2020 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training ...

that 3 batter minimum for a pitcher is actually a big deal IMO even though the article calls it minor.
It means that Boone can't overthink things anymore.
It's a good thing Buddy Groom retired or he'd be out of baseball. He'd come in, pitch to one batter, and then get taken out regardless of what the batter did. I believe someone said that was a pretty common thing for rightie relievers.

Wonder if we’ll see more pitcher injuries now after facing 1-2 batters.

1573746440204.png

Rule 5 draft is such a bizarre thing.
It's kinda like what Darrell Royal, in the days of unlimited football scholarships, once said about how a certain recruit that wasn't what we'd consider a 5-star recruit now, but had potential to be a good player, would do at Texas, "I can't guarantee that he will play for the University of Texas, but I can guarantee that he won't play against the University of Texas."

What Rule 5 is trying to do is to keep teams from stashing players in the minor leagues just to use as injury fill-ins and, like Royal, just to keep from having to face them. Either protect them with one of your slots, or let them try to make another team if they're drafted.

It's kinda like what Darrell Royal, in the days of unlimited football scholarships, once said about how a certain recruit that wasn't what we'd consider a 5-star recruit now, but had potential to be a good player, would do at Texas, "I can't guarantee that he will play for the University of Texas, but I can guarantee that he won't play against the University of Texas."

What Rule 5 is trying to do is to keep teams from stashing players in the minor leagues just to use as injury fill-ins and, like Royal, just to keep from having to face them. Either protect them with one of your slots, or let them try to make another team if they're drafted.
I guess. The mechanics of MLB and the minor leagues are just so bizarre. This is one manifestation.

I guess. The mechanics of MLB and the minor leagues are just so bizarre. This is one manifestation.
And it could get even worse. This article (may be behind NYT paywall) talks about how MLB wants to cut ties with certain whole leagues in the minors, not just teams.

Bye bye Birdie. Good moves. Protect the future not failures of the past.

No insurance payout for final year of contract, so no reason to keep him around. I’d be surprised if he ever plays a MLB game again. He’ll announce his retirement after the WS next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom