2020 QBs | Syracusefan.com

2020 QBs

Frozen

2022 Cali Winner (Rushing Yards)
Is SU involved with any?

Is SU involved with any?

I clicked on the green Class of 2020 banner located in your post, and got a list of ALL the 2020 offers we have out there.
Cursory look is that we've offered at least 4 QB's so far, but 3 of those have already verballed to other programs.

Last edited:
We're going to have to work hard because I'm not sure how many high end kids are out there; same as this year. Already 9 or 10 committed.

Here's a few uncommitted

Tyler Van Dyke 6-4 215 / Suffield, CT
Brendon Lewis 6-3 190 / Melissa, TX
Mekhi Hagens 6-1 185 / St Louis, MO
Michael Alaimo 6-4 208 / Montvale, NJ
Demeatic Crenshaw 6-2 225 / Pickerington, OH
Parker McQuarrie 6-7 208 / Weare, NH

California and Texas have a bunch. Georgia has a few. Not many in FL this year.

Last edited:
It amazes me the struggles we've had to recruit a QB with this offense. Even Amie only came around in the end. Hope we emphasize to top QB's our depth chart and the amount of highly ranked QB's transferring in other programs. Great opportunity for somebody.

It amazes me the struggles we've had to recruit a QB with this offense. Even Amie only came around in the end. Hope we emphasize to top QB's our depth chart and the amount of highly ranked QB's transferring in other programs. Great opportunity for somebody.
Struggles?
Elite 11 QB year one
Dynamic dual threat QB year two
Chips didn’t fall our way year three
This really doesn’t seem like struggling to me
I’m glad the staff is being selective with QB and not wasting a ship on a boarderline kid

Struggles?
Elite 11 QB year one
Dynamic dual threat QB year two
Chips didn’t fall our way year three
This really doesn’t seem like struggling to me
I’m glad the staff is being selective with QB and not wasting a ship on a boarderline kid
We've got no one so far this recruiting season and struggled to get anyone in the previous class until Amie flipped last minute. I agree about the staff being selective and am optimistic we'll get someone good in the next class

We've got no one so far this recruiting season and struggled to get anyone in the previous class until Amie flipped last minute. I agree about the staff being selective and am optimistic we'll get someone good in the next class
So we miss one class out of three and that’s struggling?
I think we are in a great place at QB and the staff will do everything in its power to get a good kid in 2020 and who knows if something opens up in the end half of this year we might get something. I just can’t imagine calling this staffs effort and proof with QBs that they are struggling.

QB wasn’t as big a priority this cycle. Babers had a short list of kids he’d use a spot for should they be interested, those kids chose elsewhere. Barring some quality prospect falling on our lap before Feb signing day, QB will be a 2020 focus.

Didnt really want to start a thread but figured I'd post here

This is more interesting to me because of the mass defections from Miami. But we should not look at a traditional quarterback transfer.

This is more interesting to me because of the mass defections from Miami. But we should not look at a traditional quarterback transfer.

Agreed, They will find a solid prospect for 2020, very very early

So we miss one class out of three and that’s struggling?
I think we are in a great place at QB and the staff will do everything in its power to get a good kid in 2020 and who knows if something opens up in the end half of this year we might get something. I just can’t imagine calling this staffs effort and proof with QBs that they are struggling.

Regardless if the word struggling is appropriate or not, I'm quite nervous myself. If Tommy wins the job and proves to be solid then there is almost no shot that Chance is going to sit around and wait his turn. That's not how QBs work these days. Thats why a QB in every class is vitally important. Very possible situation in 2020 where there is only Tommy and a True Fresh QB on the roster and that would leave us an injury away from the season going down the crapper.

Sure that may seem like a doom and gloom situation but I follow recruiting nationwide and not just for our team and pretty much all good, young QBs that are going to be blocked for 2 or 3 years take off as soon as they feel they can't overtake the guy in front of them.

We have some solid depth at QB in the program going into 2019. If that wasn’t the case, Rex would not be practicing at TE. He’s no slouch and performed respectably in his limited 2017 action.

Regardless if the word struggling is appropriate or not, I'm quite nervous myself. If Tommy wins the job and proves to be solid then there is almost no shot that Chance is going to sit around and wait his turn. That's not how QBs work these days. Thats why a QB in every class is vitally important. Very possible situation in 2020 where there is only Tommy and a True Fresh QB on the roster and that would leave us an injury away from the season going down the crapper.

Sure that may seem like a doom and gloom situation but I follow recruiting nationwide and not just for our team and pretty much all good, young QBs that are going to be blocked for 2 or 3 years take off as soon as they feel they can't overtake the guy in front of them.

So your logic Tommy should have transferred already
The 5 star kid that is going to start at Ohio State should have transferred
Kyle Murray should have transferred
I know this is crazy, BUT some kids actually pick a school knowing they might not start for a year or two
I get it if a kid waits 2-3 years and is not starting due to being recruited over, but I doubt Chance gets recruiting over and this staff seems like they are honest with kids and don't spew the BS Georgia seems to
Would have I liked a QB this class, yes
I'm happy they did not reach for a kid and will make QB a top priority for 2020

So your logic Tommy should have transferred already
The 5 star kid that is going to start at Ohio State should have transferred
Kyle Murray should have transferred
I know this is crazy, BUT some kids actually pick a school knowing they might not start for a year or two
I get it if a kid waits 2-3 years and is not starting due to being recruited over, but I doubt Chance gets recruiting over and this staff seems like they are honest with kids and don't spew the BS Georgia seems to
Would have I liked a QB this class, yes
I'm happy they did not reach for a kid and will make QB a top priority for 2020

All of your examples show you don't really know what goes on. Kyler Murray DID transfer. So did Baker Mayfield who he then sat behind for 2 years. Tommy only sat for 2 years and likely taking over as a RS SO. Same as what Tate Martell would be at Ohio St. Chance wouldn't get a shot to start until he's a RS SR, that is wayyyyyyy different.

We have some solid depth at QB in the program going into 2019. If that wasn’t the case, Rex would not be practicing at TE. He’s no slouch and performed respectably in his limited 2017 action.

Certainly have depth in 2019 with Chance and to a lesser extent Welch. Welch will 100% be gone in 2020 and Chance certainly could be as well.

All of your examples show you don't really know what goes on. Kyler Murray DID transfer. So did Baker Mayfield who he then sat behind for 2 years. Tommy only sat for 2 years and likely taking over as a RS SO. Same as what Tate Martell would be at Ohio St. Chance wouldn't get a shot to start until he's a RS SR, that is wayyyyyyy different.
I do know what's going on as I do pay pretty good attention
I get your point that if you have to wait multiple years and not just one, so my bad on that

I get it if Chance has to sit and wait on Tommy and THEN is passed on the depth chart by another kid
It has to be really hard to sell a depth chart of like we have to a 2019 start QB
Should be much easier to a 2020 kid

Baker Mayfield didn't transfer because he couldn't beat out a QB at Texas Tech. While Mayfield transferred, it's not supportive of your argument.

Baker Mayfield didn't transfer because he couldn't beat out a QB at Texas Tech. While Mayfield transferred, it's not supportive of your argument.

It was him vs Davis Webb who was also a True Freshman and after he was hurt, he wasn't given his job back right away, didn't get the bowl game start and appeared that he was going to be in a QB competition for the next 3 years and he decided to bounce. So explain to me again how that isn't supportive? It's not the same in that he was definitely stuck behind someone but he certainly transferred out of a spot where he wasn't the guaranteed starter.

It was him vs Davis Webb who was also a True Freshman and after he was hurt, he wasn't given his job back right away, didn't get the bowl game start and appeared that he was going to be in a QB competition for the next 3 years and he decided to bounce. So explain to me again how that isn't supportive? It's not the same in that he was definitely stuck behind someone but he certainly transferred out of a spot where he wasn't the guaranteed starter.

A look back at Baker Mayfield’s time at Texas Tech

Because that isn't what happened that caused him to leave.

"Just as inexplicable was the way it all ended. That winter, the day Mayfield won the Big 12 freshman of the year award, Kingsbury and Mayfield met to discuss the quarterback’s future in the program. The coaches wanted to see a competition between Mayfield and Webb, after both saw extensive time in 2013.
Mayfield, who was injured in the third game of the season against TCU but played on and off for the majority of the remaining games, believed he hadn’t been given a fair shot to win his starting job back. There’s some dispute over whether a scholarship was promised for the spring semester before or after Mayfield made his final decision (Mayfield says it wasn’t offered until he was on his way back to Austin, his hometown, while Kingsbury has said Mayfield knew before then)."

It's not because of a QB competition or a place he wasn't the "guaranteed" starter. Diving into it, it becomes pretty easy to read there was a lot of miscommunication and lack of trust with Mayfield and Kingsbury.

To your overarching point, every kid is different. But, comparing an Amie to these top of the rankings QB's that look to move on is very interesting. People were saying Devito was promised to play and that's the only reason he played against Central Michigan. Chance could theoretically (if he doesn't win the job this spring) start when Devito leaves for the NFL next year after we win the National Championship. Who knows what will happen in the future?

We need a QB in '20, but don't necessarily need one in '19, IMO.

A look back at Baker Mayfield’s time at Texas Tech

Because that isn't what happened that caused him to leave.

"Just as inexplicable was the way it all ended. That winter, the day Mayfield won the Big 12 freshman of the year award, Kingsbury and Mayfield met to discuss the quarterback’s future in the program. The coaches wanted to see a competition between Mayfield and Webb, after both saw extensive time in 2013.
Mayfield, who was injured in the third game of the season against TCU but played on and off for the majority of the remaining games, believed he hadn’t been given a fair shot to win his starting job back. There’s some dispute over whether a scholarship was promised for the spring semester before or after Mayfield made his final decision (Mayfield says it wasn’t offered until he was on his way back to Austin, his hometown, while Kingsbury has said Mayfield knew before then)."

It's not because of a QB competition or a place he wasn't the "guaranteed" starter. Diving into it, it becomes pretty easy to read there was a lot of miscommunication and lack of trust with Mayfield and Kingsbury.

To your overarching point, every kid is different. But, comparing an Amie to these top of the rankings QB's that look to move on is very interesting. People were saying Devito was promised to play and that's the only reason he played against Central Michigan. Chance could theoretically (if he doesn't win the job this spring) start when Devito leaves for the NFL next year after we win the National Championship. Who knows what will happen in the future?

We need a QB in '20, but don't necessarily need one in '19, IMO.

I try to operate in a world of where things are probable or more likely than not. Devito winning the starting job and keeping it for the next 3 years? Probable. Devito going pro after next season and Chance then being able to start for the following 3 years? Not probable. And if the 1st part happens then that leads into the problem that I'm worried about. QBs that are really good and are on good teams do not sit for 3 or 4 years waiting for an opportunity. I'm sure that you can cherry pick certain situations but it's extremely rare nowadays.

This could all be moot or it could be reality in 12 months and I'm honestly not sure which I prefer. If it's moot then that probably means Tommy wasn't as good as we hope and if it's reality then it means he's pretty damn good and Chance doesn't think he has a shot at unseating him. Who knows. Guess that's why we're on a fan message board.

I try to operate in a world of where things are probable or more likely than not. Devito winning the starting job and keeping it for the next 3 years? Probable. Devito going pro after next season and Chance then being able to start for the following 3 years? Not probable. And if the 1st part happens then that leads into the problem that I'm worried about. QBs that are really good and are on good teams do not sit for 3 or 4 years waiting for an opportunity. I'm sure that you can cherry pick certain situations but it's extremely rare nowadays.

This could all be moot or it could be reality in 12 months and I'm honestly not sure which I prefer. If it's moot then that probably means Tommy wasn't as good as we hope and if it's reality then it means he's pretty damn good and Chance doesn't think he has a shot at unseating him. Who knows. Guess that's why we're on a fan message board.

If we take a guy that the staff doesn't view as capable, it exacerbates the issue though. Then it's a wasted scholly on a guy that can't play and theoretically is pushed out the door.

Historically, if you end up on your 3rd QB in the season, you are in a lot of trouble no matter who you have just because you don't have the practice reps to have them ready.

Need a QB in '20, but don't think QB depth for the 2019 team can be solved at this date.

Whether it was a mistake to not take a QB in '19? Guess we'll find out this spring.

Oh, I have 0 issue with 2019 depth. It's the 2020 depth that scares me. If Chance leaves and we don't take a kid in the 2019 class then we only have Devito and whatever True Fresh we recruit in that class. That's the situation I am afraid of.

Oh, I have 0 issue with 2019 depth. It's the 2020 depth that scares me. If Chance leaves and we don't take a kid in the 2019 class then we only have Devito and whatever True Fresh we recruit in that class. That's the situation I am afraid of.
And then we'll get a Juco QB, or a Grad Transfer, or a lower rated QB who wants to compete or come to SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom