2020 Preseason ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Preseason ...

Been starting on first line since frosh year because he's productive. Not our fastest mid or prime dodger, just finds the seams and his spots. Believe he had a higher shooting percentage than any middy other than Buttermore. Credit him for listening to critique and advice and adapting to enhance. Not every kid will or can.

Been starting on first line since frosh year because he's productive. Not our fastest mid or prime dodger, just finds the seams and his spots. Believe he had a higher shooting percentage than any middy other than Buttermore. Credit him for listening to critique and advice and adapting to enhance. Not every kid will or can.
He probably had to put in some extra time to create the muscle memory to shoot overhand. It really is a beautiful overhand shot.

Debbie Downer Alert
Optimism reigns but opener arrives in less than thirty days. Lesson learned by many good teams last year is that early games level and greater parity. Colgate can beat us again if not prepared strategically and emotionally. Dont need to get behind that eight ball again.
May be options for d alignments but need to decide soon for coordination. O still has to work out kinks, team with many talents but shouldn't delude a Powell at any number. Should be one of the top teams when in sync together but need to quickly shift air from joyful anticipation to serious focus.

Nothing wrong with this kind of insight, I think the team should heed IT's advice. For me, Syracuse has always been a team that rode emotions, for extremely high highs (the 2009 NCAA Championship Game, countless comebacks), to some shocking lows (they seem to have a surprising Colgate-like loss every other season or so). Desko's hands off approach means the team can be free wheeling, fun and thriling, but the downside means a lack of focus that leads to losses other "good" teams would have handled pretty easily. I think the trade-offs have been worth it over the seasons.

The 2020 Orange team is going to be really good, and while they don't have holes at any particular position there are still question marks. Attack, you have a really exciting newcomer in Scanlan, but you have an unproven new starter in Cook (who is undersized) and a three year starter in Rhefuss who had a down-year last year, and who has been known to disappear in some games. Scanlan will help in a lot of areas but he's not a Powell/Ament/Sowers type of player. Lots of pressure for Rhefuss to step up this year. Midfield is stacked but it can be difficult to manage all that talent. Like LeBron-led Heat, who gets the ball in crunch time? Face-offs were really good last year but they had some bad performances, especially late in games (ACC and NCAA tourny comes to mind). Defense has to replace two starters, and relying on former short sticks might be a bad sign (Murphy/Helmer). Goalie was very dependable last year but still had some tough games, not sure the team can rely on him for 20+ save performance games. Plenty of reasons to be excited, but team still needs to come to every game focused and prepared.

BD5090CB-E8D0-470E-83FB-44C61CB09B55.jpeg

830BA2D9-0D4C-41FC-BA0A-4791491B0D6D.gif

Roster updated (now with head shots)...

Talago now wearing #89.

No Lauder.

Troy Lauder is indeed gone, but I did not notice anyone else. When the roster was first updated it looked like it had the wrong eligibility status for some guys, but looks like that has been fixed. Dordevic is now a redshirt sophomore, Staats and DiPietro are now redshirt juniors. Unfortunately it looks like Dami did lose a season because of suspension and Fernadez did not qualify as a medical redshirt - both are listed as juniors.

Berkman, Jack Kennedy, Hull, and Katchadurian officially redshirted last year.

Troy Lauder is indeed gone, but I did not notice anyone else. When the roster was first updated it looked like it had the wrong eligibility status for some guys, but looks like that has been fixed. Dordevic is now a redshirt sophomore, Staats and DiPietro are now redshirt juniors. Unfortunately it looks like Dami did lose a season because of suspension and Fernadez did not qualify as a medical redshirt - both are listed as juniors.

Katch is still 320#?

Dino needs to put him on the D-Line.

I’m wondering if Dami gaining the year back is predicated upon his academic performance going forward. I recall some coaches (in fball & hoops at other schools) in the past using it as a motivational tactic. Just a thought. I think he’s a potential game-changer & would love to have 3 more years of him.

I’m wondering if Dami gaining the year back is predicated upon his academic performance going forward. I recall some coaches (in fball & hoops at other schools) in the past using it as a motivational tactic. Just a thought. I think he’s a potential game-changer & would love to have 3 more years of him.

That would be nice and good to know it is still a potential option. He has the strength and athleticism necessary and his team defense/IQ should only improve.

Debbie Downer Alert
Optimism reigns but opener arrives in less than thirty days. Lesson learned by many good teams last year is that early games level and greater parity. Colgate can beat us again if not prepared strategically and emotionally. Dont need to get behind that eight ball again.
May be options for d alignments but need to decide soon for coordination. O still has to work out kinks, team with many talents but shouldn't delude a Powell at any number. Should be one of the top teams when in sync together but need to quickly shift air from joyful anticipation to serious focus.
I think dook and UVa will show a lot more determination against High Point this year than they will in any other early-season game.

The only reason Lauder is not a more disappointing loss is due to our large stable of very good middies with potential. We definitely won't feel the loss at all this year and only have a slight chance of feeling it next year due to the guaranteed presence of Lipka, Curry, Trimboli, Buttermore, and Dordevic in the middie lines. He is one of the many guys battling for that 6th spot or occasional 3rd line minutes. Other than that maybe he had a chance to grab some minutes at attack, but now with Scanlan in the righty spot that would be unlikely as well unless he was the first backup, competing with Berkman, Seebold, Nelson, etc. He certainly has a lot of talent (had an amazing toe drag goal in the Denver scrimmage) and Desko really did try to keep him in the fold by having him in during clears a handful of times last year, but we have so many guys at roughly his skill level that it's hard to lose sleep over it. Lack of potential for serious playing time could easily be a factor in him leaving. Hope he ends up somewhere where he gets the time he deserves.

Obviously ethnicity/identity is not what defines these guys, but it is not a great look that we have lost two Native Americans before the season starts (Owen Hill and Lauder).

The only reason Lauder is not a more disappointing loss is due to our large stable of very good middies with potential. We definitely won't feel the loss at all this year and only have a slight chance of feeling it next year due to the guaranteed presence of Lipka, Curry, Trimboli, Buttermore, and Dordevic in the middie lines. He is one of the many guys battling for that 6th spot or occasional 3rd line minutes. Other than that maybe he had a chance to grab some minutes at attack, but now with Scanlan in the righty spot that would be unlikely as well unless he was the first backup, competing with Berkman, Seebold, Nelson, etc. He certainly has a lot of talent (had an amazing toe drag goal in the Denver scrimmage) and Desko really did try to keep him in the fold by having him in during clears a handful of times last year, but we have so many guys at roughly his skill level that it's hard to lose sleep over it. Lack of potential for serious playing time could easily be a factor in him leaving. Hope he ends up somewhere where he gets the time he deserves.

Obviously ethnicity/identity is not what defines these guys, but it is not a great look that we have lost two Native Americans before the season starts (Owen Hill and Lauder).

Good post, hate to lose anyone but as you noted with the amount of players on the roster, attrition is inevitable. I believe that Lauder was playing almost exclusively at attack which while the numbers aren't overwhelming this year you have three really highly thought off attackmen coming in next year not to mention that Cook and Scanlan or only Sophs and Berkman is a RS Frosh.

It's also unclear what the circumstances are behind him leaving. Was it a playing time issue? Grades or something else?

Midfield as you noted doesn't really open up for major minutes until 2022 and even then your looking at Dordevic, Magnan, Fiorini, Rosa (keep an eye on him), Kim Twins, Woody, Aviles (another one to watch), not to mention the 2020 guys (smaller for mids though) and any potential transfer which with Syracuse could be anyone. I think SU has been a bit spoiled the last 5 + years with most guys sticking it out despite the writing being on the wall. It's a surprise we don't have more turnover to be honest.

Believe stable of mids is not as large compared to other years. Only Trimboli graduates at year end so fine in 21" but Lewandowski was loss
Good post, hate to lose anyone but as you noted with the amount of players on the roster, attrition is inevitable. I believe that Lauder was playing almost exclusively at attack which while the numbers aren't overwhelming this year you have three really highly thought off attackmen coming in next year not to mention that Cook and Scanlan or only Sophs and Berkman is a RS Frosh.

It's also unclear what the circumstances are behind him leaving. Was it a playing time issue? Grades or something else?

Midfield as you noted doesn't really open up for major minutes until 2022 and even then your looking at Dordevic, Magnan, Fiorini, Rosa (keep an eye on him), Kim Twins, Woody, Aviles (another one to watch), not to mention the 2020 guys (smaller for mids though) and any potential transfer which with Syracuse could be anyone. I think SU has been a bit spoiled the last 5 + years with most guys sticking it out despite the writing being on the wall. It's a surprise we don't have more turnover to be honest.
Believe stable of mids actually not as large as years past , presently only Dordevic is truly established of the young mids mentioned for 2022 though potential of others good. Lauder had talent but Lewandowski a larger loss going beyond 21. Think Aviles will play this year most likely at ssdm. Two way skills with good speed and strength

Believe stable of mids is not as large compared to other years. Only Trimboli graduates at year end so fine in 21" but Lewandowski was loss

Believe stable of mids actually not as large as years past , presently only Dordevic is truly established of the young mids mentioned for 2022 though potential of others good. Lauder had talent but Lewandowski a larger loss going beyond 21. Think Aviles will play this year most likely at ssdm. Two way skills with good speed and strength

Agreed that from 2022 and beyond only Dordevic is truly established at this point. However, you have Magnan and Fiorini who are prior Under Armor AA and a player in Rosa who as a true frosh just stepping on campus was getting run in the fall ball scrimmages. The loss of Levandowski definitely stings a bit as I think he could have gotten some run next year but SU can always hit the transfer market if need be. I believe the staff is pretty high on Aviles and I think he will ultimately be moved full time to midfield. I am not as high on the Kim twins as some others but perhaps one of them can take that next step as well. 2020 is a little thin for middies so there is room for someone like Woody or Aviles to take that next step for PT in 2022 when Curry Buttermore and others graduate. I would also expect one of the frosh attack in next years class to be moved to midfield as there is only one true middie in that class with all the decommitts (McGuire).

Agreed that from 2022 and beyond only Dordevic is truly established at this point. However, you have Magnan and Fiorini who are prior Under Armor AA and a player in Rosa who as a true frosh just stepping on campus was getting run in the fall ball scrimmages. The loss of Levandowski definitely stings a bit as I think he could have gotten some run next year but SU can always hit the transfer market if need be. I believe the staff is pretty high on Aviles and I think he will ultimately be moved full time to midfield. I am not as high on the Kim twins as some others but perhaps one of them can take that next step as well. 2020 is a little thin for middies so there is room for someone like Woody or Aviles to take that next step for PT in 2022 when Curry Buttermore and others graduate. I would also expect one of the frosh attack in next years class to be moved to midfield as there is only one true middie in that class with all the decommitts (McGuire).
Yeah, it makes sense for some of the attack recruits to move to midfield. Ferris and Birtwhistle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom