2020 Preseason ... | Syracusefan.com

2020 Preseason ...

Per the above tweet, sounds like Media Day will be a week from today - so January 7th.

Desko on early home games: "Comfortable with that. The games are important. Every game is important now... With the parity in the game, it's not getting easier."

Desko on Chase Scanlan and the number 22: "There's a little bit of unknown there... it helped in the recruiting process, using the 22... We're still learning. We had about five weeks in the fall where he practiced with us."

Desko on Scanlan's recruitment: "I thought it was kind of a natural place for him to go. It's a natural place for him to go. He thought about SU very early in the process... I spent quite a bit of time talking to him on the phone."

Desko on Tucker Dordevic's return: "It's great to have him back out there. He's a tremendous athlete... it gives us another big threat to dodge... it helps out our offense quite a bit."

Desko on Dordevic's rehab: "He's handled it very well. I was disappointed, he's kind of had to do it twice. He had to work out a lot last year... I gotta imagine it's a little bit frustrating. For him to handle it as well as he did, I'm proud of him."

Desko on Drake Porter: "I think that the experience he's had in a lot of tight games... he'll be more comfortable this year than he was a year ago, although that was one of his strengths a year ago."

Desko on new OC Pat March: "He brought in a different offense that we've been doing... So we're excited. I think he's done a great job in all aspects. He's fit right in with the coaching staff."

Desko on previous inexperience: "This year if we get rid of a few of those turnovers that we had two years ago... that will help our cause."

Desko on Brendan Curry: "He's always had that great first step... he's got that great acceleration and speed afterwards. And now, because he's going so hard, you have to make good decisions. He's not a secret anymore."

Desko on getting to championship weekend: "I think it is frustrating. Like I've talked about in the past, everybody's good nowadays... For me it's just taking it one game at a time... This team has great ability, and I wouldn't be surprised if we're there at the end."

Desko on close defense situation: "We're still working with that. We have some players that can play two positions... We're deeper in the shortstick position than we have been."

Desko lists Andrew Helmer, Nick Mellen, Jared Fernandez, Nick DiPietro, Jack Kennedy, Sam Schluter and others as possible options at close defense.

Desko on recruiting throughout the country: "You look at a lot of rosters, and that's what's happening... there are a lot of players to choose from... Sometimes it's a matter of timing. You hear about it through club coaches, high school coaches."

Desko on Nick Mellen wearing #11: "I don't mess with that. That's just kind of a rite if passage. The guys who have the most experience, or maybe the best cover defender has been getting that number recently."

Last edited:
No Troy Lauder this season? On the roster it says Luke Talago is #49-- but I noticed that he was wearing Lauder's #89 in the pics.

Not surprising as I know I mentioned it about a half dozen times this off season but first answer on close defense was Desko indicating they may/will bump Kennedy down to close against good attack teams. Thrilled to hear they are considering this already and that its likely to happen.

No Troy Lauder this season? On the roster it says Luke Talago is #49-- but I noticed that he was wearing Lauder's #89 in the pics.

I counted 53 players in the roster picture, not sure if that matches the online roster or not.

Not surprising as I know I mentioned it about a half dozen times this off season but first answer on close defense was Desko indicating they may/will bump Kennedy down to close against good attack teams. Thrilled to hear they are considering this already and that its likely to happen.
also, noted his enthusiasm regarding the Freshman lsm's Clary and Page. Fernandez, known quantity, as well. I think the depth at lsm and ssdm will allow Desko to put the best defenders at close even if that means pulling down Kennedy and Helmer. Agreed about thinking about this already.

Last edited:

Lauder 100% played in the scrimmage against Denver for what it's worth.

also, noted his enthusiasm regarding the Freshman lsm's Clary and Page. Fernandez, none quantity, as well. I think the depth at lsm and ssdm will allow Desko to put the best defenders at close even if that means pulling down Kennedy and Helmer. Agreed about thinking about this already.
On one hand, I like Kennedy on face off wings, but having him on the field 100% of the time might be more important. I guess he could still play on the wings. Defense has me worried a little bit based on the fall performances, but I think there are good pieces there. Murphy and Kennedy would be able to replace some of Bomberry's ability to disrupt offenses.

Last year SU played 4 ssdm's regularly with Small playing occasionally. They need at least that many, and the potential move of Murphy and Helmer to long stick with the only known addition being Oladunmoye has me worried. But, if Kennedy bumps to close, that might mean they don't need to move Murphy and Helmer to long stick and can keep one (probably Helmer) at ssdm. Having Dearth, Helmer, Barlow and Oladunmoye at SSDM is solid. Injuries could screw that up.

also, noted his enthusiasm regarding the Freshman lsm's Clary and Page. Fernandez, none quantity, as well. I think the depth at lsm and ssdm will allow Desko to put the best defenders at close even if that means pulling down Kennedy and Helmer. Agreed about thinking about this already.

I should probably watch the video before posting, but I feel like Desko likes to say he'll make changes based on opposing teams, but I can't remember many times when he has changed up the defense from game to game, especially at close d. He subbed out Bomberry for Dipietro two years ago against Navy when Bomberry was struggling against Jack Ray, but I can't really remember him moving guys around unless it is due to injury.

B Kennedy has definitely proven he can play close, but I feel like it might damage the confidence of the guy who gets benched because they are playing a better team. Maybe it really will be match-up based and Kennedy would only move based on size - but I like two bigger players flanking Mellen and Kennedy is not big (compared to Dipietro or Murphy or Staats). Anyways, hopefully they can resolve quickly, I don't think this will be good if they are shuffling guys around for the majority of the season.

I should probably watch the video before posting, but I feel like Desko likes to say he'll make changes based on opposing teams, but I can't remember many times when he has changed up the defense from game to game, especially at close d. He subbed out Bomberry for Dipietro two years ago against Navy when Bomberry was struggling against Jack Ray, but I can't really remember him moving guys around unless it is due to injury.

B Kennedy has definitely proven he can play close, but I feel like it might damage the confidence of the guy who gets benched because they are playing a better team. Maybe it really will be match-up based and Kennedy would only move based on size - but I like two bigger players flanking Mellen and Kennedy is not big (compared to Dipietro or Murphy or Staats). Anyways, hopefully they can resolve quickly, I don't think this will be good if they are shuffling guys around for the majority of the season.
Agreed. Close defense doesn't change much game to game or within games. It seems they want 3 guys and to stick with those 3. Those who are behind the top 3 often get some time on man down. DiPietro might be that guy again.

I counted 53 players in the roster picture, not sure if that matches the online roster or not.
58 names on the cuse.com 2020 roster.
1578428535789.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom