of his shots be a easy save and believe most misfires maintain possession as well. Wish their were analytics on that .

Biased but our first two lines as a whole are as any good as any.

I tend to prefer Fairman a tad to A.DeMaio at midfield. A.DeMaio did outscore Fairman by a little (46pts to 42 pts), but Fairman is more of a 2-way midfielder. Fairman does a solid job on defense, and Tillman uses him in the clearing game. Fairman also had a long pole on him all season. The only real knock on Fairman might be that there were some games where he didn't do much offensively. In my opinion, Fairman should be on the 2nd team AA - but after all it is only Inside Lacrosse's selections . Don't get me wrong I like A.DeMaio's game a lot too. It will be a pleasure to watch both this Spring.

I tend to prefer Fairman a tad to A.DeMaio at midfield. A.DeMaio did outscore Fairman by a little (46pts to 42 pts), but Fairman is more of a 2-way midfielder. Fairman does a solid job on defense, and Tillman uses him in the clearing game. Fairman also had a long pole on him all season. The only real knock on Fairman might be that there were some games where he didn't do much offensively. In my opinion, Fairman should be on the 2nd team AA - but after all it is only Inside Lacrosse's selections . Don't get me wrong I like A.DeMaio's game a lot too. It will be a pleasure to watch both this Spring.

Dang I always forget that Fairman is a true middie and doesn't play attack. If they indeed don't play attack (or get attack levels of playing time) then they are not getting nearly enough attention in the press/AA votes. Those are great middie stats. Fairman scored a couple goals from behind against Cornell 2 years ago and I have thought of him as an attack ever since.

One attackman who never gets his proper due is Laviano. He benefits from attention given to others but scoring 51 goals is quite impressive irregardless.

Like TY but shaking my head , know he cant catch every game and views can be influenced either way by seeing a particular game or video but cmon, Fake over Mellen? Bucaro was just one of a couple who toyed with Fake. Bigs Spencer and Henisburg gave Mellen hard time but they did same to others , #11 has also done well on several bigs such as Cloutier.. He's the best on ball defender in game .Kennedy is not just a speedster, he's one of the better covers at lsm and engages physically unlike most. Constabile lost him on a highlight shake, happens to the best but there is a reason why Desko is shifting him around to matchup agaisnt the better offensive players. He'll be a AA cd next year if he moves there full time. Right of TY to compliment Dearth as terrific but then picking Pugliese over him makes little sense to me , sorry but do not get that from any angle and watched both in the UNC -Cuse games. Cmon. At least had Curry on 2nd but even that watered down with comment about 2nd and 3rd team quality. Pool of talent never been better. Relieved to see Porter on his 2nd team as was starting to wonder if TY had beef going with Cuse and here I was rooting for his Ravens

My bad on Pugliese, was thinking about another player from another school where Dearth somehow got snubbed for All ACC

Like TY but shaking my head , know he cant catch every game and views can be influenced either way by seeing a particular game or video but cmon, Fake over Mellen? Bucaro was just one of a couple who toyed with Fake. Bigs Spencer and Henisburg gave Mellen hard time but they did same to others , #11 has also done well on several bigs such as Cloutier.. He's the best on ball defender in game .Kennedy is not just a speedster, he's one of the better covers at lsm and engages physically unlike most. Constabile lost him on a highlight shake, happens to the best but there is a reason why Desko is shifting him around to matchup agaisnt the better offensive players. He'll be a AA cd next year if he moves there full time. Right of TY to compliment Dearth as terrific but then picking Pugliese over him makes little sense to me , sorry but do not get that from any angle and watched both in the UNC -Cuse games. Cmon. At least had Curry on 2nd but even that watered down with comment about 2nd and 3rd team quality. Pool of talent never been better. Relieved to see Porter on his 2nd team as was starting to wonder if TY had beef going with Cuse and here I was rooting for his Ravens

Had a very similar reaction. Ty makes some very valid points, no doubt the Dordevic nomination is a bit strange, especially to leave off Trimboli. Indeed it does not make sense to list Scanlan as a midfielder - still an interesting exercise that he goes from second team midfielder to not listed as an attackman. But as Ty points out, the list of attackmen this year is extremely long. I do think that Scanlan deserves recognition, but fair enough. And while the arguments he makes against Mellen aren't wrong, I still think number 11 deserves more credit than he's being given - how many defenders won matchups against Nichtern, Patterson, Teat, Moore and Epstein just to name a few? I didn't watch many Yale games last year but defense was not their strong suit. What really gets me is his criticism of Kennedy - l've never heard anyone say his cover ability is lacking. Also I'd love to know what he means when he says he's impactful? That's a compliment he is paying him, but what attributes are those? I don't like it when people throw out coach speak to describe a player. Kennedy is a tremendous cover guy and most teams stayed as far away from him as possible last year.

Had a very similar reaction. Ty makes some very valid points, no doubt the Dordevic nomination is a bit strange, especially to leave off Trimboli. Indeed it does not make sense to list Scanlan as a midfielder - still an interesting exercise that he goes from second team midfielder to not listed as an attackman. But as Ty points out, the list of attackmen this year is extremely long. I do think that Scanlan deserves recognition, but fair enough. And while the arguments he makes against Mellen aren't wrong, I still think number 11 deserves more credit than he's being given - how many defenders won matchups against Nichtern, Patterson, Teat, Moore and Epstein just to name a few? I didn't watch many Yale games last year but defense was not their strong suit. What really gets me is his criticism of Kennedy - l've never heard anyone say his cover ability is lacking. Also I'd love to know what he means when he says he's impactful? That's a compliment he is paying him, but what attributes are those? I don't like it when people throw out coach speak to describe a player. Kennedy is a tremendous cover guy and most teams stayed as far away from him as possible last year.

His Kennedy comment makes zero sense. Kennedy is clearly the #2 cover guy on the Orange after Mellen and when moved onto a player last year pretty much locked him down. Madonna from Hobart had a hat trick in a little over a quarter and SU put Kennedy on him vs the short stick who was on him and the dude didn't score a pt the rest of the game. Ditto the Rutgers game last year when we finally bumped him down to help on the Rutty attack and RU's offense slowed to a crawl after we put him on Charalambides. He's one of the top LSM's in the country and he's being bumped down because his cover skills are that good. His comment may pertain to some LSMs but it sure as hell doesn't pertain to him.

I don't have an issue with his Mellen comments as Mellen does struggle with really big attackmen but that was one game (Spencer) how about all the other guys he has shut down including multiple high end attackmen? Dude is a 1st team guy period. Still he put him 2nd team AA hard to get that upset about it to be honest.

I get his points about Scanlan but SU has arguably the best midfield in the country, have two guys in the top 6 isn't crazy at all. IF it's not Scanlan, Trimboli would be at least a 3rd teamer.

Just preseason clickbait but gotta comment. Mellen is as close to a shut down close defender as any with great feet. He makes All Decade here for a reason Best get scored on occasionally but you never see separation.agaisnt him unless picked off. Mellen should have been unaminous 1st team .AA. Kennedy d as good any.at up top position, perhaps blonde syndrome. Not sure how move to cd or Scanlan to attack affects them but impact to the real goal by doing what is best for team. Meanwhile Trimboli production always gets discounted. He'll have another good year n should be somewhere. on postseason lists. Dordevic inclusion was a projection but a wise one. Screw it ., see Yale getting respected by Vegas , Cuse is not. Last year scrimmage was a disaster so gonna be real test of where team is truly at. Enuff , back to focus on season at hand . Let's get this party started

Syracuse
There’s a lot to be excited about and a lot of reasons the Orange could be back to Championship Weekend: offensive coordinator Pat March joining the staff, Chase Scanlan joining the team, one of the nation’s best midfield units, and an elite defenseman in Nick Mellen to name a few.